This thread is privately moderated by karltrek, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 15, 2015, 01:19 AM
Santa Cruz, CA
Thread OP
Discussion

Replacement Retracts for the 1400mm FMS F6F Hellcat

A few people have inquired on the upgrade I did for the retracts on my FMS 1400mm F6F Hellcat.

Unfortunately I did not document or take pictures during the process. I honestly did not think this was going to work out as well as it did. So this is all after the fact.

I posted links to the items I purchased and I did a video showing to final outcome.

First get the new updated FMS Designed Rotating E-Retract Set for 1400mm Corsair. Motion RC or Diamond Hobby carries them. FMS-Retract-004
http://www.motionrc.com/fms-designed...ceted_search=0

Remove the pin holding in the strut designed for the Corsair. You will have to partially take the retract apart to remove the retaining pin. It's a press in fit so you need to be able to get good leverage to pull it out. Removing the strut on the old retracts is a similar process.

For the OLEO strut I bought a Hobby King Alloy Oleo Strut Set with Anti-Rotation Link .
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...in_Trike_.html

The stock spring in the Hobby King OLEO strut are very soft. It will bottom out when used on the Hellcat. I found a set of much stronger springs at my local hardware store. You just need to look for something that will fit in the strut. Most likely it will be too long. Just cut it to fit.

The gear covers are held on using tie straps. I cut off the screw standoffs on the covers. Then I just drilled four holes into the covers at the appropriate location. The OLEO's have ridges where the tie straps cross over. These ridges keep the covers from moving but are still flexible. The OLEO's anti-rotation trailing link keeps the covers from rotating around the strut. Got lucky with the design of the OLEO. Worked better than I thought it would. Very strong too.

Retract upgrade for the 1400mm FMS F6F Hellcat (4 min 8 sec)

Here is another angle.

IMG 3029 (0 min 28 sec)

Here are some landings that show how nicely the plane lands now with the new struts. At the end of the video I taxi back to myself. Notice how smoothly it moves over what is a fairly beat up runway. Before the wings would be shaking as it moved along. I am very happy with how this turned out.
Greasers FMS F6F (0 min 0 sec)

I hope this was a least a little helpful.
Last edited by karltrek; Jul 02, 2015 at 12:37 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 02, 2015, 07:54 PM
Nice job and super sweet 10th Anniversary Rx-7 in video
Feb 01, 2017, 12:44 PM
Any idea what can be used in place of the now discontinued retractable tailwheel?

Quick Reply