This thread is privately moderated by Phaedra, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 15, 2015, 01:53 PM
Runway's too short!
Thread OP
Build Log

ASW22BE aileron extension part two

After a long break, I picked up the work on the ASW22 wings again. Lots of things came inbetween, but now that the weather is finally changing for the better I really want to fly this beautiful bird again soon.
Extending the ailerons presents a special challenge mainly because it wasn't designed to do this.
One big problem I encountered was about the steel rond-and-tube to allow the wingtips to be removable. They are very close to the trailing edge, and thus leaving almost no space for hinges.
Second big problem is the thinness of the aileron near the wingtip. Inserting a hinge always causes a bulge on the aileron. When I try to take out a bit more wood from the hole for the hinge, the knife comes right through.
I did cut out all holes for all hinges, but then I was faced with the problem that I just couldn't get an even gap across the length of the ailerons.
So after a lot of trial and error, I decided to change the strategy, leave the plastic hinges out, and use a combination of fiberglass cloth and PU varnish for hinging.

I applied the fiberglass and varnish on both sides of the ailerons, and then applied Oracover for finish.

I had to give up the plan to keep the wingtips removable, because that would mean I would have to make the aileron in two pieces that can slide into each other. But the aileron is so flimsy at the wingtip that this would make it too weak, especially with the torsional forces in mind.
And so I took the easier and more sensible decision to make it a fixed wingtip, which will give me a bit more peace of mind.

I was a bit anxious to do covering, because it has been more than 20 years since I last did this, and my very first piece was a 2-meter wing!
But I soon found out it didn't really pose a problem to get it right, and I'm quite proud of the first result.

And now I need to get started on covering the other wing, and then I can fly her again.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply