Aug 26, 2017, 04:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by moti007
Picture it its very help
Here are a couple more pictures of my setup. From the inside, where the Dubro wire comes through, I have a washer (black), a nylon spacer (white), and then a piece of fuel tubing stretched over the wire to keep it from trying to slide downward. The nylon piece is just to make it so the fuel tubing didn't have to get pushed on as far.

I also upgraded to a proper pushrod and clevis for the linkage.

I flew off grass with the heavy 16,000 mAh battery today and it held up great.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 29, 2017, 07:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenp3
Here are a couple more pictures of my setup. From the inside, where the Dubro wire comes through, I have a washer (black), a nylon spacer (white), and then a piece of fuel tubing stretched over the wire to keep it from trying to slide downward. The nylon piece is just to make it so the fuel tubing didn't have to get pushed on as far.

I also upgraded to a proper pushrod and clevis for the linkage.

I flew off grass with the heavy 16,000 mAh battery today and it held up great.
Thanks very help
Nov 20, 2017, 04:09 AM
Thread OP

Time of Yearly best deal

All planes in the listing of yearly best deal : Sabre Kits down
Last edited by Atflying; May 24, 2018 at 08:58 PM.
Nov 28, 2017, 10:41 AM
Guys, any of you designed the 3d printed wing motor mount, for twin motor configuration?
Feb 23, 2018, 11:34 AM
Did anyone ever set up a camera switcher on their Sabre?

I recently added one to mine. I used this switcher from GetFPV and a Caddx Micro SDR1 camera mounted to the vertical stabilizer. It gives a view that exactly encompasses the full wingspan, and looks really cool. I can't wait to try it in flight.

I'm hoping that it's a stable image in flight, and not vibrating too much from prop wash and aero loads.
Feb 24, 2018, 02:12 PM
Live Free and Fly
I have a camera switcher on one of my wings so I can switch from the front camera to one that is pointed straight down. Pretty neat view. If the prop wash is too bad, chop the throttle and glide and the view will be stunning I'm sure.

Feb 24, 2018, 08:21 PM
Looking straight down sounds cool. My pan/tilt on the front can look pretty far down, but not all the way.

Good point point about just enjoying the view during descent if propwash causes some undesirable effects.

I think looking forward at the plane from the tail will be a cool experience. It’s like 3PV (3rd person view)!
May 24, 2018, 05:22 PM
Just ordered one..

Think this will do well as a 1 hour flyer..
Nov 26, 2018, 02:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanordave
Just ordered one..

Think this will do well as a 1 hour flyer..
I am able to get 90 minute flights. I just ordered a second one myself.
Nov 26, 2018, 06:34 PM
Last weekend I crashed my Saber due to a mid air collision with a large combat wing at our field. The wing completely removed the tail of the Saber and it did a nose dive from 200'. A new foam kit is just $100 so I ordered one.

I thought this was a good opportunity to show how my long range Li-ion pack fits into the nose of the Saber. The photos below are a 21,000 mah 6S pack from FPV-Power. The pack weighs 1,824g just a bit more than the 1,200g that the 10,000 6s multistar weighs. The Sable is able to take off with this load using 1/2 flaps, full power and a good strong hand hand toss. Based on the numbers I am getting in terms of draw and estimated minimum operating voltage, I should be able to fly with this battery for well over 2 hours.

With the crash (and nose removed) was an opportunity to show how the battery fits. The Li-Ion was not in the aircraft at the time of the crash.

I always use velcro on the bottom of my batteries but I find on this aircraft that it is helpful to not run the velcro all the way to the end. I usually always want the battery all the way forward. I find it easier to install and remove the batteries if the front 1/3 of the battery does not have any velcro on it so I can slide it in and out.
Nov 27, 2018, 07:48 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by CG Photo
Last weekend I crashed my Saber due to a mid air collision with a large combat wing at our field. The wing completely removed the tail of the Saber and it did a nose dive from 200'. A new foam kit is just $100 so I ordered one.

I thought this was a good opportunity to show how my long range Li-ion pack fits into the nose of the Saber. The photos below are a 21,000 mah 6S pack from FPV-Power. The pack weighs 1,824g just a bit more than the 1,200g that the 10,000 6s multistar weighs. The Sable is able to take off with this load using 1/2 flaps, full power and a good strong hand hand toss. Based on the numbers I am getting in terms of draw and estimated minimum operating voltage, I should be able to fly with this battery for well over 2 hours.

With the crash (and nose removed) was an opportunity to show how the battery fits. The Li-Ion was not in the aircraft at the time of the crash.

I always use velcro on the bottom of my batteries but I find on this aircraft that it is helpful to not run the velcro all the way to the end. I usually always want the battery all the way forward. I find it easier to install and remove the batteries if the front 1/3 of the battery does not have any velcro on it so I can slide it in and out.
Thanks for sharing, do you have the video two planes meeting in the air
Nov 27, 2018, 05:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atflying
Thanks for sharing, do you have the video two planes meeting in the air
I did not have a camera running on the day the tail came off but I do have some video of the Sabre in combat...

Aerial combat wings chase Finwing Saber (5 min 57 sec)
Nov 27, 2018, 09:29 PM
Here is another video with more contact...

Aerial combat Wings vs Finwing Sabre (3 min 16 sec)
Dec 01, 2018, 09:28 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by CG Photo
Here is another video with more contact...

https://youtu.be/GMao_ukE5YI
Thanks! that's interesting and fun to fly
Dec 07, 2018, 12:39 PM
With my next Sabre build I want to take more care in planning on the placement of components. The first time around I took the advice of putting the Video TX out on one wing and the radio antenna out on the other. I do think this is the best placement if you are looking for the absolutely best placement for radio signals and are right on the limits of transmitter reception. If you are going for a record distance run, you can't beat placing the antennas out on the wings.

But there are problems with putting them on the wings. For one you have to balance the weight of the aircraft left to right. The video TX is much heavier than the control RX. So if you want a wing camera, it should on on the side RX, except that will interfere with reception. So maybe some dead weight on the wing is needed if shifting batteries can't get it done.

I run outputs from my dragon link to control my pan and tilt and it gets to be a lot of connections between the RX and the aircraft in order to remove the wing. I much prefer to have the RX mounted inside the aircraft. After experimenting a bit I ended up putting my Dragon link RX control antenna on the tail of the aircraft along the front edge of the rudder and the video TX at the front of the aircraft with the other noisey things like the video camera and other electronics. This layout does not affect my usable range at the distances I fly.

I have also switched from a full size 1.3ghz cloverleaf to a more compact TrueRC Singularity antenna on the aircraft. Here is a photo of how I was using it on the top of the battery hatch near the front of the aircraft.

Quick Reply