Dragon Flite 95 - Page 154 - RC Groups
Oct 08, 2017, 10:48 AM
Building A rigs and have 2 suits one Cat one Scotch both new, came with a used boat have no idea why it has two A rigs ,what's the talk of the town on who's better,neither come with draght stripes like the stock sails do and i'll bet they cost more too.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 08, 2017, 04:30 PM
Landlocked Sailing Addict
Hi Tug

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tug
Building A rigs and have 2 suits one Cat one Scotch both new, came with a used boat have no idea why it has two A rigs ,what's the talk of the town on who's better,neither come with draght stripes like the stock sails do and i'll bet they cost more too.
The Catsails and the Soch sails both retail for 40.00 which is about $73.00 Australian. In Australia the stock Joysway sails retail for $68.00 Australian - so the prices are somewhat comparable.

I know that Catsails cut their sails according to the template supplied from the DF 95 website and I suspect that Soch might too. This template is what Joysway uses, so there shouldn't be any significant difference in sail shapes between the Catsails/Soch and the Joysway sails. The same grade mylar film is also used (unless otherwise specified). In other words, there really shouldn't be any significant difference in performance.

Joysway mass produces a standard product whereas Catsails and Soch make theirs to order. The main difference then is that the aftermarket sails are customisable - you can specify different coloured reinforcement patches and luff tapes. This means you can pimp up your boat a bit. The finger patch reinforcements that Catsails and Soch use are also probably a little better than the solid patches used by Joysway (but probably no effect on performance).

It's probably not worth Catsail's and Soch's while to tool up to apply them with paint/printing. Because Joysway mass produce their sails, they can apply the flow stripes (along with the class logo and the Joysway mark) using paint (I presume via a screening process).

Flow stripes are easily applied on aftermarket sails using a permanent marker pen (Parcelmate, Texta, Artline etc.) and a metal ruler. You can apply numbers and the class insignia too that way if you are skilled enough. You can erase these markings with acetone if you want to.

The only allowable potential differences in sails are the luff round on the mainsail (which you can vary according to rule H8) and what cloth you use (but you have to use the same cloth for both jib and main and it must be single ply). Some sailmakers out there might be experimenting, but I haven't seen any evidence that Catsails or Soch are doing this.

I use an 'A' and a 'B' rig cut from scrim mylar. These sails are cut from the standard DF 95 template. I chose scrim mylar because it doesn't crease as much as the mylar film - so it will take more punishment. I haven't noticed any difference in performance in these sails from the Joysway and Soch sails - in the end it's all come down to how well I've tuned my rig for the conditions. They look distinctive though........

While there's nothing to stop skippers from buying multiple rigs, there's no real performance advantage in doing so. It's really more an exercise in self indulgence. You are still only allowed one of each sized rig ('A', 'B', 'C' and 'D') at any regatta anyway.

In the photo below (that I attached to an earlier posting) my boat (with the aftermarket sails) is between two boats with stock Joysway sails. If you look closely, you can see that the sails look virtually the same in shape and setting.

Cheers!

Karl Texler
Last edited by Karlthevet; Oct 09, 2017 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Correcting a factual error regarding flow stripe application
Oct 09, 2017, 04:14 AM
Karl,

Flow stripes can be added as described below!

H.11 Sail Decoration & Flow Stripes
Sails may be decorated using ink or paint, but markings shall not interfere with easy identification
of the sail numbers, or national letters if fitted. Flow Stripes may be added using ink, paint or soft
adhesive tape. These are limited to a maximum of two stripes per sail and may be applied to both
sides of the sail, back to back, and shall not interfere with sail numbers or national letters.
Oct 09, 2017, 03:25 PM
Hi Buzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzColeman
Karl,

Flow stripes can be added as described below!

H.11 Sail Decoration & Flow Stripes
Sails may be decorated using ink or paint, but markings shall not interfere with easy identification
of the sail numbers, or national letters if fitted. Flow Stripes may be added using ink, paint or soft
adhesive tape. These are limited to a maximum of two stripes per sail and may be applied to both
sides of the sail, back to back, and shall not interfere with sail numbers or national letters.
Thanks for that - I stand corrected. (Not sure why I mucked that one up - my apologies.....). I'll correct my post above.

That's good news - applying soft tape will always give a neater result. The various on-line customised soft vinyl decal ordering systems may be an option. "Con-Tact" adhesive vinyl (which you can get at any hardware store) may also be an option, but it's a bit heavier and can shrink a bit when exposed to weather (which may interfere with the setting of the sail).

Cheers!

Karl
Last edited by Karlthevet; Oct 09, 2017 at 05:52 PM.
Oct 09, 2017, 04:28 PM
Karl,
Spinnaker repair tape from here is perfect: https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_l...er+Repair+Tape
Oct 09, 2017, 05:42 PM
Hi Pbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbob22
Karl,
Spinnaker repair tape from here is perfect: https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_l...er+Repair+Tape
That's a great idea. You could probably also use this material for the class logo and sail numbers (if you were making your own sails).

Cheers!

Karl
Oct 09, 2017, 05:48 PM
Hi Pbob

Quote:
Karl,
That's a great idea. You could probably also use this material for the class logo and sail numbers (if you were making your own sails).

Cheers!

Karl
Oct 09, 2017, 06:22 PM
Karl, I do use them for corner patches as well. I make my own sails for the DF65 and the DF95.
Will be down your way for the DF95 Victorian Cup in a couple of weeks, might see you there.
Paul M
Oct 09, 2017, 06:52 PM
Hi Paul

Quote:
Karl, I do use them for corner patches as well. I make my own sails for the DF65 and the DF95.
Will be down your way for the DF95 Victorian Cup in a couple of weeks, might see you there.
Paul M
I won't be there unfortunately - it would have been good fun. I'll be up in the Whitsundays sailing something slightly larger. I'd set up for this holiday long before the dates for the DF95 Victorian Cup were decided upon.

I've packed my Micro Magic for the trip, as I always do (sadly the DF 95 is a little big and would tend to get in everyone's way on board).

Have a good time in Victoria. I'm looking forward to when we might have a Nationals in Australia.

Cheers!

Karl
Oct 11, 2017, 12:03 PM
DF65/No Excuses, Just Sailing!

DragonFest USA 2018 / San Diego Aug 8 - 12

We are proud to announce the dates for DragonFest USA 2018 in conjunction with the San Diego Argonauts 2018 Race Week

The DF65 & DF95 National Championship Regattas will be held back to back for the first time!

DF65 USA National Championship :
Wed Aug 8, Thu Aug 9

DF95 USA National Championship :
Fri Aug 10, Sat Aug 11, Sun Aug 12

Mark your Calendars!
Oct 11, 2017, 04:50 PM
Makes sense to group these races together, it should increase numbers to both races as they seem to be struggling for numbers at this level of race all over.

Is there a website for the Nationals this coming weekend? Hope there is some video to follow, loved watching the Canada fleet, some interesting courses, not seen a reach at the leeward end for some time, everyone seems to use gates these days.
Oct 11, 2017, 05:06 PM
Actually the 95 has had the 2 largest RC sailboat regatta of any AMYA class in the USA the last 2 years, so your continuing program of misinformation about the DF classes is wrong, as usual Lazer.

Both DF classes in the USA are thriving and the 2 fastest growing boat classes in all of RC Sailing , attracting both brand new skippers to RC Sailing as well as enthusiasts from other classes as well... in droves.

THE REASON we held both back to back was to follow the successful U.K. model and also to make it easier on skippers who may want to travel internationally or want to sail both classes. Also, the DF classes are truly a national class with each national championship rotating to each region of the USA. Most of the other classes in the USA are limited primarily to one coast or the other with few exceptions, showing the true acceptance and growth of the classes across America. In fact the DF95 class NCR was represented last year, and this coming year by all but one of the 7 AMYA regions, something rarely seen in most class championships.

The tradition at Raceweek is to hold national championship regattas back to back. The DF classes are excited to be a part of this longstanding tradition for the first time despite your running down of our radio sailing traditions here in the USA.

It's amazing how your continued efforts to discredit or marginalize these boats falls flat in its face and your anonymous presence has no credibility since no one knows who you are or your real identity...you are simply a troll looking for a cheap thrill.

You are really going to go nuts in 2018 when the USA hosts the first DF95 Global championship, all your dart throwing will really be in vain, it must really gall you that these "Tupperware boats " are so widely successful and popular despite. your best efforts tyo run them down over the last couple years
Last edited by Windward RC; Oct 12, 2017 at 01:09 AM.
Oct 14, 2017, 06:31 PM
DF95 #55

Naples is Ready

Last Wednesday another DF95 Nationals review meeting was held. Everything seems ready to go. The only thing we could think of was to suggest that those staying at a hotel recheck their reservations and verify that all is OK at the hotel. There was surprisingly modest structural damage from Hurricane Irma, but some older buildings did suffer some roof damage.

Our fall breezes seem to have come early this year. The last two Fridays (our DF95 day), we have had easterly winds of 10-15 which is perfect high end A rig conditions for these neat boats. Shown below are 4 DFs battling for the lead right after the start. Winston Mathews (61) and Jack Wubbe(4) go low for speed while Dick Hedderick(55) feathers up for separation. Randy Williams(54) struggles with a loose backstay.

Look forward to sailing with those coming to Naples for the 2017 Nationals! Dick
Oct 14, 2017, 09:52 PM
Dick its bad luck to talk about how good the breeze is before the regatta save some of that wind for November
Oct 16, 2017, 04:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAJAN SAIL 51
Dick its bad luck to talk about how good the breeze is before the regatta save some of that wind for November