Dominion 2-HW ,a Self-Righting Foiling RC Keelboat/ One-off Design & Build Project - Page 37 - RC Groups
Jun 25, 2017, 11:06 PM
Really? Then please justify the sail material, paneling and shape of the depicted sails. All other current r/c racing sails (unless restricted by class rules) are built using Mylar or other plastic films; have a minimum number of panels (some even being a single molded panel); are made of a single type of material; are of a single color; are glued rather than stitched; use lightweight materials; and have radial corner patches. And that doesn't even address your idiosyncratic gaff rig concepts that are not employed by any contemporary high performance yacht large or small. Put simply, current racing sails look nothing like what is depicted above.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 26, 2017, 08:42 AM

D2

The planform of the "A" main is based on a modern "gaff" rig that allows an upper outhaul and more control of sail shape than any conventional sailplan. It was used on experimental boats over 20 years ago and proven in two boat testing. The sail material was chosen to get the colors, for cost and because these sails are experimental light air sails. The traditional gaff main is there to allow us to get video of a traditional gaff headed rig on foils since the boat was partly inspired by Dominion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLord
Sails!! Still have to add draft stripes battens and insignia:
According to Bainbridge ,this "blue" material is grey!! It is not the "grey" I was after......

Gaff Rig using "A" rig jib:

Last edited by DLord; Jun 26, 2017 at 08:52 AM.
Jun 26, 2017, 09:35 AM
Thomas Armstrong
I say you have to choose: do a scale model or go for performance. Why compromise?
Jun 26, 2017, 10:00 AM

D2

This boat is not a race boat-it is an experimental test boat. Went for low cost and color*-that was the priority .
*and half the color is wrong-disappointing.....
Last edited by DLord; Jun 26, 2017 at 03:15 PM.
Jun 26, 2017, 10:41 AM
Will fly for food
What is your schedule for getting her wet?
Jun 26, 2017, 03:14 PM

D2

David, I'm not trying to be smart ass but as soon as I can get the TPBS and sails finished and arrange the help and time. Lot going on here and this isn't my first priority. Can't wait to see how she goes. Probably a couple of months or more.

Just in case you didn't know : last year the boat was tested to see if it floated on its lines(it did) and how much weight it could carry(max displ. over 10lb).
Last edited by DLord; Jun 26, 2017 at 07:39 PM.
Jun 26, 2017, 08:06 PM

F3

This is the very first F3 whose sails were done for "cost and color" and did 18+mph(reefed) in a 22mph wind and 12mph in a 5mph wind. She was the worlds first production RC sailing foiler 17+ years ago .

Jul 11, 2017, 11:38 AM

Dominion 2-HW-Trapeze Power Ballast System

Working on the new Trapeze system-may get lucky and get it done soon.
Jul 30, 2017, 08:23 PM

Dominion 2-HW--FOILS

Another view of the foils: (again)

===========================
I've made a little(very little) progress on the Trapeze Power Ballast System but I shoud be able to spend a lot more time on it soon-the last big job.......
Jul 30, 2017, 08:59 PM
Will fly for food
How the sails coming along?
Jul 31, 2017, 06:47 AM

Dominion 2-HW

Sails are complete but not rigged. Fairly small job. Going to sail with the "A" rig or "B/C" rig first. First sail will be in relatively light air. My friend and video guy Dan is not available for the next few months so I may not get video or stills unless I can round up some help......
Aug 09, 2017, 10:44 AM

Dominion 2-HW

A review of a major technical element of the D2:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLord
Laid out the Flight Waterline Worksheet today to see what effect cant* would have on the clearance of the windward foil and if a canted foil allowed an increase in the nominal flying angle of heel. The point was to see if I can eliminate the servo(s) used to retract the windward foil**.
I found that an increase in cant of just 4.5 degrees would allow a nominal flying angle of 13 degrees(from 9.5 degrees) which would more than double the clearance of the windward foil-from 1.25" to 2.75".
But I also found that by simply moving the foils down up to 2" I could achieve almost the same results with no change in angle of heel.
So I was about to eliminate the servos and cant when it dawned on me how to easily I could make the boards canting: make a wedge that fits in the trunk and is held by the same pin that holds the foil. Can be done lightly and be easily changed manually based on the conditions.
*athwartship movement of the top(and bottom) of the foil pivoting about the bottom of the trunk.
** first mentioned on page 5, post 64.
----
So I saved money and made the whole boat simpler while still allowing the adjustability I wanted in the first place. Having the servo(s) able to adjust the boards up or down was expensive and complicated.

Aug 09, 2017, 10:49 AM
Will fly for food
How's the A rig coming along?
Aug 09, 2017, 10:52 AM

D2

Sails complete but not rigged yet.