JePe F16 EDF Review - RC Groups

JePe F16 EDF Review

The Jepe F16 is an all fiberglass and carbon fiber model made in the Netherlands, manufactured by Jean-Paul SchlŲsser. The reputation of this apparently unadvertised model, as described by other modellers, was exceptional. I was anxious to find out if it was accurate.

Article Thumbnail

Introduction

Wingspan:31"
Wing Area:200 sq. in. not counting fuselage
Weight:less than 4 lb.
Length:43"
Wing Loading:~30 oz/sq. ft.
Servos:JR micro digital
Battery:16-c 1700mAh NiCd
Motor:Custom, built into fan, included
ESC:Jeti 70A, included
Launch system:bungee, included
Manufacturer:JePe

The Jepe F16 is an all fiberglass and carbon fiber model made by Jean-Paul Schlosser in the Netherlands. My 16-year-old son Adam learned of this model by word of mouth and searching the internet; we havenít seen any ads in any magazine nor ads on any website. The reputation of this model, as described by other modelers, was exceptional. More research indicated that this high-quality kit came with a high-quality price tag; the kit, along with the custom-manufactured motor, fan, a matching Jeti speed control and a special bungee launch system would cost more than $1,500.00 (Canadian funds)!

Adam decided that a summer job would earn enough money to purchase the complete kit (and heíd be able to put some away). I told him that if he worked and paid for the kit, Iíd pay for the needed 16 cell battery pack. We already had proper servos and a receiver.

Other people who have dealt with JePe warned us that we should not expect overnight delivery. It took 3 months for the kit to be delivered! When we finally received it, it was packed in a large protective box, and all components were in good condition. Closer examination revealed that the kit was of exceptional quality. The fuselage was a combination of very light fiberglass and carbon fiber. The wings, stabilizer and fin were of an extremely light composition sandwich of fiberglass, end grain balsa and another layer of fiberglass. All components had fine detail work in relief -- panel lines, rivets, etc. The kit also included a perfectly fitting canopy, a scale styrofoam pilot, ultra-thin nylon decals, and a detailed instruction manual.

Assembly

The motor was a custom-manufactured brushless motor, about the size of a Hacker B50 motor. It came already mounted in a custom-made carbon fiber fan unit. In order to save weight, the fanís carbon fiber sleeve to hold motor was also the motorís case. A 70 amp Jeti speed control (no BEC) is used in this system.

There really isnít much construction involved. All bulkheads were pre-installed, all carbon fiber re-enforcements were built into the fuselage, and the air intakes were already installed. Basically the model needed to be assembled, the fan and motor unit installed, the radio installed, and painted. Two sticks of 8 cells of 1700 mah batteries to power the motor were installed on either side of the fan unit.

The model was painted in US Air Force grey colors. The kit's included templates were applied prior to, and removed after. This left a painted light grey design on a darker grey wing and fuselage. Itís a good technique.

This model is a sleek, very low drag design, weighing less than 4 pounds. Its power system puts out more than 800 calculated watts on the ground. We expected the jet to be able to fly very quickly. For the first flights, Arden Zhang, one of the owners of A&J Hobbies North of Toronto, volunteered to assist Adam (if he needed it) and to take us to the 400 Club RC field, also north of Toronto...a huge, flat field used for very large scale model airplanes.

Flying!

We each flew other models just to relax. Then came the time for the maiden flight. We prepared the bungee launcher and I held the model in place. Adam had already tested the radio and the batteries were fully charged. I was to time the flight for a maximum of 2 minutes because we were unsure of how fast the batteries would run down. It was time for Adam to fly this jet.

Adam counted down "3, 2, 1" and I let go of the model. The bungee cord pulled the jet forward and it lifted about 1 foot into the air. Adam then applied full throttle. The jet accelerated in an upward arc. The model was climbing almost vertically. Adam leveled out and after a full circuit of the field put the model into a huge and round loop. Adam then brought it to a lower altitude at full speed and made a pass over the field, about 20 feet off the ground. It was flying very fast, likely over 100mph.

Soon it was time to land, so Adam cut the throttle and proceeded to make a sharply banked turn. The plane instantly began to dive like a rock, as did our hearts. Adam pulled up on the elevator control, the plane leveled out (thank goodness) and Adam then successfully landed the plane. Phew! An important lesson was learned -- this jet is not an agile glider, and therefore when throttle was cut before the last turn, it lost a lot of altitude very quickly in the last turn. Adam did level the plane out and land safely.

Downloads

Adam retrieved the jet and opened the fuselage hatch to cool off the batteries. After another charge, the model was off for its second flight. The second flight was just as exciting. Adam put the plane through several fast and low passes, but when it came time to land, Adam only cut the throttle after the plane was lined up for landing - no surprises this time.

The plane was later flown at the Oakville funfly. The launch and flight were spectacular, but the long landing caused a problem. The plane touched down toward the end of the field, and bounced off the soaking wet field with a splash, and then hit a 1" branch which left a gash in one of the wings. Although a good attempt at a repair was completed, we ordered a new wing, in order to keep this investment looking as good as new.

Adam also flew this model at the Mid-America funfly. He flew it three times each day, putting the plane through intensively fast low passes, spectacularly large loops, and smooth landings on the center of the grass runway. We were both pleasantly surprised when Adam won the Best Ducted Fan award and Pilotís choice award on the first day of the meet; quite an achievement for a 16-year-old RC pilot.

As Adam has had more practice flying this jet, his landings have become slower and more accurate. While most of Adam's flights are at full throttle, the plane can slow down very nicely if flown at low throttle and in a slightly nose-high attitude. Adam now lands the jet in increasingly shorter distances.

Conclusion

Adam is extremely pleased with his model, and I am very impressed with his confidence and the ability to fly a model of this speed, which has been estimated at about 130mph in a low pass after a slight dive. This is not an aerobatic jet, but rather a very very impressive high speed performer. It can do astonishing 500 foot diameter loops, and amazingly high speed low passes.

While a model of this speed and type is not for the faint-hearted, we highly recommended it for good RC pilots; the plane is a stable flyer, and it looks great even when sitting on the ground.

Jun 21, 2004, 10:22 PM
Purple power
Good job Michael!
Jun 21, 2004, 11:07 PM
Striving to Rip the Bring
Great review. Just curious, though, how come adam didn't write the review?

--Alex
Jun 21, 2004, 11:13 PM

Why I didn't write it...

Simply a matter of lack of time, and lazyness on my part.
Jun 22, 2004, 06:38 AM
how long were the flights?
very nice model, wish I had one

Pete
Jun 22, 2004, 07:03 AM
E-flyer since 1981
2 minutes (with reserve to spare) of exhilerating flight on the 16 x 1700's. The Manufacturer said the time would be much longer on 14 x 2400's, but Adam prefers the lighter weight and faster speed.
Jun 22, 2004, 10:28 AM
Excellence thru mistakes
Great article.

Saw Adam fly the F-16 at last year's Mid-Ams and it was awesome. Couldn't believe the soaring 800-1,200 foot high speed loops. The dolly launch system was also an eye opener. Worked flawlessly. I have seen too many EDFs yanked back to the ground by regular bungee systems. Truly a fantastic plane flown by an exceptional pilot.

Hope you can show it off at the Mid-Ams again.

Corky Boyd
Jun 22, 2004, 10:33 AM
yeah this jet seems great, but 2 mins! that to me is taking off and coming in on finals again to land!

Pete
Jun 22, 2004, 11:02 AM
E-flyer since 1981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter W
yeah this jet seems great, but 2 mins! that to me is taking off and coming in on finals again to land!
Pete
The take-off takes about 2 seconds.

This plane flies so far in 5 seconds that a 2 minute flight is more than enough. It does as many circuits of the field as any other plane, just in less time.
Jun 22, 2004, 12:40 PM
I guess too much longer would frazzle your nerves, but I would still prefer some more stick-time

Pete
Jun 22, 2004, 08:38 PM
EDF Jet Jam 2017, June 15-18
Great job Adam!
Jun 22, 2004, 09:17 PM
Striving to Rip the Bring
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter W
I guess too much longer would frazzle your nerves, but I would still prefer some more stick-time

Pete
Then possibly GP3300's would be in order or someone like you?

--Alex