Jun 14, 2015, 12:27 AM
Purdue Engineering
New Product

Aura 250 Day/Night Racing Quad - Design & Development Thread

Hey guys,

My latest design is nearing completion! This is the Aura 250, a design that I hope is unique enough to differentiate itself from the pack a bit. Since I have a brand new CNC milling machine, it's a departure from my previous 3D printed frames and is my most 'serious' design yet. I originally thought I'd keep it under wraps until the first batch of kits was ready, but I figured it'd be a good idea to get some input and feedback first. With the mini quad market being so saturated with offerings, it's tough to tell whether I'll have a hit or a dud. I'd like to make sure this is the best design it can be before I start cutting them out in numbers.

The most distinguishing feature of the frame is the 3D printed body/fairing, which is translucent. There's a band of LEDs inside which lights the frame. The effect is pretty cool and I'm hoping to give night racing a shot with a group of these. They'll be very visible in the air, especially using cameras without IR filters. There's a cutout to provide access to the USB port on the Naze32, and the camera mount is built-in with an upward angle. Since the body also serves as the standoffs, threaded inserts are heat-set in place for the screws to grab. I'll be able to print them in translucent green, blue, orange, and red. I can print in opaque colors without LEDs as well, but that's boring.

Other than the glowing body, it's constructed similarly to other popular frames. Plates are 1/16" G10, and the arms are 1/8". Stainless steel hardware, aluminum landing legs with vinyl caps, and nylon standoffs for the FC and PDB are included. The cavity between the lower two frame plates is tall enough to accommodate the PDB and the speed controllers comfortably.

I'm planning a 4S setup with Cobra motors, 5" props, and Rotorgeeks ESCs. Should be a rocket! Tilted motor mounts that fit the ZMR250 will also fit this frame, but I haven't decided whether to try them yet. I'll update this thread as I install electronics on the frame.

Let me know what you think! I'm open to any mod ideas that'd make this a hit. If you guys approve as-is, I can start on the first batch soon. Pricing will depend on how many of these things I can make - I have only one 3D printer and CNC mill so it's time consuming. Expect it to be right around the average for 250-sized frames.

- Rocketman1092
to remove ads between posts
Jun 14, 2015, 01:36 PM
Purdue Engineering
The printed fairing is tougher than I expected, so I reduced the wall thickness a bit and changed the interior fill pattern to save weight. Should cut about 15g from the AUW.
Jun 30, 2015, 11:37 PM
Purdue Engineering
Put together the first prototype. Just some tuning and tweaks to go before it's ready for prime time.
Last edited by Rocketman1092; Jun 30, 2015 at 11:53 PM.
Jul 03, 2015, 01:32 AM
finally, a miniquad with some clothes on (no exposed electronics)
Jul 03, 2015, 07:01 AM
Always Building
Quote:
Originally Posted by minimicrorc
finally, a miniquad with some clothes on (no exposed electronics)
+1 very true
Sep 05, 2015, 08:21 AM
Team Crash
Nice little package. Will this be available soon?
Sep 06, 2015, 08:32 PM
Guy with goggles
We had a build party, built 13 in one day!
Sep 06, 2015, 09:08 PM
Purdue Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rook62
Nice little package. Will this be available soon?
Yeah, first run of kits stayed local. Haven't yet seen the demand to make more, but perhaps it exists?
Sep 07, 2015, 01:58 PM
Excellent design, especially the protection for the $$$ stuff.
Sep 17, 2015, 12:17 AM
looks the goods!
Sep 17, 2015, 02:45 AM
Team WarpSquad
My green Aura 250 build. I cut part of the top to stick the lipo pack inside. All the electronics are in the lower section.

Flies great.