Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Feb 25, 2018, 07:44 PM

D2 Trapeze Power Ballast System

Based on the Guyatt specs the 380 winch I'm using should be able to move the ballast very quickly. The winch is rated for 3.5 revs per second which ,with a 1.25" drum, means 3.9" of line each second or 4.2 revs from center to max out. Thats 1.2 seconds from center to max out or 2.4 seconds from max out on one side to max out on the other side. Thats no load speed but there is very little load on the winch moving the ballast since its mostly horizontal on a very slick surface. It will be interesting to see how close to the no load speed it gets!

Light Air Rig:

Last edited by DLord; Jul 02, 2018 at 07:18 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 26, 2018, 03:35 PM
Beautiful project very well done and documented.

Why not have the module be the ballast if it's free from wires?

I'm picturing having the receiver, winch, and battery be the ballast. Have the line attached to either end of the track and the winch spin it to climb up as need be. That way you could lose some weight and be a bit simpler.

You'd have to get the module into a flatter box, and making that water tight with the line coming through might be a trick. Moving the track might be a trick too, maybe it'd work to have the line loop back to the other side to pull the track then the module, or have a curved fix track to keep the leeward side out of the water and have less moving parts.
Feb 26, 2018, 05:26 PM

Thanks! Using the module as ballast would be hard to do because of the size of the 380 RMG winch-it would be kind of boxy. And you'd still have to add lead in stronger winds. Probably wouldn't be a good idea to have the heart and soul of the system getting immersed -it would have a good chance of that if it moved like the ballast tray does. But maybe with a different winch but you'd still have the problem of the thing getting dunked now and then.
Thanks for the idea -its worth thinking about.
The way the system works now is that the winch moves the rack which causes the ballast cart to move simultaneously. The trapeze wires support the ends of the rack with adjustable athwartship pivot. There are drain holes in the cart in case it gets dunked.....
Feb 27, 2018, 12:52 PM

The 380 winch I'm using was last installed in the D4Z cat using an RMG(Guyatt) switch which provide 5 volts for the receiver. That meant that in that application the red wire coming from the winch to the receiver plug had to be cut. But in the D2 application I'm not using a switch(for now) so that red wire had to be reconnected.
Just hooked everything up-including the on-board boat system and the TPBS winch and it all worked-thats two different receivers working with the same transmitter! I was sure it would work but it's always nice to see a plan come together.
Only problem is that for the D4Z I had the TPBS system set up for 6 total revs and on this boat I need 8 total revs(for the same diameter drum). Now that I re-look at the specs it appears that this winch is the 380ES version rather than the EH version I had mistakenly assumed("remembered") it was. That means the maximum revs may be limited to 6(!) damnit. I'm going to check the endpoint setting and see if I can get more. If not I'll have to get another winch down the line , or order( or make) a larger diameter drum for now. If I go with the 6 revs and current drum I'll only get 70% of the max RM I was targeting and I'm not satisfied with that. More later.
Feb 27, 2018, 03:08 PM

Well, I've got it working and won't have to order a thing! But I've been reminded why I think this "T8FG" Futaba radio with its "Touch Sensor" programming has the WORST possible system for programming. The Futaba radio I had back in the 80's was MUCH simpler to program compared to this thing. And I programmed two twin rotor side by side helicopters back then!
Anyway, the D4Z set up required fewer revs than this thing does and there was plenty of room for endpoint adjustment on the D2 system. So its all set and checked out and ready to finish the TPBS assembly. I have one remaining glitch in the foam pads I used to help the cart to slide easily: I had to try to angle the edges of each , so I just touched them with the grinder. That made them even worse! I may have to remove both pads and use something else.
--
Aside from the extreme frustration in programming with the radio its been a good day especially knowing that the twin independent receivers work very well!
Last edited by DLord; Feb 28, 2018 at 06:56 PM.
Feb 27, 2018, 03:14 PM
Will fly for food
Splash date?
Feb 27, 2018, 03:39 PM

D2

The day after I'm finished........................(or so).
Mar 09, 2018, 07:28 AM

I've had to replace the pads on the bottom of the ballast cart. When I tried to grind them to get rid of the edge I found that they weren't just foam but add a sticky back slick surface added which made it impossible to trim. The new pads are solid epoxy glass and work well.
I have some Real Life to deal with but should be back on the boat shortly.....
Just need to add the tops to the module and rig the lines and its finished. Discovered that I cut the holes for the pekabe thrudecks too far to one side so they need to be fixed-no big deal. They change the direction of the line coming off the winch 90 degrees.....
Mar 12, 2018, 11:26 AM

After a lot of study of the system I've reached the conclusion to shorten the rack from 40.375" to 31.375" . The extra length would have been a problem in some conditions with the D2 , though it would have been ok on the D4Z. Shouldn't be a big deal to shorten the thing-all the tubes are hollow and it will be a matter of just inserting another rod or tube inside the existing tubes and gluing.
Should be able to do this and the final assembly/rigging later this week.

Last edited by DLord; Mar 15, 2018 at 12:44 PM.
Mar 13, 2018, 06:46 PM

First thing in the morning I'll shorten the rack and re-assemble it- then add the top supports to the module. If I can stay at it, this thing will be ready to sail shortly...... Chances of being able to stay at it: 60% more or less.
Mar 14, 2018, 10:16 AM

Rack shortened:

Mar 14, 2018, 06:06 PM

The rack is re-assembled with epoxy and will be set up tomorrow. It's cool here so I have lights warming the rack overnight.
Should get the tops on the module tomorrow and rigging of the system the following day.

Mar 15, 2018, 12:44 PM

Comparison between short and long rack:

Short(final) 31.375" :

Long 40.375" :

Mar 17, 2018, 04:17 PM

D2 module 98.357% finished:

Mar 20, 2018, 04:19 PM

Rigging the system shortly-very close to the finish now! The shorter Trapeze Power Ballast System rack has increased the speed significantly-and that's good.

Quick Reply