AP at Shenandoah National Park - RC Groups
Jun 23, 2004, 11:57 AM

AP at Shenandoah National Park

Here are some pics from Shenandoah National Park this past weekend. I flew at Big Meadows several times and once at Beagle Gap, near the southern end of Skyline Drive. I have been flying an Aiptek Mega Pencam for several months, but just bought this new Aiptek Pencam SD and flew it this weekend for the first time. The new Aiptek Pencam SD holds SD memory cards. I have a 120 MB card in it and it held 337 pictures before it filled up. These are some of the better pics. I have more pics posted at my website at: http://www.chrisgood.com/rcplanes/ae...tos/index.html. I used Mr. RC-Cam's PIC (programmable integrated circuit) switch to control both the Mega Pencam and the Pencam SD. It works great!

More pics have now been posted at: http://www.chrisgood.com/parks/shena...henandoah.html
Last edited by chrisgood; Jun 24, 2004 at 05:08 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 23, 2004, 04:23 PM

Shenandoah National Park

chrisgood,

Thanks for posting the neat pics of the Shenandoah National Park. I grew up near Asheville, NC and played along the road there as it was being built. I love to see it and always drive on some of it each time I am back to visit.

Simply Beautiful!!

Roger
Jun 24, 2004, 12:17 AM
Suspended Account

Old stompin grounds

Boy that brings back memories. I used to fly around there all the time in my real J5 Cub. My wife and I would cruise around just above treetop level back away from big meadows. Then, just when you get used to that height you turn and make a run for the edge. There was always a bit of a downdraft just as you clear the edge and it was a great ride. We would then cruise along the overlooks and have bunches of people taking out picture. I used to fly up North of there a bit too around Blackwater Falls in West Virginial and Forks of the Cocapon up near Romney. Great in the fall with the leaves in full color.

In the fourth picture I can almost see Front Royal Airport off in the valley. That's the first fly-in I went to with the Pitts I built and took home best biplane trophy. Had to strap it in my lap and no aerobatics or I would have knocked myself out with it. Thanks for the pictures. I look forward to more.
Regards, John
Jun 24, 2004, 12:17 PM
Bit-Twiddler and Flyer
chrisgood,

Awesome pictures dude! Love that area. How were the winds?

By the way, I think you could get sharper pictures if you tweak the infinity focus a bit. Some of the Aipteks require an infinity focus a little bit beyond the last stop on the retaining ring.

The method I and others have used is to make a few registration marks on the camera body, shoot the same picture at each mark, compare the pics and choose the best one. The best will have crisp edges and should be slightly larger in size on your hard drive because it contains more detail. The difference is very subtle at first but obvious after the fact.

Great flying and pics. Will check out your web site.

-- ggunners
Jun 24, 2004, 05:10 PM
Thank you for the focus tips. I will give that a try this weekend.

Chris