Dominion 2-HW ,a Self-Righting Foiling RC Keelboat/ One-off Design & Build Project - Page 2 - RC Groups
Jul 15, 2015, 04:55 PM

Quant 23 Foiler Scow

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLord
Thanks ,Wolfgang! I think I'm going to build a one off model-this is a natural for an RC foiler model.
Tentative specs:
LOA 50"(1.2m)-changed 11/24/15-LOA 52" see post 105
Beam about 13.5"(.34m)
Weight, including fixed and movable ballast: 7lb
Sail Area: 1400 sq.in(.9sq.m)-reefable
Foils: 2 @13"(330mm) X 2.25"(57mm) + rudder foil
Features:
a.100% self-righting
b. Trapeze Power Ballast System
c. target to foil in 5mph breeze
-----
Lots and lots of potential thanks to the work Hugh Welbourn has done!
=======================
Foiling with the kite in marginal conditions. While it is technically feasible to add an excellent working kite to the model it's probably too much with the Trapeze Power Ballast System:
Q23 foiling under kite (0 min 57 sec)
Last edited by DLord; Nov 25, 2015 at 02:49 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 07, 2015, 05:23 PM

Foiling RC Keelboat

I wonder if a skinny monohull similar to a Marblehead except with a Trapeze Power Ballast System and max weight of 7 pounds would work with the Q23 type foils?
Last edited by DLord; Sep 16, 2015 at 09:32 PM.
Sep 16, 2015, 09:31 PM

Foiling RC Keelboat Scow

I've looked more at an RC version and I think a scow type hull 50"LOA by about 13" would work best. Max weight around 7lb, self-righting, Trapeze Power Ballast System.
Last edited by DLord; Sep 27, 2015 at 04:53 PM.
Sep 25, 2015, 03:24 PM

Foiling RC Keelboat Scow

Well, I'm going for it-the other boats are done and awaiting more testing so now is the ideal time for this one-off project.
She will be loosely based on the Quant 23 foiling scow keelboat designed by Hugh Welbourn.
The model design will be 50" LOA(changed 11/24/15-LOA 52"-see post 105) about 13" wide with a sailing weight around 7 pounds with about 1400 sq.inches of sail. The boat will use a 2lb movable ballast system that moves fore and aft and side to side. She'll have a keel with enough ballast to right from a knockdown. And, of course, she'll have foils with the capability of flying in a 5mph breeze.
My biggest problem with this build is building the thing light enough. I'm very good at doing tooling and then building a light hull out of the finished mold. But there will be no tooling for this boat-for awhile if ever. Part of the reason for going over budget on weight is getting an excellent finish which is very important and a priority. Any suggestions on building a one-off very light would be welcome.
------
Testing and any mods that come up with the D4Z and Fire Arrow are top priority-this will be worked on as time permits.

Picture-the beginning of the design:
Last edited by DLord; Nov 25, 2015 at 02:50 PM.
Sep 27, 2015, 01:43 PM

Foiling RC Keelboat Scow

Once I do a Simpsons(displacement/ CB/) the bottom line will be locked in. All design work is done full size(and to scale) by hand with a calculator-no computer software used.This is a lot of fun! Length 50"(1.27m)(changed 11/24/15-LOA 52"-see post 105), Beam 14"(.36m). The others are probably final. First lines:

Last edited by DLord; Nov 25, 2015 at 02:52 PM.
Sep 27, 2015, 04:31 PM
Looking good so far - I'll keep on checking on your progress. It is unusual and interesting. looking forward to your next posts
Sep 27, 2015, 04:42 PM

Foiling RC Keelboat Scow

Thanks! It will look a little like the Super Scow in post 6-I designed and built that one about 20 years ago.
Last edited by DLord; Sep 27, 2015 at 04:54 PM.
Sep 28, 2015, 07:50 AM
Isn't that reverse bow on a scow going to cause the bow to dig in instead of lift up?
Sep 28, 2015, 07:53 AM

Foiling RC Keelboat Scow

Jim, the bow is very thin and only on each side-it doesn't go all the way across like that. Definitely won't cause digging in.
Last edited by DLord; Sep 28, 2015 at 04:25 PM.
Sep 28, 2015, 04:30 PM
The biggest design decision that still isn't made is whether or not to go with a tunnel hull scow like the very old(and fast) Dominion or M20/I20.
Tunnel hulled scows can have significantly less wetted surface and their displacement ,especially when heeled, is organized in a shape with a high Length /Beam ratio(this one would be about 13/1)- so much less wavemaking resistance. The problem is that when this thing is heeled it's likely to be on foils so the advantage of the tunnel hull is ,essentially, bypassed by the hydrofoils. At least that's where I am right now. I'll give it a few hours more study and then decide.
I'm not really trying to do a scale version of the Q23 so the hull shape can be whatever seems best.
A little history of the tunnel hulled scow :

In 1898 the Canadian boat, Dominion, carried the scow design to its logical end. She was essentially two semi-circular section hulls with a joining elevated floor above the waterline. When heeled, her waterline increased from 17'6" to 27 feet. She won the 1898 Seawanhaka Cup with ease, unbeatable in any condition. Her superior design was subsequently ruled illegal for the Seawanhaka Cup competition. Dominion would later be part of the inspiration for the M-20 design.

Last edited by DLord; Aug 05, 2016 at 02:15 PM.
Sep 28, 2015, 04:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLord
:

In 1898 the Canadian boat, Dominion, carried the scow design to its logical end. She was essentially two semi-circular section hulls with a joining elevated floor above the waterline. When heeled, her waterline increased from 17'6" to 27 feet. She won the 1898 Seawanhaka Cup with ease, unbeatable in any condition. Her superior design was subsequently ruled illegal for the Seawanhaka Cup competition. Dominion would later be part of the inspiration for the M-20 design.

Hmmm sounds like the old Shearwater / Shark catamarans.
Sep 28, 2015, 05:31 PM
Come on Dick, you've been down the Doug road how many times now? He sailed his foiling cat (that never foiled) and his "test model" for less than an hour total combined for both boats and now he has moved on. Why do you keep jumping back in, wasting your time and giving him credibility he doesn't deserve?
Sep 28, 2015, 06:03 PM

Dominator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick L.
Hmmm sounds like the old Shearwater / Shark catamarans.
===============
Dominion was so fast she got banned. What a cool design. The concept might work particularly well with Welbourns foils.

Sep 28, 2015, 06:14 PM

Fire Arrow and D4Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Corbett
Come on Dick, you've been down the Doug road how many times now? He sailed his foiling cat (that never foiled) and his "test model" for less than an hour total combined for both boats and now he has moved on. Why do you keep jumping back in, wasting your time and giving him credibility he doesn't deserve?
===================
That is just false-just completely untrue.
The number one priority remains the Fire Arrow, number two the D4Z as I stated earlier in this thread(post 19). You once again prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that you simply don't know what you're talking about-not a clue!
Sep 28, 2015, 06:33 PM
Once again you make the point for me. Sailboats that sail once a year. If that's the number one and two priority, how can anyone take you seriously? Oh, and what did I get wrong about your lack of sailing time of your two boats? You stated on sailing anarchy that the air was too light and your cat never foiled. You also posted there that you sailed your tri two or three times in the last year each time for under 15 minutes. And you posted here that you are without a helper and aren't sailing. How then is what I said " just false-- just completely untrue."
Last edited by Tom Corbett; Sep 29, 2015 at 12:17 AM.