Jun 23, 2004, 09:03 AM
Formerly "vonJaerschky"
Discussion

TurnKey RC / Mike Roach Airco DH2

G'Day all: I'm starting a building thread on the Mike Roach designed Airco DH2, available as a short kit from TurnKey R/C . The plan first appeared in Flying Scale Models a few years back. The DH2 has a 37.5" span, and flying weight should be around 24oz. The original is designed for rudder and elevator, but I can't leave well enough alone and will add ailerons. Original power is a geared Speed 400, but, I am going to try Nippy 1812/100 with 2 Lipos. That should give more than enough power, with long durations, and also provide a weight savings over the stock setup.
Now I forewarn you, I am not a fast builder, so don't expect daily updates. I'm hoping to have her flying before September.
A few words about the short kit from Turnkey. The parts are all laser cut, and they are very, very nicely done. Just look at all those ribs. I'm sure glad I don't have to cut them out. The short kit consists of all the ribs, formers, and 1/64 ply fuselage sheeting, and pre-cut gussets. It's well worth the money, in my opinion. Turnkey also provided a Graupner Speed 400 6V motor, but I won't be using that, as noted above.
I have attached some pictures of the short kit. Forgive the lighting, I'll need to work on it.
Last edited by Wolpertinger; Jun 23, 2004 at 10:25 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 23, 2004, 09:14 AM
Good for you.

I have been wanting to see one of these for a long time. Good luck.

Jim
Jun 23, 2004, 10:32 AM
Formerly "vonJaerschky"
The sequence of assembly is important with this model, as it is a one piece and of unconventional design. The first thing to do is make the cabane struts from 2 laminations of 1/16 ply. These struts determine the location and incidence of the top wing, so accuracy is important. I suppose you could make the struts out of 1/8 ply, but I think making them form 2 lams of 1/16 and alternating the grain results in a stiffer strut. By the way, the plans are not included in the short kit, so you will need to order them from Flying Scale Models
Jun 23, 2004, 10:55 AM
easily confused
This one's sure on the watch list

Glenn
Jun 23, 2004, 10:56 AM
D W
D W
I love you man.
Since you're using the Nippy why not see if you can make a true to scale rotary engine? Dare has vac-formed rotarys that maybe you could cover the motor with and get it to spin like the real thing. I THINK this would work, always wanted to give it a try myself. Looking for a guinea pig....
Watching your build with great interest.

-David-
Jun 23, 2004, 11:19 AM
Formerly "vonJaerschky"
DW - I wondered about that scale rotary idea myself. I put forth the suggestion a while back, but most thought it was not a good idea. Cylinders could easily detach from the housing throwing things out of balance. I thought that it would be very scale, watching the resulting vibration thrash the airframe to pieces and have it tumble from the sky..... The plans do show a dummy 9 cylinder Monosoupape rotary that is stationary on the model.
Jun 23, 2004, 11:43 AM
D W
D W
I love you man.
Dare has 9 cylinder radials in the proper scale:
http://www.darehobby.com/accessories-scaleradial.htm

There is no way you'd throw a cylinder as they are vac-formed as two pieces, front and back.
They have WWI rotarys too. Advertised in mags, not on website yet.

Give it a try!

P.S.
I'll most likely be doing the R/N Leveque 1912 flying boat next and would like to see if the scale rotary 'll work!

-David-
Jun 23, 2004, 01:08 PM
DW,

What motor is that you have in that GWS gearbox?

Jim
Jun 23, 2004, 02:26 PM
D W
D W
I love you man.
Astroflight 010. GB from AeroMicro.
For Flyline Curtiss Robin.

-David-
Jun 23, 2004, 04:31 PM
Here is a picture of a DH2 built by a friend which I used as a test bed for a home-built brushless.

Flew on rudder/elevator (ailerons would have been a help).
AUW=24oz
Jun 24, 2004, 04:57 AM
That is a nice DH2...........I notice that the motor is hanging way aft!, was that to balance the model?
Is this the Mike Roach plan?

Ian
Jun 24, 2004, 06:47 AM
I think it is the Mike Roach plan (would need to confirm with the builder)

The motor was just hanging back a bit as it was the easiest temporary fixing.

The model was a bit tricky to fly on rudder&elevator.
Jun 24, 2004, 08:41 AM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
My favorite plane of this era. Still looking for a design of one that flies well enough to enjoy. I'll be watching.
Jun 24, 2004, 11:41 AM
This is the next plane on my que, so I am eagerly listening to this thread. Thanks for posting 'the process'. Looks like it will be a challening project. Good luck with the build. That is one fine looking DH2. I like the color scheme.

Alex
Jun 24, 2004, 12:23 PM
Formerly "vonJaerschky"
I told you I was not a fast builder! Here's the two fuselage sides with struts and 1/64 pre-cut ply reinforcements in place. Note the reinforcements go on the inside only, so make sure you make a right and left side. (Geez, how many times have we heard that before!?) I can't stress enough how important it is to have the struts at the right length and angle. This determines the location and incidence of the top wing. I built the two sides on top of each other with plastic wrap in between to insure they were the same. It's also a good idea to sand the corners of the struts round before gluing them in. Make sure you only sand the part that does not sit inside the fuselage and top wing. And now on to some formers....
Last edited by Wolpertinger; Jun 24, 2004 at 02:41 PM.