Mar 09, 2018, 07:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Vick
First I gotta beat you... this being my first officially sanctioned DF 95 race and there being so many boats entered.... I'm really planning on hanging back and observing. I'm used to sailing a Canterbury J...
Laquer thinners a qtip and paper towel will remove sharpie ink or if it's a stick on lift an edge with a xacto knife and rub the thinners with qtip on the glue similtaneously as you lift it.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 09, 2018, 07:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMongr
Greetings from a DF65 owner. I found someone to make a storm sail for the 65 and they also make complete sail sets for the 95. Thought I would pass along this find. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dragon-flig...MAAOSw-uhaicwR
https://www.rocksails.com/
His name is Yann Bonard french guy who sailed at the nats in Naples Fl sail#28 i believe,we have couple of suits within the fleet and they are just fine.There is no rocket science to making a one panel sail other than luff curve and bling,thats why the stock sails are just as fast without bling.
Mar 09, 2018, 08:29 AM
Modeler/ Historian
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tug
Laquer thinners a qtip and paper towel will remove sharpie ink or if it's a stick on lift an edge with a xacto knife and rub the thinners with qtip on the glue similtaneously as you lift it.
Roger that, thanks.
Mar 09, 2018, 04:55 PM
PGR
PGR
Low AltiDude
Make your sail numbers out of Con-Tact brand self-adhesive vinyl shelf paper. It’s thin and flexible so it won’t interfere with sail shape, it stays put until you want to remove it, but it comes off without leaving residue. The numbers can even be moved to another sail suit if you need to. It works on film and fabric sails equally well.

The Commodore of our club has had the same set of numbers on three sail suits over the last 8+ years and they still look good. While I haven’t had to move them yet, I have Con-Tact numbers on all my boats.

Final note: you can cut it with a vinyl cutter (plotter) but you’ll need low-tack transfer paper or it peels the numbers off the sail when you try to remove it.

Pete
Mar 09, 2018, 08:59 PM
Modeler/ Historian
Mineral spirits finished with alcohol did the trick. I trust the lettering is now correct. Graphics finish her
Mar 12, 2018, 11:23 PM
Looks great Stephen.
Mar 12, 2018, 11:24 PM
PGR, thanks for the info. I’ll try that.
Mar 12, 2018, 11:28 PM
I’m working on the Scorpion nemesis 95. A Black Dragon.
Scatter or splinter !
Carl
Mar 13, 2018, 09:55 AM
Since adding DF95s to our monthly Sail Points series, I realized I needed to do something to help me see my boat amongst the fray when all bunched together overlapped on Starboard after the start. Decided to add more colors to my sails. Should help at a regatta when 15-20 boats line up that mostly look the same. Next is an incoming hull in light blue.
Mar 13, 2018, 10:58 AM
You mean like this blue
Name: IMG_1130.JPG
Views: 53
Size: 639.8 KB
Description:
Mar 13, 2018, 11:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredsheldon
You mean like this blue
Attachment 10800693
Yep, got this one on the way...
Mar 13, 2018, 11:32 AM
Modeler/ Historian
I’m curious to see the “factory finish” on the painted hulls. The kit has such a high level of finish and attention to detail at the start. They really do put out a top quality product.
Mar 13, 2018, 12:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Vick
I’m curious to see the “factory finish” on the painted hulls. The kit has such a high level of finish and attention to detail at the start. They really do put out a top quality product.
I'm guessing it will be the same quality as the white hulls are painted the same way.
Mar 14, 2018, 11:48 AM
I want to run a vertical 1/4 inch strip of sticky back along the luff which will be paralell to the mast, this strip of sticky is purley intended for visibility purposes or bling if you so want to call it and will not form a pocket.
H.4 mainsail luff tabling is not permitted
Q. what is tabling in sailmakers terms, my interpretation is forming a luff pocket?
Mar 14, 2018, 12:05 PM
John Ball
The ERS describes tabling as

G.6.3 Tabling
Additional ply and/or folded ply overlap(s) at a sail edge.

The essence of tabling is as a reinforcement at the edge of a sail.

So H4 is quite clear - no tabling.

As an alternative, you may want to use the corner reinforcement patches to add color to help differentiate your sails from the others.

John

Quick Reply