Dominion 2-HW ,a Self-Righting Foiling RC Keelboat/ One-off Design & Build Project - Page 34 - RC Groups
Mar 19, 2017, 09:44 AM

Dominion 2-HW-Trapeze Power Ballast System

I may be able to eliminate the trap wires from the D2 version of this system since it is only carrying a maximum of 2 lbs. That will reduce some drag if it works.
No word form the sailmaker yet.....

20+ year old Super Scow with trapwires/line on ballast system:

to remove ads between posts
Mar 23, 2017, 08:22 PM

Dominion 2-HW Foil Cant System

These two shots show the foil cant system for the D2 and the resulting change to the angle of heel of the boat. The cant system is controlled between two positions with epoxy coated balsa wedges.
This is probably the most important part of the foil system after the foil rake adjustment.
Getting closer to getting in the water so I wanted to review this setup.

----------------------

These two shots show the maximum optimum angle of heel of the boat at minimum and maximum foil cant. Cant is the change in the angle of the foil athwartship(side to side).
At zero cant the max optimum angle of heel is 7.5 degrees. At 4.5 degrees cant, the maximum optimum angle of heel of the boat is 15 degrees.
In both images, the foil is adjusted for maximum altitude which is adjustable plus or minus about 2".

Mar 24, 2017, 08:09 PM

Dominion 2-HW

Talked to Scot(my sailmaker) a little while ago today and he thinks he can get my sails within the next couple of weeks. He is definitely going to make a "traditional" gaff main as well........

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLord
When Scott gets the "A" rig sails finished, I'm going to get him to make a "traditional" gaff main for the boat -a bit smaller than the "A" main. The original Dominion used a traditional gaff and the D2 "A" rig is a "modern" version of a gaff and I want to get video of the boat foiling with a traditional gaff......

Mar 24, 2017, 09:21 PM
Will fly for food
You should look up Rod Carr next time you need sails. He usually can deliver within one week, two at the most.
Mar 25, 2017, 08:46 AM

D2

Scott has made sails for me for 25+ years and does a great job. Delivery is usually quick -if I order at the right time of year. I dealt with Carr many years ago......
Last edited by DLord; Mar 27, 2017 at 03:19 PM.
Mar 27, 2017, 03:25 PM

Dominion 2-HW

One of the last jobs and one I almost forgot about is putting white tape(or white paint) on all the black carbon sheets on the deck. I may need to add waterproof vents to each hull if it doesn't vent well enough through the midship(radio/battery) compartment.

Apr 04, 2017, 05:17 PM
Will fly for food
Here is some hi tech foiling for your enjoyment

https://www.facebook.com/axelrahmsai...5324476413724/
Apr 04, 2017, 06:29 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
That one almost looks affordable!!

BP
Apr 05, 2017, 09:24 AM

Foiling Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjensen
Here is some hi tech foiling for your enjoyment

https://www.facebook.com/axelrahmsai...5324476413724/
---------------------------------
Ain't that cool! Now, from the smallest to 100' tri's everyone can foil!

Check the longer and much higher quality video of the Foiling Opti here: http://sailinganarchy.com/?_ga=1.175...346.1468240288

NEVEMIND-they've fixed the facebook version since yesterday........
Apr 05, 2017, 12:20 PM

Foiling Optimist /Challmers / youtube

A little more info as well and to quote the skipper: "Amazing...just amazing!"
From the video:

Published on Apr 5, 2017

Graphene and hydrofoils gives optimist dinghy superpowers
Students and researchers at Chalmers University of Technology and SSPA Sweden has designed and developed an optimist dinghy with supreme capabilities. By using a composite with added graphene the hull is made stronger and lighter. Hydrofoils are added to lift the boat, decreasing drag and allowing greater speeds. After experimenting and testing in SSPA:s ship research and development facility in Gothenburg, Sweden, the dinghy is ready to be tried out at sea for the first time. @axelrahmsailing will do the honors.

The Foiling Optimist (1 min 38 sec)
Last edited by DLord; Apr 05, 2017 at 01:17 PM.
Apr 14, 2017, 03:52 PM

Dominion 2-HW

Sails delayed another week or two. As I said before Scott is a fullsize sailmaker and he's received some big orders in the last little while. No problem-they'll be great when I get them.
Apr 14, 2017, 09:24 PM
Will fly for food
I would think you would like to get your creation wet?
Apr 15, 2017, 09:08 AM

Dominion 2-HW

You would be right.
Apr 17, 2017, 09:14 PM

D2 --Trapeze Power Ballast System

I'm finally able to (hopefully) knock this out. It will use many of the same parts as the D4Z system but the whole package should be about a third lighter. I'm eliminating the fore and aft servo as a test since there is a good chance it won't be needed. It shouldn't take very long and will be 100% independent of the normal boat radio system but will use the same transmitter. That will allow it to switch back and forth between the D2 and D4Z.

A couple of short videos of the TPBS on the D4Z:

D4Z Very Light Air-First Sail! (1 min 19 sec)

D4Z, an AC 4.8RC Class Prototype (3 min 32 sec)
Last edited by DLord; Apr 17, 2017 at 09:23 PM.
Apr 28, 2017, 09:16 AM

Dominion 2-HW-Trapeze Power Ballast System

Working on a possible automatic adjustment of the Trap system using the mainsheet to make F&A adjustments when rounding a windward mark(or anytime going from upwind to downwind). The way it will work will allow the system to be easily engaged or disengaged. It will be tested along with no adjustment. I'm not convinced it's necessary but setting up the system to work with the mainsheet is an excellent way to test if there is any improvement .....