Dominion 2-HW ,a Self-Righting Foiling RC Keelboat/ One-off Design & Build Project - Page 39 - RC Groups
Aug 30, 2017, 07:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggsDarkLighter
Dough I am confused, why a second receiver? Is this simply to prevent haveing to run extra wires so you can keep the receiver inside the balast box? If so thats pretty ingenious! I didn't know you could link and use two receivers at the same time.

BTW I may not post up much on your threads, but I read your posts with great interest!
=============================
BDL, thanks for reading the thread! On the previous Trapeze Power Ballast Systems I've built, wires had to run from the "module" to the main hull and, in one case, with older heavier batteries from the sliding cart to the module to the hull!
On this boat there will be no wires between the TPBS and the rest of the boat and/or the sliding cart. Everything needed to make the system work is included in the module. The radio operates different channels on both receivers. This set up makes it a piece of cake to remove the ballast system-less than one minute. This is the first time I've done it but I have no worries.
The boat battery that powers the rudder servo and the mainsheet winch will have the biggest current draw so the bigger battery goes up front and the little battery powers the TPBS.
It's an absolute blast to sail with movable ballast-it sorta gives you more of the "feel" of sailing a fullsize boat where you are the ballast!

This picture of my first scow using a power ballast system clearly shows the wires running from the sliding cart to the module to the inside of the boat-very old fashioned and heavy now but 20+ years ago it worked well(very quickly)
and was terrific fun to sail:

Last edited by DLord; Sep 17, 2017 at 02:01 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 01, 2017, 06:45 AM

2 receivers-one transmitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarmstro
Yes you can bind two or more receivers - when you bind, its the receiver storing the transmitter ID.... not the other way (the receiver does not transmit anything, ever).

Cannot find a video where someone was controlling two sailboats at same time....
==============
Don't think that would work too well but it would be a fun experiment.
Sep 01, 2017, 08:47 AM

Dominion 2-HW--Aerial Video

Our condo AC was just replaced and the new one needed some vibration dampening. The guy that did it also flies a state of the art drone and has agreed to take aerial video of the Fire Arrow and D2- for the fun of it! So there's a good chance we'll have some spectacular footage over the next year......
Sep 01, 2017, 10:58 AM
Did you consider using mercury switches or similar to automate the ballast system?
Sep 01, 2017, 02:09 PM

D2 Trapeze Power Ballast System

No, from my earlier boats I found out how much fun it is to sail with fingertip control of the ballast. Wouldn't consider automating it.
This boat will be my first experience using the TPBS on a foiler and my gut feeling is that manual ballast control will be just as much fun as on a non-foiler.
Sep 05, 2017, 03:00 PM

Dominion 2-HW

The balsa for the Trapeze Power Ballast System will be here tomorrow. And Irma, the most ferocious hurricane in a long time, may be here Sunday. Nothing may be here Monday-a very scary situation right now-hopefully Cuba will damage the storm ....
Sep 05, 2017, 11:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLord
...-a very scary situation right now- ....
Yes it is. RIght there with you. Well on the other of Florida, but yeah. I have to work Sunday, haha. You sticking it out Dough? Looks like we will be. Hey positive side of things, there will be some good sailing winds the day before!
Sep 05, 2017, 11:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy Frog
Did you consider using mercury switches or similar to automate the ballast system?
I would use a FLight Controller. That allows you to automate it, yet still take over and maintain manual control.
Sep 06, 2017, 07:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggsDarkLighter
Yes it is. RIght there with you. Well on the other of Florida, but yeah. I have to work Sunday, haha. You sticking it out Dough? Looks like we will be. Hey positive side of things, there will be some good sailing winds the day before!
==================
Moving into a motel on the mainland. This condo is on the narrowest strip of land between the ocean and Banana River-less than a thousand feet.
First good news: projected wind strength when it gets up here "only" 120mph-beats 200+ any day.......
Good Luck BDL!
Sep 12, 2017, 10:47 AM
Doug - hope you weathered the storm ok ?

Thought to give you a heads up - so you can get done on-the-water photos of latest creation, before the New Zealand boys "scoop" you with theirs. Especially now that this concept of a monohull has been chosen for the next cuo. 2008 idea - eh ?

Vlad Murnikov
It all started with the SpeedDream.
Now the SpeedDream concept - in a little bit watered-down form - is used by all the major sailing classes and events - IMOCA, VOR and now America's Cup! That's amazing!
When back in 2008, I came up with SpeedDream concept, I had never imagined it would start a major revolution!
Sep 14, 2017, 05:13 PM

Extreme Misery

No serious damage but the entire island infrastructure was damaged. No water, no power -have both as of today. Was a very nasty storm!
I think TNZ may choose a boat like Hugo Boss but add rudder t-foils so it will fully fly and not drag its back end around. Going to be interesting...

Hugo Boss without rudder T-foils(see video). With them she'd be faster and more controllable. Remove the cabin and you have an AC monofoiler.
Vlad is a real innovator and a very interesting guy to talk to!

The Vendée Globe 2016 / Alex Thomson / - VII days to go (2 min 28 sec)
Sep 14, 2017, 06:26 PM
Thomas Armstrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLord
Hugo Boss without rudder T-foils(see video). With them she'd be faster and more controllable. Remove the cabin and you have an AC monofoiler.
Vlad is a real innovator and a very interesting guy to talk to!]
Good to hear you are ok.

All videos of these boats show them screaming fast on a reach. I know they are designed for that because of the king of race they do, but I wonder how they sail upwind... any videos out there?
Sep 14, 2017, 08:01 PM

AC Monofoiler

There would be differences between the Vendee type and the AC monofoiler for sure but the Vendee type proved, for the first time, that full flying of a 60' keelboat is possible even though what Hugo Boss did was foil assist not full flying. I think the elements of technology are there that would allow excellent upwind performance with full flying off the wind. And upwind foiling of an AC monofoiler shouldn't be ruled out. I think the biggest question is how light a wind will foiling take place?
Many people ,for a long time, thought foiling with a keelboat was impossible but Hugh Welbourn proved it was possible with the 23' Quant 23-both upwind and off the wind. But what is even more remarkable about the Quant 23 is that it will take off in a 5 knot wind and foil upwind in 7-8 knots of breeze.
These new boats could be quite exciting.......
Sep 18, 2017, 07:43 AM

D2 Trapeze Power Ballast System

The balsa for the TPBS arrived here just before the storm and I left it in its packaging so it should be fine. I should get to work on the new Trapeze system soon . (Unless Maria comes)
Last edited by DLord; Sep 18, 2017 at 07:49 AM.