Dragon Flite 95 - Page 150 - RC Groups
Aug 27, 2017, 06:24 PM
DF95 #55

New 80lb., 8 strand rigging line from Dragon Sailing

Tried some of the new line Chuck has obtained for us. Used the red on a high stress point: The mainsheet bridle. Have sailed with it several times and it works great. You can adjust the line with the bowsie, but it holds well once positioned. Good stuff and I got a color that matches the boat color...👍👍👍
to remove ads between posts
Aug 29, 2017, 10:24 PM

New colored hulls for the DF95!

Once again, Joysway has listened to the skippers who sail and race the DF95 and will be offering new colored hulls in 5 ( maybe more ) colors. Available soon at a dealer near you!
Aug 31, 2017, 06:12 PM
Are the colored hulls going to be part of the full kit or only available aftermarket? Any info on price?
Aug 31, 2017, 10:16 PM
DF65/No Excuses, Just Sailing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Corbett
Are the colored hulls going to be part of the full kit or only available aftermarket? Any info on price?
Aftermarket to start with, just like the white spare hulls we sell and the same price. DF95 retails for $59.95USD , DF65 replacement hull retails for $49.95USD, prices may vary by your local dealer in your country.
Aug 31, 2017, 10:21 PM
The wind is free, go sailing!
Hi Chuck,
I need a DF65 hull before Sunday Oct. 1st for the Canadian NCR.
Will they be out before then?
Aug 31, 2017, 10:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratchy101
Hi Chuck,
I need a DF65 hull before Sunday Oct. 1st for the Canadian NCR.
Will they be out before then?
Nope on a cargo ship...

Not in my warehouse until probably Oct 15 or so...

BUt we have 50 of the v6 white ones in stock
Sep 11, 2017, 04:44 PM
New DF95 fleet forming inn Paducah , KY!
Sep 12, 2017, 09:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windward RC
New DF95 fleet forming inn Paducah , KY!
HEY! I resemble that remark! Anxiously awaiting the delivery. Thanks so much for your help Chuck.
Sep 12, 2017, 05:19 PM
Landlocked Sailing Addict

DF 95 Sailing in Canberra, Australia

Hi All

The Australian DF 95 fleet continues to grow. The Canberra Model Yacht Club (which hitherto predominantly sailed 10-Raters) has taken on the DF 95 as well and now sails them every fourth Sunday of the month.

A nucleus fleet of 4 or 5 boats has formed with other club members also expressing an interest. It's congenial sailing - we all share ideas (tuning etc.).

The set-up and tuning of these boats is virtually identical - so is the boatspeed. The racing is close - the winner is always the skipper who makes the least mistakes and drives the boat in the best way!

The photo below shows two boats with standard kit sails and one boat (in the middle) with after market sails. If you look closely at the flow stripes and mainsail leeches, you can see that the sail shapes and settings are virtually identical.

Cheers!

Karl
Sep 18, 2017, 03:45 AM

Coloured hulls. What about the elephant in the room -the under-performing winch?

"Once again, Joysway has listened to the skippers who sail and race the DF95 and will be offering new colored hulls in 5 ( maybe more ) colors. Available soon at a dealer near you!"

I race a DF95 . Nice colours but my main concern is that my boat may not be able to complete a series because the winch is not up to scratch. Coloured hulls is like putting racing stripes on a VeeDub. Looks good but adds nothing to the performance of the machine.

I have two winches. One is good and one creeps. I want to buy a new winch but I am unable to get any response from the distributor (Australia) when I asked if the winch problem has been solved.

Has the winch creep problem been solved?

Elsie.
Sep 18, 2017, 09:52 AM
There is no "elephant" . The "winch creep" problem was an isolated issue on some of the first run DF95s. many didn't have any issue whatsoever. We worked with Joysway to make sure any sort of problems had better quality control and it was addressed on replacements and any new boats that came out and seems to have taken care of the issue. Also the winches really require at least 5.5v to operate effectively some of the issues can be attributed to that.

I am the North American distributor so I can't speak for the distributor where you are, but for me those that did have an issue submitted a warranty claim and received a new winch. If you have a warranty issue make a claim, but if you want to race class legal, then you will have to run the stock winch successfully used by thousands of DF95 owners worldwide.

The colored hulls are simply for people who dont want to paint or add stickers. Not intended as a performance upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsie
"Once again, Joysway has listened to the skippers who sail and race the DF95 and will be offering new colored hulls in 5 ( maybe more ) colors. Available soon at a dealer near you!"

I race a DF95 . Nice colours but my main concern is that my boat may not be able to complete a series because the winch is not up to scratch. Coloured hulls is like putting racing stripes on a VeeDub. Looks good but adds nothing to the performance of the machine.

I have two winches. One is good and one creeps. I want to buy a new winch but I am unable to get any response from the distributor (Australia) when I asked if the winch problem has been solved.

Elsie.
Sep 18, 2017, 03:55 PM
Quote:

Elsie.
I had a winch Creep problem and DSNA accepted my claim and sent me a new winch. I have not had any issue since with my DF-95.

I have also sailed the boat in 20-25 MPH steady winds with a stock winch and it kept on going and going like bring on some more. I did sail in these conditions with a B Rig mind you.

The DF-95 is an awesome boat that is designed very well. I have had a blast sailing mine.

The colored hulls is just another way to make your boat unique and easier to differentiate while in a fleet of boats.
Sep 18, 2017, 10:15 PM
Thanks Windward RC for your response. I anticipated that the manufacturers would address the winch creep issue.

I was looking to purchase a new Joysway winch a few months ago. Inquiries I made in Australia and England indicated that the winch was still a bit "hit or miss". Some good , some not.

Your response: " We worked with Joysway to make sure any sort of problems had better quality control and it was addressed on replacements and any new boats that came out and seems to have taken care of the issue. "

"Seems to have taken care of the issue". Can I infer from that statement that you are no longer having to replace Joysway winches due to creep issues?

I use 6.6 volts to power the winch.

At club level my boat is not "class legal" as I am racing with an alternative winch. I reinstall my working Joysway winch for major events so that my boat is then class legal.

I am looking to attend DF95 Regatta events in other parts of the country but I am not prepared to go to that expense and effort with only one working winch. I want to purchase a new Joysway winch but I want to be sure that it will work corectly.

All I am seeking is clarification.

Elsie
Sep 18, 2017, 10:46 PM
Landlocked Sailing Addict
Hi Elsie

Quote:
Thanks Windward RC for your response. I anticipated that the manufacturers would address the winch creep issue.

I was looking to purchase a new Joysway winch a few months ago. Inquiries I made in Australia and England indicated that the winch was still a bit "hit or miss". Some good , some not.

Your response: " We worked with Joysway to make sure any sort of problems had better quality control and it was addressed on replacements and any new boats that came out and seems to have taken care of the issue. "

"Seems to have taken care of the issue". Can I infer from that statement that you are no longer having to replace Joysway winches due to creep issues?

I use 6.6 volts to power the winch.

At club level my boat is not "class legal" as I am racing with an alternative winch. I reinstall my working Joysway winch for major events so that my boat is then class legal.

I am looking to attend DF95 Regatta events in other parts of the country but I am not prepared to go to that expense and effort with only one working winch. I want to purchase a new Joysway winch but I want to be sure that it will work corectly.

All I am seeking is clarification.

Elsie
The original batches of winches were "hit or miss". The only way to be sure there was an issue was to install them and try and use them. Some worked fine, some didn't.

It's always possible that is still some of that original stock around - which means there may be a risk (albeit much reduced) that you might get a dud winch again. Maybe best to get in contact with Hobby Warehouse (the Australian supplier) to see whether this may be the case.

One of my friends had a bad winch (supplied with his initial kit) and got a replacement from Hobby Warehouse which hasn't given any problems.

If you can't get the reassurance you need from Hobby Warehouse, maybe it's best to order a new winch well ahead of time to give you the chance to check that it's OK. If it's not, you then have enough time to get another one and return the defective unit.

Cheers!

Karl
Sep 19, 2017, 02:02 AM
As suggested check with HWH that they guarantee their replacement parts. From my experience they do (actually have to by law). After the trouble they had with the release of the 95 they were testing each replacement servo before it went out, not sure if they still do. Unfortunately some still slipped through. They have replaced a good number of them. Those that bought a Focus 2 will be in the same situation.

If you are at a race event and have a servo problem and have a replacement 95 servo that also plays up, I would have the non standard one as a back up. If you get protested out because of a known problem after you have taken the best steps you could to address the problem it is a reflection on who you are sailing with.