Dragon Flite 95 - Page 3 - RC Groups
Jun 23, 2015, 11:12 AM
Rum River watershed
Thanks Tom for the reply. I've found 2 clubs in my area. One is on the south side of the city (Twin Cities, MN, USA) and the other is on the north side reasonably near where I live. The one on the south looks pretty active but constantly driving through the middle of the city is no fun. I'm trying to find out what they're sailing at the closer club. I've been to their pond a number of times but haven't seen anyone sailing. Of course this area is covered with lakes (almost 15,000 in the state), rivers and ponds so they could be going somewhere else at times.

Update: Just looked at my e-mail and have a reply from the local club: "We don't have sailing classes per se - we have a large knowledge base to help get you started. We have a number of boats in our club. Clubs in the southern part of the Twin Cities have racing but not sure about sail boats. You might have to go to WI for club sailboat racing"

Kind of disappointing, no info about the "knowledge base" either. Looks like I just need a boat that's fun to sail in various conditions. DF65 or DF95 or Nirvana or Seawind or ???
to remove ads between posts
Jun 23, 2015, 12:50 PM
@ CanoeBeyond:

I'm in Hastings (south of St. Paul by about 25 minutes) I will pass on your above info to Joe Steele who is part of the club's team at Century Lakes. I know he was trying to get the DF65 as another "club" boat. I went up for a meeting during late winter. I think the have ODOM and Fairwinds. I was disappointed as I am a "builder" and most of the guys prefer to buy 'n sail, rather than build. The club is the Edina Model Yacht Club. Their sailing pond (North End) is in middle of big shopping/apartment complex just off France Ave. Because of location, sailing can be tricky. Buildings tend to mess up the air sometimes.

If they did add the Dragon Force RG65 - it would be an excellent choice as a one-design sailboat. About 26 inches long, can be transported with mast and sails in place. Cost with radio is about $200 as I recall. You can find them on-line for as low as $170 on up. Try Atomik.com and also Tower Hobbies.

http://www.edinamodelyachtclub.org/a..._boat.asp?id=7

http://patch.com/minnesota/edina/edi...entenial-lakes

What club/pond is sailing up north? I don't mind the drive (less than an hour) if they have a good group of members.

Dick
Jun 23, 2015, 03:24 PM
Rum River watershed
Hi Dick!

I'm pleasantly surprised by a reply from someone in my area. Thanks for all the information. I'm on the Rum River between Saint Francis and Isanti. The DF65 sure looks like a good boat for the price, with good support. I'm definitely looking for buy 'n sail as my building time is spent designing/making front and rear footbraces for racing canoes as well as doing repairs and enhancements for other paddlers. As far as racing, it's more of a social aspect. I have more than enough competition in canoe racing and have been trying to make that a less and less competitive activity (for me). I also realize that I would be a very unskilled competitor in sailing for a very long time.

The club up north that I referenced is the Andover Boat Club. All I really know about them is here:

https://www.facebook.com/andoverrcboatclub/timeline

Originally contacted them in reference to the Micro Magic on their site, but it's too much of a kit boat for me. Have too many projects waiting as it is. As I mentioned I visited their pond several times after paddling on the Rum but no one was boating any of the times I was there. Did not go during their scheduled time of 3-5PM on Sunday though.

Best regards/Ed
Last edited by CanoeBeyond; Jun 23, 2015 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Additional information
Jun 23, 2015, 04:59 PM
Ed - as a competitive canoe racer, I'm guessing you probably have heard of the AuSable River Canoe Marathon (24 hours of racing) ? 240 miles down the AuSable River - starts in Grayling, Michigan and ends in Oscoda, Michigan where river meets Lake Huron.

My dad was stationed in Oscoda during WW2 and he and my mom, (before me) used to watch the races. After I came along and got old enough, I went with them, but spent many dark hours sleeping in the car during the night. In my late teens, the organizers changed the format to a daylight hours race - no night time racing. It almost "killed" the event and now is back to round-the-clock racing, which is what it should be if it's a "marathon".

I wish you well, and hope one of the guys from the Edina Club will get into contact with you. If they HAVE added the DF65, I guess I will have to break down and get one for myself. I have built several full-race RG65's for family and friends, and am about to embark building a new "skinny" one. Hopefully, if they did add the Dragon Force, I will get a chance to meet you some day up there at their pond. Will have to give the Andover Club a closer look as well. Thanks for sharing.

Best regards, Dick
Jun 24, 2015, 12:20 PM
Rum River watershed
the AuSable race is one of the big 3 in North American canoe racing (maybe now the most important). At one time it was billed as 240 miles but GPS has now confirmed that it's really 120. The record of 13 hours and 58 minutes was set by Serge Corbin and Solomon Carriere in 1994 in Gene Jensen's V1 (still one of the most popular boat designs). Strictly speaking "marathon" is a bit of a misnomer as a modern day marathon is always 26.2 miles. Ultra marathon would be more accurate IMO. Anyway it's a very tough race, much of early part is very shallow water (more difficult) and the most challenging parts of the river are run at night. The night vs. day is still a bit of an issue. My nephews finished 7th one year and a good friend and neighbor won it in 1971. His dad (now deceased) won it 4 times. It's a small world.

Hope to see you around. Looks like you're very much into the sport. Thanks again for all the information!
Jul 10, 2015, 06:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Weston
To wet the appetite - initial prototype in action earlier this year
Using my retirement time and looking at enlargement of the pics (Post #15) it would seem that the fin is from the DF65 with the addition of an extended tapered leading edge. The ballast looks a bit larger than the DF. Main and jib booms look like DF ones with new fittings to extend them as is the vang. The rig is almost "masthead" so the backstay will have a big influence on forestay tension. Sails look like Graphites from John Tushingham with his usual quality. I look forward to his update on the design. How does he do it with all the sailing he does?
Last edited by Radsail; Jul 10, 2015 at 07:51 AM.
Jul 10, 2015, 08:37 AM
Radsail

you are correct on your views. the fittings will mainly be from the DF65 with the addition of new booms (for the bigger foots) the forestay is masthead to get more influence from the backstay. the Ballast is probably 90% larger to accommodate the bigger displacement of the DF95

All

with regards to all comments can we keep this forum talking about the DF95, not canoes, ioms etc

Mark
Jul 10, 2015, 07:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark dicks
Radsail

you are correct on your views. the fittings will mainly be from the DF65 with the addition of new booms (for the bigger foots) the forestay is masthead to get more influence from the backstay. the Ballast is probably 90% larger to accommodate the bigger displacement of the DF95

All

with regards to all comments can we keep this forum talking about the DF95, not canoes, ioms etc

Mark
Lol I was wondering myself about that...

Looking forward to seeing this boat!
Jul 10, 2015, 11:13 PM

Df95

The boat will have the option of A, B and C rigs. I wonder what rig is on the boat in the pics - A ?
Jul 11, 2015, 08:37 AM
Gringo42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radsail
The boat will have the option of A, B and C rigs. I wonder what rig is on the boat in the pics - A ?
I hope it's the B rig! Would like to see a larger A rig for lite air conditions!
Jul 11, 2015, 11:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo42
I hope it's the B rig! Would like to see a larger A rig for lite air conditions!
Based on the connecting points to the mast (4) I'm guessing it's the "A" rig. Just my guess based on the DF65
Jul 11, 2015, 02:00 PM
The wind is free, go sailing!
Looking at this photo from page 1, the scale and size of the rig certianly looks like a B-rig.
If this is the A-rig, then this boat is not meant for light winds.
But then again, if it develops into it's own class, the speed will be relative to only other DF95s, even if it is much slower than other 1M boats.

"Don't you just love speculation"
Jul 11, 2015, 07:56 PM
Is there a target price? And is the winch going to be faster and more powerful than the one in the dragon force?
Last edited by Tom Corbett; Jul 11, 2015 at 11:41 PM.
Jul 11, 2015, 10:11 PM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
I'm a little confused on the length of this boat. Is it a one meter hull ? Or is it a little smaller than a one meter hull and there does not fit into any existing class. At least with the Drafon Force 65 you are able to sail in two classes.
Jul 11, 2015, 11:50 PM
I agree with Scratchy. It looks like a B or C rig. An A rig mast and mainsail would be 20 - 30 cm taller. Plus, it seems like the leading edge of the jib boom is way aft of the bow.

But, you know, that is probably a picture of a prototype. The production rig may look completely different.