Jan 16, 2002, 09:32 PM
Thread OP

Mountain Models Switchback 3D

When Doug asked me about building a beta kit for his new design it took me about two seconds to respond back...yes. Can you blame me! I am building the flat wing aileron version. The kit arrived at my door today and it took me about three minutes to have it down in the shop and glue starting to flow! I have built two Duskstiks, and the Urbanflyer, both are excellent flyers. I asked Doug if he would like me to post some pictures of the building process and he agreed...let's get to it! The first picture are the laser cut parts that make up the Switchback 3D, very efficient use of wood.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 16, 2002, 09:40 PM
Mmmmmmm Fresh Balsa!! I can smell the CA burns in my eyes and nose as I look at those flats. Yummy.
Jan 16, 2002, 09:41 PM
Thread OP
Here is a picture of the horizontal stab, vertical is built the same way. At this point don't bother having your razor ready because you won't need it, all parts in the tail are laser cut!!!!!! The tail section takes about 1 hour to build and sand ready to cover!
Jan 16, 2002, 09:51 PM
Thread OP
Here is the basic wing structure, the holes in the ribs I drilled for ventilation of heat build up when covering. The wing as you see it in this picture is about 45 minutes of work. Note, leading edge is a hardwood dowel so put away your razor plane and sandpaper!

So far parts fit is perfect, instruction booklet excellent, quality of wood supplied is also excellent. I hope these pictures help anyone thinking about building this airplane. Please ask any questions and I will do my best to answer them and I'm sure Doug will jump in and answer them also!
Jan 16, 2002, 09:59 PM
Mountain Models Wannabe
This last post demonstrates why I asked John to be a beta tester. He is a first rate builder and decided that the ribs needed the ventelation holes in them. I'll change the files to add the holes to the ribs. Only takes a few seconds to have the laser do it.

Doug
Jan 16, 2002, 10:13 PM
Crash Master
From the looks of it, you don't need the full-size plans for the layout, or the instructions, it all 'falls into place'. IMPRESSIVE!

Are there enough components to build all 3 wings? Or, will you need more material?

All the sticks look pre-cut to length... What does Xacto think of this?

Call it an ARG... Almost Ready to Glue!
Jan 16, 2002, 10:29 PM
Mountain Models Wannabe
Regarding xacto, my lawyers and their lawyers have been going back and forth on that one. Seriously, you need to cut the spars and leading edge to length. That's it. I'm trying to make a kit where you toss all the parts into a bag, shake, and pour out an airplane.

The kit will make only one wing type so you will need to order the type you want. Additional wing kits will be available and the different types will all fit the same fuselage.

Doug
Jan 16, 2002, 10:35 PM
Looks very nice. When can we order?

CharlesD
Jan 16, 2002, 10:41 PM
Mountain Models Wannabe
Charles, I always try to get my orders out the next day so I don't want to take any advance orders. I will try to be ready to start shipping within a week.

Doug
Jan 16, 2002, 10:50 PM
Sounds good. What motors/props/betteries did you test out and what did you end up liking best? Also what kind of covering is suggested?

CharlesD
Jan 16, 2002, 11:01 PM
Mountain Models Wannabe
I'm still testing...

Currently, my Switchback is running a GWS EPS 370B with a 9x7 prop and an 8 cell 720mAH NiMH pack. I'm playing with some Nicad options to squeeze more performance out of it but I don't know if it will be worth it.

I include clear covering with the kit but can also sell SolarFilm Lite which is lighter.

Doug
Jan 17, 2002, 12:44 AM
What Canary?
One of the many nice features of this design is the battery compartment, It is big, and adds to the plane's versitility. I put a pack of 8 600AE's in mine and really liked the way it flew. The extra weight and current capability made it faster so it handled winds very well (BTW, did Doug mention vertical?). I then put a pack of 8 600NiMH's in it and it can fly slow. Heck, I may even try it at our next indoor session Now I need to talk him into making a separate wing kit so I can make a clipped wing "pylon 3D"
Jan 17, 2002, 08:11 AM
Me and my checkbook are standing by... Have you gotten the deans connectors back in stock??
Jan 17, 2002, 10:44 AM
Thread OP
Yep, the big battery compartment does allow alot of different size batteries to be used. That's one of the first things I noticed about the plane.
Jan 17, 2002, 12:06 PM
FLYER spelled I-squared-R
I received my beta kit yesterday. Last night was busy, so I only had about an hour to work on it. I did all of the control surfaces and stabilizers in about 45 minutes! It really is like simple a jig saw puzzle. Absolutely no cutting balsa for the these parts.

I used Doug's "hold and glue" approach with thin CA, so I didn't even need to use pins. Just put a piece of wax paper between the plan and the parts.

More reports after this evening's session...

David

Quick Reply