Finwing Sabre FPV/UAV Elite___ Support / Build / Discussion - Page 2 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jun 15, 2015, 04:46 AM
great looking aircraft , specially for aerial mapping and long range fpv
to remove ads between posts
Jun 15, 2015, 12:57 PM
Hello,

I have been a long time fan of the Finwing Penguin and Titan. I have been into FPV of all types for around 5 years and the RC hobby in general since a child.

I would love the opportunity to provide a detailed photo and video build log and review of the Sabre.

Here is my current Penguin setup.

#############################

Plane:

- Finwing Penguin V2 ARF with M2815 Motor
-Castle Creations Phoenix Edge 75 ESC
- Zippy Compact 5000mAh 4S LiPo battery
- uThere Ruby Autopilot & OSD
- IBCrazy 1.3GHz Mad Mushroom VTX antenna
- RMRC 1000mw 1.3HHz VTX
- RMRC Pan & Tilt kit for GoPro
- Immersion RC Diversity UHF receiver
-GoPro HD Hero

Ground station:

IBCrazy 1.3GHz Pepper Box
RMRC 900MHz-1.3GHz VRX
BOSS video amplifier / splitter
Fatshark 5.8GHz 250mw VTX (for repeater)
7" Generic Monitor
Fatshark Dominator HD Goggles
4000mAh 3S and 2200 mAh 3s for power

Radio gear:

- Futaba T14SG
- Immersion RC EZ-UHF TX with IBCrazy Moxon
- Zippy Compact 2200mAh 3S LiPo battery for EZ-UHF power

#############################

I am located in San Jose, CA

Thanks,

John
Last edited by spectre909; Jun 15, 2015 at 01:11 PM.
Jun 15, 2015, 07:12 PM
Do I have to fly forward?
Hello Ben,
I sent you a Private Message containing a link to the information you requested. Please let me know if you did not receive it. Thanks!!
Jun 15, 2015, 11:27 PM
Looks interesting..... whose going to supply it, and when is it going to be available?
Jun 16, 2015, 12:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by qbert55ca
Looks interesting..... whose going to supply it, and when is it going to be available?
Thanks for your input
The airplane has already been walking a long way before released here Lol...
we are working on this, mass production and long travelling will cost some time. but I think US flyers will see her in no long time,
and who you wish to supply it ...

Best Regards
Ben
Jun 16, 2015, 12:40 AM
crashing build's character.
Cool plane!!!
Jun 16, 2015, 01:04 AM
Hi Ben

Yes I think we all understand that things take time. But if the product is good then the time spent waiting is well worth it. This looks to be just about what I've been waiting for, a little bigger than the Penguin, but not as big as the Anaconda.

I purchased my Penguin from Ready Made RC in the US. However I am uncertain at this time if he will put this in his lineup and if it even fits into his timetable for shipping in container loads.

My thinking would be unless you find a retailer in the US or Canada with a container waiting to be shipped close to the finish of production, that we would see it faster if you were to get a reputable seller in China and we pay the freight, I know I willing to do it that way. I have purchased from FPVMODEL and been satisfied with there product, either way it's going to cost a fair amount in shipping.

What I think is even more important in that we get a quality product, we all know that some of the stuff coming out of China is not good quality, so getting the right company to mass produce them is of key importance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atflying
Thanks for your input
The airplane has already been walking a long way before released here Lol...
we are working on this, mass production and long travelling will cost some time. but I think US flyers will see her in no long time,
and who you wish to supply it ...

Best Regards
Ben
Jun 16, 2015, 02:40 AM
Hi Ben,

if there is place for another reviewer, I am willing to take that place.
I can't say I am professional reviewer... but had few.

Here's few links to consult before you decide:
As an expert in MFD Autopilot - the autopilot is waiting to be installed this plane.

As a side note, I am not located in US, but that didn't influence other reviews to happen.

Thanks,
Roman
Jun 16, 2015, 06:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by schumixmd
Hi Ben,

if there is place for another reviewer, I am willing to take that place.
I can't say I am professional reviewer... but had few.

Here's few links to consult before you decide:

As an expert in MFD Autopilot - the autopilot is waiting to be installed this plane.

As a side note, I am not located in US, but that didn't influence other reviews to happen.

Thanks,
Roman
Hello Roman:

Have nice day
You are not later, I have not too many samples but not only one or two
Final reviewers still pending and not only limited to US flyers too.
Could you let me know where are you in. city?

Best Regards
Ben
Jun 16, 2015, 06:57 AM
Quote:
Hello Roman:

Have nice day
You are not later, I have not too many samples but not only one or two
Final reviewers still pending and not only limited to US flyers too.
Could you let me know where are you in. city?

Best Regards
Ben
Here I am!
You check the shipping to - Chisinau, Moldova(Republic of)!

Roman
Jun 16, 2015, 07:42 AM

which one would you preferred?

Hello Friends do me a favor to do a simple investigation to say what you like?
Thanks in advance

1# About the belly armour, would you preferred the transparent one or black colored? FYI The black armourís price is approximately $1.0 more than transparent one .
2# About ESC and BEC
One options is ESC with build-in UBEC/SBEC (3A), another options is ESC OPTO+ extra independent BEC(5-6A), which one you think itís better for FPV?

Thanks
Ben
Jun 16, 2015, 08:06 AM
I will apply for being a reviewer If it's not too late.

I wrote an extensive build thread for the Penguin which became the basis for a lot of other pilots Penguin builds, it has over 9000 views at this point. I also helped out several people with their Penguins after they read my article. I am located in the US state of Virginia.

I can create a new build thread for the Sabre as well as posting an unboxing and review video on my YouTube channel.

Penguin Build Thread
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2027638

Here's some aerial video work I did with the Penguin and the Finwing 390 Pan & Tilt
Old Town Fredericksburg Virginia, and the Rappahannock river, from UAV drone (3 min 15 sec)
Last edited by smoothvirus; Jun 16, 2015 at 01:47 PM.
Jun 16, 2015, 08:23 AM
Quote:
Hello Friends do me a favor to do a simple investigation to say what you like?
Thanks in advance

1# About the belly armour, would you preferred the transparent one or black colored? FYI The black armourís price is approximately $1.0 more than transparent one .
2# About ESC and BEC
One options is ESC with build-in UBEC/SBEC (3A), another options is ESC OPTO+ extra independent BEC(5-6A), which one you think itís better for FPV?

Thanks
Ben
#1 Didn't see the belly armor in your photos, but I would chose an colored armor. It will give a bit of unique to the plane. Can you post photos of 3D model with different colors of the armor(black, red, yellow)?

#2 for FPV always is better to have a separate BEC. But built*in UBEC also works fine if everything is calculated correctly and there's no overload.
A NO NO for switching BEC without good filtering for FPV.
Jun 16, 2015, 09:17 AM
Hi Ben, I would really like to review this if possible. If chosen I would take the clear nose plate for the gimbal and the clear belly armor.

Also for the ESC question. I've always used an independent BEC, for added security in case there is ever an ESC failure.

Thanks,

John
Latest blog entry: Hangar Pics
Jun 16, 2015, 11:00 AM
Oh no, not again!
Ben, I am a university professor living in South Louisiana. A colleague and I are doing proof-of-concept work to demonstrate fpv planes as a low-cost, accurate method for counting birds and recording nesting success in the local rookeries and barrier islands. Our test vehicle is the 1600 mm HK FPV airframe with forward facing fpv camera and EZOSD for navigation and a Hero 4 mounted under the wing taking still pictures vertically downward for later counting.

I am most intrigued with your airframe as it has provision to mount the Hero protected in the fuse and still taking the vertical pics. I do not teach in the summer and have gear that I could transfer to the new airframe. I also have an Ardupilot 2.5 that I would like to mount but the HK airframe is pretty cramped for space.

If you think that I my build/experience could be of use to you, I would be more than interested in the basic airframe with the vertical camera mount.

Regards,
Jeff