Dominion 2-HW ,a Self-Righting Foiling RC Keelboat/ One-off Design & Build Project - Page 41 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Oct 06, 2017, 02:19 PM

D2 Trapeze Power Ballast System

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLord
It appears my small amount of resin may have reached the end of its useful life. I'll experiment with it but it will be a week or two before I can get any more. If the small batch I make up kicks ok I may just have enough for the module and end pieces.
======================

The resin is gone and because the hurricane cost me $1400 I can't buy more* for a few weeks. I'll clear off the work table and do the A rig in the meantime.

*Resin Research resin is great to work with and costs about $120 a gallon.(two thirds resin, one third hardener). I get it from Sam Barker in Indiatlantic-just a few miles south of here .
Last edited by DLord; Oct 06, 2017 at 04:52 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 06, 2017, 04:43 PM

Dominion 2-HW

==============================
The "A" rig will be used to test the light air performance of the boat. It may be cut down as required to allow excellent light air performance( which means foiling in a 5 mph breeze-more or less) and as wide a range as possible. Once the right area is determined I may have a new suit made with special material with a design by, possibly, Sandy Goodall who designed the Fire Arrow main.....
The Gaff will be tested after the boat is foiling well. The B/C rig will be used only after the boat is foiling well in light air.

The short "B/C" rig:

Last edited by DLord; Oct 06, 2017 at 04:50 PM.
Oct 06, 2017, 11:28 PM
I'm not sure what material is used in those sails but it is like nothing I've ever seen on any contemporary performance r/c sailboat. Might be worth ordering another set from a recognized r/c sailmaker.
Oct 07, 2017, 07:12 AM

Dominion 2-HW

This was my last comment on the sails:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLord
The planform of the "A" main is based on a modern "gaff" rig that allows an upper outhaul and more control of sail shape than any conventional sailplan. It was used on experimental boats over 20 years ago and proven in two boat testing. The sail material was chosen to get the colors, for cost and because these sails are experimental light air sails. The traditional gaff main is there to allow us to get video of a traditional gaff headed rig on foils since the boat was partly inspired by Dominion.
=====================
Post 602 above expands on that answer.
Last edited by DLord; Oct 07, 2017 at 07:19 AM.
Oct 10, 2017, 09:58 AM

D2 Trapeze Power Ballast System--module

These are the final glass pieces for the module ready to be drilled and cut out of 1/32" epoxy glass. All that's left are the tubes. I'll cut everything out and then put it aside until I have epoxy resin. In the meantime I'll make up the "A" rig.

Oct 13, 2017, 06:08 PM

Should have everything cut out and put aside by Sunday or maybe even tomorrow and then I'll do the "A" rig. Resin is probably two weeks off at the earliest.

UPDATE: Didn't make it today....................
Last edited by DLord; Oct 14, 2017 at 04:16 PM.
Oct 16, 2017, 08:19 PM

New idea on attaching the cart to the rack: possibly use two spectra guide lines under tension with the line running thru small tubes on each side of the cart.
No need for bigger tubes or guides if this works so it will slightly reduce weight as will the spectra vs the stainless wire used on previous versions.
Oct 18, 2017, 10:09 AM

I decided to make new end pieces for the rack using "extruded"* carbon tow. I thought I could get the silicone tube "mold" material at ACE but they only had vinyl tube. So I ordered 10' of firm and 10' of soft durometer tube from Mc Master-Carr. It will be here tomorrow. Doing this will cut the endplate weight to about 1/3rd or less than what it is now on the D4Z system.

* this is a method I came up with 20+ years ago where a wire is used to pull X number of carbon tow strands thru a tube. The tube is then placed into a shape that you want the resulting rod to be . Works well for almost any shape rod.