to remove ads between posts
Jun 13, 2015, 06:51 AM
Thread OP

Reviewer Photos, Video

Review&Build log:

*Smoothvirus: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2457450

*Spectre909:https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2459292

(Kindly Quoted from: Maxintheair)
I can totally agree with the Sabre having better long range capabilities then the Penguin. In my Sabre I'm running 2 5500mah 4cell batteries, and on my second flight my vector told me that I covered 35km on a 45min flight! I cant wait to do a flight where I'm going for endurance, and I only do one climb, maintain altitude, and cruse at minimum throttle (I find that a slow cruse is about 7 amps!)

Yes, once the Sabre becomes available for everyone, I really think it's going to "takeoff" in the FPV community. :P

I personally think the Sabre is going to become the new favorite for fix winged long range FPV platforms. It just has so many configurations, setup options, easy build, space, and great characteristics. You cant go wrong with it!

(Kindly Quoted from :Smoothvirus)
I've been flying mine for long range stuff, it's much better for that kind of flying than the Penguin is.

I flew the Sabre in some very windy conditions last weekend. All went well but it is more stressful flying in high winds so I didn't stay up very long.

All in all I have a hard time finding any flaws in this plane. I go lurk in some of the threads for planes in the same class and while most of them are very good, they have issues that the Sabre does not share.
I did a 48km (30 mi) flight on mixed throttle settings at my RC club, just flying in circles over the field. The plane had enough battery to go longer but I kept getting bit by bugs and decided to land.

(Kindly Quoted from: Spectre909)
Well I was able to get the Sabre back out today for an FPV flight. It went perfectly! I love the way the Sabre handles in the air.

My flight time today was 32 minutes and the Ruby OSD was calculating around 45 minutes remaining when I decided to bring her in. I was pulling 45A on take off and an average of 8.5A for the duration of the flight. This was using 2X 5000mAh 4S batteries running in parallel. The AUW was just under 10 pounds.

I was using a 390 degree pan module on top and the pan and tilt module in the nose with a GoPro. There was an issue with my DVR so I did not capture the video from the top camera, but did get the GoPro video and will compile that shortly.

All in all I have to say that I would highly recommend the Sabre to anyone looking for a great FPV plane that can be setup with as few or as many options you'd like.

The Sabre is a very capable platform for long range with no problem carrying up to 10 pounds providing it is configured correctly. *Disclaimer* The manufacturer recommends limiting the AUW to 4.0kg (8.8lbs). I would definitely be cautious if you choose to exceed 4.0kg.

Finwing Sabre Review by NFPV (6 min 43 sec)

Finwing Sabre Review Part 2 FPV Flight and Final Thoughts (9 min 50 sec)

Finwing Sabre 7.5 miles (43 min 21 sec)

Unbox by John
Finwing Sabre Unboxing (11 min 51 sec)

Finwing Sabre Review Part 1 Intro and Maiden Flight (Cyrus)
Finwing Sabre Review Part 1 Intro and Maiden Flight (12 min 29 sec)

Finwing Sabre: Maiden by John
Finwing Sabre: Maiden (5 min 9 sec)

Finwing Sabre raw FPV footage - stall testing endurance testing (cyrus)
Finwing Sabre raw FPV footage - Eagletree Vector - stall testing endurance testing (42 min 41 sec)
Last edited by Atflying; Dec 11, 2015 at 05:07 AM.
Jun 13, 2015, 06:17 PM
I would be more than happy to write a detailed review, build log, unboxing, and flight report. I have plenty of time to devote to this, and if it is anything like my previous FinWings, it will be a pleasure to build and very enjoyable to fly.
I have owned two Penguins, and currently have a 1.3 GHz system for FPV, Eagle Tree OSD Pro, and DragonLink UHF that I would be willing to use to push this plane to its max endurance and see how it performs. Seeing as that this would be my third Finwing build I feel as if I am more than capable. I own a high quality camera for photos as well, including a DVR for recording the FPV feed.
I work at my local hobby shop so I am experienced in this. Feel free to PM or E-Mail me. Thank you for the opportunity!!

-Jared
bachmanb @ me .com (No Spaces)
Last edited by Nixus; Jun 13, 2015 at 07:30 PM.
Jun 13, 2015, 08:20 PM
Thread OP
Hello Jared

Thanks for you input, sounds good candidate.. hehe..
Could you advise which state are you in ?

Ben
Thanks
Jun 13, 2015, 08:57 PM
Hello Ben,
I am located near Chicago, Illinois in the United States. Let me know if there is anything I can do for you to facilitate this. Thank you very much!! Feel free to PM or E-Mail me as well.

Regards,
Jared
Jun 13, 2015, 09:39 PM
Thread OP
Great !

I just got Basic kits so far, ARF not in stock
as you say you have Penguin, I think you can use penguin M2815 power system to fly the Sabre, 3S with 11*5.5" propeller. AUW less than 3.1kg is no problem, but if you would like more AUW, it's better use M2820 ( 3542),
60A ESC, 23G metal gear servo (same size as Penguin servo) Plus 9g servo for rudder and flap.
we have detailed introduction about the power system on our website.

what you get may not only the Basic kits, it will include Module 1 and Moduel3.
but sorry the belly armour not available so far
and I have the following Parts as well but only 1 PCS for each items. so you have to choose which one you like for your airplane? since you are the first one, so you can choose whatever you like:

A: Module 2 Gimbal with transparent cover (servo inlcuded)
B: Steerable undercarriage (Metal 23g servo included)
C: 390 Hero Pan&Tilt
D: 390 Mini camera Pan&tilt

ABCD, please let me know which one you like ? the other reviewers can only to choose after you for another 3 items
Jun 13, 2015, 09:55 PM
Hello Ben,
I'll gladly take option 'B' or the steerable undercarriage. Would it be possible to include the M2820 motor and servos for the aircraft? My plan is to have a friend of mine fly my Penguin to get some aerial video of the Sabre flying. If not I understand. Thank you!!

-Jared
Jun 14, 2015, 02:13 AM
SkyDragon FPV
I would be glad to be the next reviewer, I have been in the hobby for close to 15 years with everything you can imagine. Currently have a few LRS planes with 1.3/2.4 vtx and modified OpenLRS modules with 1w telemetry link, along with to many 3D printed quads. I have a full LRS system on hand and can start the build upon receiving the plane. I have a buddy that we are trying to bring into the hobby and I think showing him this build and getting him to help would be great opportunity to see all about it. Have a few 3D printers on hand as well and a buddy with some CAD skills so we would be able to make some pretty sweet FPV mods and such for the plane as well.
Thank you for your consideration
Jun 14, 2015, 07:20 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixus
Hello Ben,
I'll gladly take option 'B' or the steerable undercarriage. Would it be possible to include the M2820 motor and servos for the aircraft? My plan is to have a friend of mine fly my Penguin to get some aerial video of the Sabre flying. If not I understand. Thank you!!

-Jared
Hello Jared: PM to you , please let me know if not received
Jun 14, 2015, 06:50 PM
Ben,
I received your message and am in the process of uploading the pictures and videos for you. Thank you!!
Jun 14, 2015, 07:49 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninfivfo
I would be glad to be the next reviewer, I have been in the hobby for close to 15 years with everything you can imagine. Currently have a few LRS planes with 1.3/2.4 vtx and modified OpenLRS modules with 1w telemetry link, along with to many 3D printed quads. I have a full LRS system on hand and can start the build upon receiving the plane. I have a buddy that we are trying to bring into the hobby and I think showing him this build and getting him to help would be great opportunity to see all about it. Have a few 3D printers on hand as well and a buddy with some CAD skills so we would be able to make some pretty sweet FPV mods and such for the plane as well.
Thank you for your consideration
Sound good

Could you let me know where is you city or State?

Best Regards
Ben
Jun 14, 2015, 08:00 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixus
Ben,
I received your message and am in the process of uploading the pictures and videos for you. Thank you!!
Great! take your time
Jun 14, 2015, 08:22 PM
Thread OP
Hello PM Friends

I heard some of your guys PM to me, but please post here share your voice, Most of the time I won't read your PM in time or responded sorry for this.
Thannks
Ben
Jun 14, 2015, 10:01 PM
Hey Ben,
I sent you a message with a website link to the information you asked for. Let me know if you did not receive it. Thanks!!

-Jared
Jun 15, 2015, 02:35 AM
SkyDragon FPV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atflying
Sound good

Could you let me know where is you city or State?

Best Regards
Ben
I am in Anchorage,AK also option A: Module 2 Gimbal with transparent cover (servo included) if it is still available, thank you!
Last edited by ninfivfo; Jun 15, 2015 at 03:35 AM.

Quick Reply