Aug 16, 2019, 02:34 AM
Yeah,the problem is the links...They are too long. I have already cut them down as much as i could,i have left 1-1.5mm of thread on them,i cant shorten them anymore.If i move the servo forward i get too much angle and toe in. Ideally i need 1.5-3 degrees of toe out,not in. So,2 solutions....Either ditch the links and 3d print some sorter ones,or reduce the distance between the balls on the servo arm
to remove ads between posts
Aug 18, 2019, 01:52 AM
Low budget fun
Here's what I found in Mini RC DRiFT ⛐ World Car Community fb group.
Aug 22, 2019, 01:11 PM
I just picked up at gp hobby s918 off Amazon prime for 50$ and figured I'd share my evaluation of it's stock setup for reference. There didn't seem to be any detailed summary on YouTube about this particular flavor of the car.

Center shaft is metal and swing shafts are plastic. Swing shaft length looks to be about 11mm from the peg in the diff cup to the peg in the hub u joint. Diffs are plastic and locked. Shocks are all binding various amounts and springs are way to stiff for the suspension to do anything at all so I moved the most free ones to the front and took out all the preload clips. I was gonna put softer springs on but with so much binding in the plastic shock bodies it's pointless. There are bearings in the hubs. Drivetrain was free running and seemed meshed ok. Suspension has various mold imperfections making it a bit stiff in places as expected. Too much front toe in stock. I took a heat gun and put a curve in the steering rack at each end making it shorter to force toe out. This put the steering linkage against the servo saver so I swapped it for a longer standard horn which both have me the clearance i needed and increased steering throw. All the threaded balls are plastic (sigh). Rear toe was basically 0. The radio is the same as the jjrc and has no dead zone for steering or throttle which is a relief. I added 7.5g weight to the front and a D-Link gyro.

Verdict, after a few minor tweaks and some gyro cheating, it's super predictable and easy/fun to drift. I'm not sure if this particular model is any better or worse off overall with the amount of work it requires or the quality of stock parts. I didn't do a ton of research. Basically my take on the S918 is
Radio good
Ball links bad
Springs/shocks bad
Swing shafts bad
Prime 1 day shipping for instant gratification is fantastic! Lol
The rest seems about the same as the other cars
Last edited by NotFastEnuf; Aug 22, 2019 at 01:22 PM.
Aug 28, 2019, 01:16 PM
Wow, 186 page thread... And no activity in a week. Guess I'm pretty late to the party. ROFL
Aug 29, 2019, 03:19 AM
Low budget fun
The GP Hobby is a variation of JJRC Q35 with drift tyres so those results are to be expected.
It's a pretty durable car though.

For no activity for the past few weeks, well, I'm working on the fix for Aluminium upgrade for WLtoys right now.
Aug 29, 2019, 03:28 AM
Hi guys. I'm back with a new toy based on a k989. This time, it's a 1/24 scale rally car and as I'm french it's a CitroŽn DS3 WRC drived by Sebastien Loeb and Daniel Elena, 9 times World champion. For this car, I wanted to be close of the 1:1 scale architecture and to reach this goal I put the motor on the front and added a central diff. As usual, everything is handmade.

If you enjoy it and want to see more details about this car, you can have a look on the french forum where I introduce my cars (link below).
http://tritons.are.free.fr/LosiMicro...p?f=26&t=30835
Aug 29, 2019, 07:00 AM
I wore through the stock onion skins on the s918 in about a week. Had to print some new tires. My only drift space is the driveway which is not exactly smooth concrete so I don't think decent legit drift tires would last much longer.

My experience with printed abs tires is that they seem to have a bit more traction than the original tires so speeds are up, I'm using alot more throttle to initiate and hold a drift, and transitions are a little harder. I may need to go brushless for that more immediate low end torque to help in breaking it loose.

My "wheels" are also turning on a single all in one solution for brushless ESC/gyro/receiver/and maybe assignable rgb light controller. I think a PCB could be pulled off that is approximately the same size as the stock unit. Coming from the micro drone world, I'm surprised by how much space everything takes up in land based rc. Certainly seems like we could do better right?
Aug 29, 2019, 08:57 AM
Low budget fun
Try adjusting the gearing if you want more torque.
Good thinking about the tyres. Don't waste proper drift tyres if you play it on your drive way. 3D printed or PVC pipe will work great.

From Mini-Z open class racing you can find some tiny stuffs. For example, here are my Q7 and AMZ electronics setup. But an all in one solution would be great too.

Aug 29, 2019, 11:46 AM
Good point on gearing. That's probably all I need. I have a few drone firmware and hardware projects to get through first, but I'm sure I'll get around to designing something at some point.
Aug 30, 2019, 12:26 PM
I regret a bit that I have sold all of my 1/28 cars! Was a lot of fun fiddling around with them!
Aug 30, 2019, 02:08 PM
Low budget fun
Something new will come around.

This is not really related to WLtoys but related to 1/28 scale racing. PN Racing World Cup (PNWC) this year is going to be fierce. We have new cars like
- Atomic BZ3, the new version of belt-driven car and it got praises all around from day 1.
- Mini-Z new chassis, MA030 EVO. This one is a bit fragile but it should perform well because it has good weight distribution.
- GLA V2.1, new version of the best shaft-driven car.
I'll be following the racing result closely.
Sep 01, 2019, 04:57 AM
Be nice if wltoys came out with a upgrade one. But I doubt it
Sep 01, 2019, 04:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotFastEnuf
Good point on gearing. That's probably all I need. I have a few drone firmware and hardware projects to get through first, but I'm sure I'll get around to designing something at some point.
Nice to see you here too!
Sep 01, 2019, 12:59 PM
Low budget fun
My RWD drift is no more.
Disassemble My WLtoys 1/28 RWD Drift (17 min 18 sec)
Sep 08, 2019, 03:46 PM
Low budget fun
My RWD is revived in to AWD CS once again.
Also how to fix aluminium suspension kit.
How to Fix & Install WLtoys 1/28 K989 Aluminium Suspension Upgrade [Banggood 13th Anniversary] (10 min 27 sec)

Quick Reply