Jul 14, 2015, 11:24 PM
The wind is free, go sailing!
Oh and congrats on your decisive win in the 2015 DF65 Nationals John!
Not only do you build great boats, you also sail them very well, a rare talent indeed.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 18, 2015, 07:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Tushingham
OK, time to end some of the speculation.

Congratulations John & Scratchy, you've just about nailed the concept of the DragonFlite95. It's a lightweight (2Kg all-up sailing weight) boat that relies on a long waterline length for it's performance. The keel bulb will weigh around 900g (depending on the final weight of the production fin), so, clearly it can't have a high aspect rig in anything but the lightest conditions. The profile of the A rig has changed from the photo shown earlier in this thread, but the area remains the same.

Joysway expect to complete the first prototypes by the end of July and they will be shipped to us for final rig development and testing. They have invested significantly in the quality of tooling used in the production of the DF95 and from what we've seen so far it looks to be paying off. We'll post photos and video of the prototypes when the development work is finished. The deck design has moved on significantly from what you might already have seen on the early prototypes, I promise you it's looking good!

We don't want to make any claims about it's performance at this stage as we only had limited time to sail the last prototype before handing it over to Joysway. All I will say is that we came away with a big smile after sailing it and can't wait to work on the rigs with the production hulls. Once you understand the concept of the design the reason for the low aspect, masthead rigs starts to make sense. It also has the huge benefit of being able to be packed away into an easily transportable package - a huge factor if you're considering attending flyaway events.

Expect the boat to be totally race orientated, no lightning flashes or dragons on the sails, just good quality Mylar sails with loads of room for large sail numbers. More information about setup and tuning will be supplied with the boat.

I could go on and on about the detail of the boat, but let's wait until we get our hands on it and we can show you what you're actually going to get. I'll gladly answer questions but some things will have to remain under wraps until production ready, don't want to make any false claims or mislead anyone. As Scratchy says... "....let the speculation (building interest) continue...."

John Tushingham

John,
Going on Mark's Dicks Post#37 the DF95 ballast will be 90% bigger than the the DF65. I weighed my DF65 and it is 550 gms. Does that mean a weight of 1045 ballast for the DF95 which the would equate to a ballast ratio of just over 59%
Jul 19, 2015, 03:13 PM
Things have evolved since then but fin and bulb will be circa that figure. Rereading that post the rudder and compresion strut are the only shared components.
Jul 19, 2015, 06:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzColeman
Things have evolved since then but fin and bulb will be circa that figure. Rereading that post the rudder and compresion strut are the only shared components.
Buzz, I think that the DF65 rudder would be too small for the "95". Maybe John Tushingham or Mark could enlighten us.

John T.
Jul 20, 2015, 05:48 AM
We sailed the prototypes with standard DF65 rudders with no issues. If we find it too small when we sail the production boats Joysway will produce a new one specifically for the 95. As Buzz says, the bulb weight will be the last thing to get finalised when the exact weight of the boat is known in production form. It will be maximum weight to bring the boat up to it's designed all-up sailing weight.

John Tushingham
Jul 20, 2015, 06:22 AM
Quote:
We sailed the prototypes with standard DF65 rudders with no issues. If we find it too small when we sail the production boats Joysway will produce a new one specifically for the 95. As Buzz says, the bulb weight will be the last thing to get finalised when the exact weight of the boat is known in production form. It will be maximum weight to bring the boat up to it's designed all-up sailing weight.

John Tushingham
John, thanks for the reply. I was just going on the pics that Mike put on Post#15 where the rudder looks to be a different shape and size to the DF65.

Cheers,

John T.
Jul 28, 2015, 02:30 PM

Update

Radsail, John Tushingham,
Any updates on the 95? Spoke with (email) with someone from Atomik and they knew very little about the boat. Not sure if they will get it or if Joysway will have them stock it.

Windward RC, you know folks at Atomik. Any updates from them? Really want to get one when available. Thanks quys.

Stringfly <>++++
Jul 28, 2015, 05:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by STRINGFLY
Any updates on the 95? Spoke with (email) with someone from Atomik and they knew very little about the boat. Not sure if they will get it or if Joysway will have them stock it.

Windward RC, you know folks at Atomik. Any updates from them? Really want to get one when available. Thanks quys.

Stringfly <>++++
Stringfly, have a look at post #50 on this thread. I don't think we will hear anymore until the prototype testing is completed and the production specs are finalised. Looks like we may have to wait to get it for a Christmas present!
Jul 28, 2015, 06:47 PM
DF65/No Excuses, Just Sailing!
Quote:

Stringfly <>++++
Nope Ive got a call onto my contacts there, will let you know when I know!
Jul 29, 2015, 04:01 AM
We expect Joysway will be ready to ship the first two prototypes in around a week from now. We've then got all the rig development to do, but we'll start publishing photos and video of those boats. The plan is to have the boat fully available by the year end. Provided there are no major problems I'm sure Joysway will be on schedule.
Jul 29, 2015, 06:23 AM
Quote:
We expect Joysway will be ready to ship the first two prototypes in around a week from now. We've then got all the rig development to do, but we'll start publishing photos and video of those boats. The plan is to have the boat fully available by the year end. Provided there are no major problems I'm sure Joysway will be on schedule.
John, Thanks for the update.
Jul 29, 2015, 08:28 AM
Thank you John T. and Radsail for the update.
I did hear from Joysway:
this sailboat will be available for sales early next year. pls go to our distributor website:

www.atomikrc.com , US

www.Ripmax.com, UK

www.MHD.EU, france

www.hobbywarehouse.com.au , Australia

to buy this boat until the time.

thanks

Best regards,

Giggs Huang

Joysway Hobby (HK) Ltd

Well hopefully this year but maybe not but at least they acknowledge AtomikRC should be getting some. .

Stringfly <>+++++
Jul 29, 2015, 08:43 AM
I think availability will depend on pre order by distributors. So Atomic will need good interest and orders to place an order with Joysway. With final production spec still to be finalised, the final price is still to be confirmed.
Jul 29, 2015, 06:47 PM
DF65/No Excuses, Just Sailing!
I talked to Atomik, they just reduced their entire sailboat inventory ( Mostly the ShunBo s etc.) except for the Dragon Force , Force 260 cat , Orion, & FusionCat (which is their private label version of the Binary Cat)

Historically they have not sold through sailboats real well but are obviously pleased with DF sales.

Their order from Joysway will probably be dependent on demand in North America.

If we want to see this boat imported we will need to probably start a Grass roots campaign to let them know our interest.

If you would like to see them bring this boat in let them know you are interested in buying one by submitting a support case at:

http://www.atomikrc.com/pages/submit-a-support-case

They pay attention to these tickets and will track interest there!

Quote:
Thank you John T. and Radsail for the update.
I did hear from Joysway:
this sailboat will be available for sales early next year. pls go to our distributor website:

www.atomikrc.com , US

www.Ripmax.com, UK

www.MHD.EU, france

www.hobbywarehouse.com.au , Australia

to buy this boat until the time.

thanks

Best regards,

Giggs Huang

Joysway Hobby (HK) Ltd

Well hopefully this year but maybe not but at least they acknowledge AtomikRC should be getting some. .

Stringfly <>+++++
Jul 29, 2015, 08:47 PM
Yes, I did put in a ticket. They were prompt in answering me and answered all my questions the best they could. Nice guys.

Stringfly <>+++++