Jun 22, 2004, 06:06 PM
Neophyte hacker
Thread OP
Discussion

Peter Rake Waco SRE

Well, I am far enough along that I am going to bite the bullet and start this thread. Pete has been nice (crazy?) enough to trust this prototype build with a relative newcomer. My second plans build (my first was when I was 15, and no I don't even remember how long ago that was ).

This is how I hope the plane comes out. Not decided on which scheme I will use, but, white will be the basic color in either case.

Power will be geared sp400 initially to meet Pete's 'stock' setup. 3S LiPo (1500 or 1900) and it will have 4ch control.

Comments are welcome and advice is desired.

charlie
to remove ads between posts
Jun 22, 2004, 06:11 PM
Neophyte hacker
Thread OP
First pics. Kit ready to go. About an hour of time at the bandsaw. Made two copies of the plans, one to build on and the other to cut parts from. Stacked up the balsa depending on the number of pieces desired and tacked on the paper part. Used stick paper glue for all. Made the mistake one time of letting it dry and did not get the balsa pieces apart nor the paper pattern off.

Stick fuse is standard type build. I did build both sides at the same time and then split them apart with a razer blade. Pete's deisgn is set up to build the back half and then the front, then join them.

charlie
Jun 22, 2004, 08:55 PM
Neophyte hacker
Thread OP
Next phase, finish the fuse (mostly anyway). I decided to use pink foam instead of balsa blocks in the areas that needed to be carved. Cowl is interesting in that onlyhalf is attached to fuse. Bottom half is "hatch" for changing battery and such. Held on with two magnets. I also used a ply "platform" for servo mount. Actually it was an easy way to make sure fuse was square.
Jun 22, 2004, 08:59 PM
Neophyte hacker
Thread OP
Another place where I deviated was in the wingtips and tail surface edges. I decided to laminate these, with the inside edge being two 1/32" ply strips and the rest balsa. Turned out VERY stiff. Cut 3/16" foamboard forms to bend the strips around.

Tail frames have not been trimmed yet in this photo.
Jun 22, 2004, 09:03 PM
Neophyte hacker
Thread OP
In above, the laminations are not intended to be lighter. I made them the same width as the plans called for (overbuilt?!). The nice thing about the ply/balsa structure is that it is very stiff against bending, yet, allows for nice sanding of the tips to edges or rounding. They are all 1/8" thick.

The tip attached to the rest of the wing structure. Complete wing assemblies. These are plugged into fuse and a crosspiece in the fuse acts as a spar joiner and also sets dihedral. Two 1/8" dowels are inserted from fuse to wing rib to set incidence.
Jun 22, 2004, 09:06 PM
Neophyte hacker
Thread OP
Well, since I am on the road right now, more pics will have to wait. Hope to finish the lower wings this weekend as well as hacking out the ailerons.

I am trying to decide how to actuate the ailerons. Flex sleeves are out cause I want more precise aileron control. Either a torque tube or ailerons in each wing (I have some small cirrus ones that will fit nicely). Am leaning toward the servos in wing, mainly because the wing isn't one piece and I would have to connect with wings to fuse, then install servos in fuse. Other suggestions are welcome.

charlie
Jun 22, 2004, 10:56 PM
Hi,
you could build in Servos only into the lower wings, and then install pushrods to the upper. Those rods can be made removable, so you can hang out them for transport.
Nice model, and comes together nice

Kuni
Jun 22, 2004, 11:10 PM
Neophyte hacker
Thread OP
Kuni,

Thanks.

From what I have found in research the lower wing does not have ailerons, only the upper. The wings will not be removable on mine. I hate assembling at the field, and, since I have a pickup with cover for transport I just permanently attach the wings.

I even thought about pull-pull, but, did not want the complexity, so, in wing servos seemed to be the simple solution. Guess I whould weigh the bones to see what AUW will be like before I make any more decisions.

charlie
Jun 22, 2004, 11:58 PM
Charlie, yippee mate nice to see the work in progress here. Excellent job, I have tried both laminated and bitsa pieces style for wingtips tail etc, before and whilst laminate is stronger they both do the job and down to the old personal preferance. What you have done here though is think it through with that Whisky and then go on to do a crackingly good job.

Servos in wings mate, this is my preferance always, no slop less fussy etc. Ali has some new servos which I am sure you will be able to get over there, they are "4.4 Gms" with 1Kg torque! ! ! They are amazingly light, small and powerful enough for our preffered models and they are cheap too! They are called the 'Mighty Atom' and run at 13.50p ($23 apx) each. If you would like to try them but can not get hold of any over there let me know and I'll see what I can do to get you a couple.
Yep was on the road but had to come home between shows (health, but what the heck I'm determined to get to the show this weekend).
all the best
John
Jun 23, 2004, 12:02 AM
Here Pete, this is a modern design for you ain't it? I'm thinking bigger version would be nice on 600 or bit bigger with AXI 2820/10, hmm, tempting.
See what your lovely building pictures are doing Charlie, they're side tracking me . . .
Jun 23, 2004, 01:11 AM
Neophyte hacker
Thread OP
John,

But you are so easily sidetracked And, yes, the scotch was used in great abundance while I mulled the plans over, and over, and over... Great stuff that scotch. I think you are on the right track with a bigger version too. This one will be just right for my flying areas.

I have the Cirrus 5.6 servos for this one (from my Dumas Hurricane and its early demise ). I will get some of the 4.4's soon for another build I am considering. My LHS does carry them. They are a great shop (Hobbies n' Stuff). Nice of you to offer anyway. Funny they are about the same price over here. Will wonders never cease

charlie
Jun 23, 2004, 06:19 AM
You can for sure carry a pair of 9g servos in a speed 400 model. See my tiggie. 17oz AUW.

When you look at linkage issues and torque rod weights, the weight penalty of an extra servo is very little.

{i]I[/i] think the waco is one of Peter's prettiest models yet.

Should be a really popular design.

Go to it!
Jun 23, 2004, 09:35 AM
Single-task at best...
Charlie,

What a tidy and neat build!

I really like the laminated outlines to the fying surfaces - they look great if the covering used is slightly translucent against the sunlight.

Spookily, there's another Rake Waco thread just started, by Andy M, on the Electrify Forum here;

http://electrifly.uk.com/forum/showt...=5156#post5156

tim
Jun 23, 2004, 09:56 AM
Big gov never Works
Hey charlie, you slipped this thread in on me! Nice job! Good luck! Built two SRE's, both Sterling models. One controline and the other the larger RC for .40+ "yuk" engines.

Always a pretty sillouett in the air.

Steve
Jun 23, 2004, 10:38 AM
Neophyte hacker
Thread OP
Thanks all. I always liked the SRE too. Great lines. As I told Pete and John, this building from plans is kinda fun! A guy could get addicted to it (as if most of us aren't already). Glad to see you here and always welcome your advice.

Vint, I figured the servos would not be a problem. Two HS-55's and the two Cirrus 5.6's combined with 3s LiPo should still turn out really light. Hoping for about 17-18oz AUW, but, would be OK with 20. There's a lot of wing on this one.

charlie

Quick Reply