Jun 14, 2015, 07:34 PM
Discussion

Hitec micro servos - very poor quality

I've been flying RC for almost 15 years, mostly 3D airplanes with some mild 3D helis flying. I fly a lot, about 1,000 flights a year with planes ranging for foamie park flyers to 100cc - all my planes are electric powered (so very easy on the servos).

In my first dozen years of flying I didn't have a single servo failure, other than stripped gears in a servo that was my fault. I'm very careful with my servo selection and always choose a servo that is recommended by the designer of the plane/heli.

Over the last couple of years I have had four servo failures with Hitec micro sized servos. Three 5065MG (rudder twice, elevator once which caused a crash). Most recently I had a 5087MH running at 8.0v regulated in an Skywing Edge 55 fail in the elevator causing a crash that destroyed the plane.

I also had a Hitec 7955 servo fail on the rudder of my 3DHS Slick 89 about 18 months ago, fortunately after I had landed the plane.

I'm about ready to give up on Hitec servos, particularly in the micro size. The quality of these servos use to be good but in the last two to three years the quality has dropped a lot. I asked my LHS about their experience with Hitec micro servos and they confirmed my opinion that the reliability is very poor.

I would be interested to know of other peoples experience with these servos and recommendations for better quality servos.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 16, 2015, 09:16 AM
You are always more than welcome to send the servos into us. This would actually be the best method to help enable us to figure out what is going on with the servos. As of right now, the HS-35 and HS-5035 servos were the only ones that had a buggy issue, everything else we don't have any notable high rates of failure.

The 7955 shouldn't have failed, that's our most popular servo and there are zero issues to speak of with that servo.

This all being said, failures are always possible being that servos are always hand made. I run dozens of our micro servos in my personal airplanes and don't really have any issues to speak of (aside from me stripping some gears).
Latest blog entry: MPX Dogfighter clearance sale!!
Jun 23, 2015, 10:40 PM
Thanks for the suggestion but I don't want to spend the money to mail in a servo that I won't use even if I get a new replacement servo sent to me.

I'm surprised that no one else has reported issues with Hitec micros because I know from the experience of local flyers and my LHS that there are quality control issues. Perhaps most people don't put enough flights on their planes to put these servos to the test. I regularly put many hundreds of flights on each 3D plane I own and these issues usually haven't shown up until at least a couple of hundred flights. Although I am strictly a 3D pilot I'm pretty easy on my servos, I am careful about servo linkage geometry and I always use the appropriate sized servo.

I will say that I have had good experience with some Hitec servos in my larger planes. In particular I recently sold a 3DHS Slick 71 with Hitec servos (forgot the model) that had 1,100 hard 3D flights on it - impressive.
Jun 23, 2015, 10:42 PM
Thanks for the suggestion but I don't want to spend the money to mail in a servo that I won't use even if I get a new replacement servo sent to me. I simply don't trust Hitec micro servos, at least not on the elevator or rudder.

I'm surprised that no one else has reported issues with Hitec micros because I know from the experience of local flyers and my LHS that there are quality control issues. Perhaps most people don't put enough flights on their planes to put these servos to the test. I regularly put many hundreds of flights on each 3D plane I own and these issues usually haven't shown up until at least a couple of hundred flights. Although I am strictly a 3D pilot I'm pretty easy on my servos, I am careful about servo linkage geometry and I always use the appropriate sized servo.

I will say that I have had good experience with some Hitec servos in my larger planes. In particular I recently sold a 3DHS Slick 71 with Hitec servos (forgot the model) that had 1,100 hard 3D flights on it - impressive.
Jun 23, 2015, 10:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmm
Thanks for the suggestion but I don't want to spend the money to mail in a servo that I won't use even if I get a new replacement servo sent to me.

I must not be using the editing tools correctly. I tried to edit/delete this post and I ending up creating a second, slightly modified message but the original remained.
Jun 24, 2015, 12:39 AM
most exalted one
No point in returns when you are accused of stripping them yourself, even with 10 prior years. Surly notes from techs are never forgotten, when you send 2 in first time ever and are told your fault an will never be covered again. I did not program the servo to do a 360.
Used to be hitec only but now I'm even trying HK.
Jun 24, 2015, 02:48 AM
Yea I don't know what happened to the hitec micro servos. I have 3 sets of 3 hs-65 and 1hs-85 mg servos that I got last year. All worked flawless. Now this year I got 4 5087 servos all are crap they won't return to the same center twice. I tried running them on a 2s lipo then a cc bec set at 7 .4 volts and 6 no help. So I took them out. Then I got som 5085s same problem only 1 worked ok. I changed recievers and radios too make sure that wasn't the problem. So finally I said k it and went back to the always reliable hs-85mg servos. Finally I got some that work. Or so I thaught 8 flights later all of a sudden my plane needs a trim adjustment in the middle of the flight. Something's not rite so I land. What the heck the right aileron servo is jittering from neutral to up about a 1/4 inch. Putting pressure on it won't stop the jittering. I thaught only digital servos jitter I guess not. So now I have 4 bad 5087 and 4 bad 5085 with 0 flights on them and one bad hs85mg. Along with 3 more 85mg that I'm not sure if I should trust. The amount of money I have in servos to try to get 1 48 inch extreme flight plane in the air I could of built another plane. Or got some 400oz Ti gear servos for my 50 cc plane. So now my brand new plane is grounded until I figure out what the heck I'm going to do for servos. All these servos were purchaced this past March or April. I still am flying my other 48 inch EF plane just fine with servos that I got back in September or October. So somthing had to of changed between then and now.
Jun 24, 2015, 10:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4*60
No point in returns when you are accused of stripping them yourself, even with 10 prior years. Surly notes from techs are never forgotten, when you send 2 in first time ever and are told your fault an will never be covered again. I did not program the servo to do a 360.
Used to be hitec only but now I'm even trying HK.
Which servos were these?
Jun 24, 2015, 01:57 PM
I have been using Hi-tech servos for many years. Micos/ sub micros/ stardard etc. When I need a good servo i just use a Hi-tech. They work fine for me. For cheap lawn darts then H/K stuff is good nuff. birds i like get Hi-Techs. I maight be wrong but isn't Hi-Tech Multi-plex ?
Jun 24, 2015, 03:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankar04
I maight be wrong but isn't Hi-Tech Multi-plex ?
Hitec owns Multiplex and Hitec RCD is the distributor for Multiplex USA.
Jun 24, 2015, 04:19 PM
Xpress I have a servo that is very dry in the transmission,what is the correct kind of grease to use on the teeth,all I have in the tool kit is silicone grease the soft version viscosity like thick honey can that work?
Jun 24, 2015, 04:24 PM
You can actually buy the very grease we use in our servos from Tower Hobbies:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXN741&P=7

It is a silicone based grease that won't harm any of the internal components. Just make sure you remove all of the old grease completely, then apply a sparing coat of it to the gears.
Jun 27, 2015, 04:47 PM
Now that I have tested my remaining three 5087 servos, I've found that another one that was used as an aileron servo isn't working correctly.

The servo works correctly almost all the time but very occasionally it will move when the aileron stick hasn't been moved. I replaced it with another servo which fixed the issue.

So that's two out of four Hitec 5087 serovs that have failed on me. Not impressive at all.
Jul 16, 2015, 03:30 PM
On the ol' Interweb
I share your frustration with Hitec products.
Jul 16, 2015, 04:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.A.Z
I share your frustration with Hitec products.
T.A.Z., may I inquire about which of our Hitec products you are using (other than your X4-80 and ePowerbox) that you are having issues with? I am more than willing to help remedy the issues at hand if you will give me the time of day.

malcolmm, PM sent.

Quick Reply