Dec 07, 2018, 12:50 PM
For the next build I am going to put the TrueRC Singularity in the nose, under the battery and all all of the things that could interfere with transmission. With the antenna below everything else there won't be anything that can cause a shadow to my reception of video on the ground when I am in normal cruise flight. This will also be much more aerodynamic as it won't be in the air stream. The skid plate will go right over antenna but will have no effect on RF output. With the Dragon Link antenna mounted in the vertical stabilizer I'll have great separation between the two, even better than I had before.

I am mocking it up in my crashed Sabre to get an idea of how to place the components.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 07, 2018, 11:26 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by CG Photo
For the next build I am going to put the TrueRC Singularity in the nose, under the battery and all all of the things that could interfere with transmission. With the antenna below everything else there won't be anything that can cause a shadow to my reception of video on the ground when I am in normal cruise flight. This will also be much more aerodynamic as it won't be in the air stream. The skid plate will go right over antenna but will have no effect on RF output. With the Dragon Link antenna mounted in the vertical stabilizer I'll have great separation between the two, even better than I had before.

I am mocking it up in my crashed Sabre to get an idea of how to place the components.
Generally I put antenna vertically, wonder to know how it is works like this compared with vertical position
Dec 07, 2018, 11:46 PM
What do you mean? His *is* mounted vertically.
The vertical axis of the singularity is down the center of the cylinder.
It definitely should not be mounted in any other orientation besides upside down.
Dec 08, 2018, 12:04 AM
I am not an expert but I believe these antenna have an output pattern that looks like a donut. I expect to have an area of low signal directly below and directly above the aircraft (in the center of the donut). This is common to several different types of antenna and would be true if mounted on top of the aircraft or on the bottom. I don't expect to see much difference mounting it right side up or upside down. As long as I mount it with the flat sides facing up and down it should be the same either way.

Dec 08, 2018, 12:06 AM
This is how I was using it previously with good results.

Dec 14, 2018, 04:49 PM
The new Sabre arrived and I have started putting it together. I have put the main body together and cut out the nose for video antenna and transmitter under the skid plate.

This resulted in a separation of 36" between the 1.2ghz video transmitter up front and the dragonlink receiver antenna attached to the vertical stablizer in the rear.
Last edited by CG Photo; Dec 18, 2018 at 01:17 AM.
Dec 14, 2018, 05:06 PM
One modification I did to the fuselage was to install the battery tray in backwards and cut in a new slot for the battery strap in the new location. By installing the battery plate backwards, the position of the strap goes much further forward towards the nose. I usually fly with my 10,000 Mah 6S battery all the way forward up against the bulkhead. In this position, the battery is too far forward to use the stock battery strap position. Now the strap is in a position that I can use it.

For those that are building this aircraft for the first time, this aircraft is designed to carry a lot of weight. It's just fine carrying a gimbal, gopro, 10,000 battery and a pilot camera. In fact this aircraft is difficult to balance with a light load. You must load up the front to get the CG right. We all want to do our first test flight with a small battery and no camera but this aircraft needs weight up front so you will see videos of people putting large metal objects on the nose to balance it. For extended flight time my 21,000 6S battery fits with no problem.
Dec 14, 2018, 05:19 PM
I am planning to do some extended flying with this plane and I believe that with good building, and properly picked motor and esc, that the most vulnerable part remaining is the elevator. If the rudder fails in flight it's not likely to be a problem unless it sticks at an extreme angle. If an aileron stops working in flight, the aircraft will still be flyable with just one working aliron. When a elevator fails in flight, it's all over if there is no backup. With the stock hardware it's very easy for the connecting rod to come loose in flight and slip off.

As this is my second aircraft, I cut off the elevator from my previous aircraft and used it to create a pair of shorter elevators . Each with it's own servo and clevis pin connecting rod. Each one has it's own separate cable that runs all the way up to the Vector controller. You could also do something similar by just cutting the elevator in half, but I really wanted to have the stock wooden horn mount on each separate elevator.
Dec 16, 2018, 10:04 PM
360 video shot today from the first flights of the new Sabre...

Finwing Sabre 360 video (4 min 5 sec)
Dec 21, 2018, 08:14 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by CG Photo
360 video shot today from the first flights of the new Sabre...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S06g...ature=youtu.be
Enjoyed to watching
May I see where is the camera?
Dec 21, 2018, 09:44 PM
I have added a pan and tilt in front of the 360. The 360 camera is the taller one in the rear.
Jan 31, 2020, 01:24 PM

Finwing Sabre motor constants

Anyone have the actual motor constants and other info for the Finwing supplied premium motor? I would like to do some analysis on eCalc. thx.

https://www.finwinghobby.com/goods.php?id=69

Premium Brushless Motor M2820(3542)
Jan 31, 2020, 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by miniellipse
Anyone have the actual motor constants and other info for the Finwing supplied premium motor? I would like to do some analysis on eCalc. thx.

https://www.finwinghobby.com/goods.php?id=69

Premium Brushless Motor M2820(3542)

If itís like the motors they sold with the Penguin then itís an Emax motor....
Jan 31, 2020, 01:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothvirus
If itís like the motors they sold with the Penguin then itís an Emax motor....
thanks smoothvirus....i also found this Hobbystar C2820 Amazon, and it seems close. It is available in the eCalc dropdown list.
Jul 28, 2020, 05:21 PM
I have changed out my flight controller and am now using the F765 Wing controller running ardupilot. I have calibrated my amp and volt meter so that I can read accurate numbers on my FPV screen and verified the results with how much goes back into the battery when charging. With a 10,000 mah Multistar battery I can go almost 29 miles in 60 minutes and have power to fly for two hours with an average ground speed of 30mph. Or about 95 Km total range when using Lipo power.

Here is a bit of video I shot with a Mavic while the Sabre was flying a test pattern.

Mavic 2 Pro chasing Finwing Sabre (2 min 22 sec)

Quick Reply