Nov 06, 2015, 09:47 AM
Here's a closeup of the deck of Yankee. Depending on the guy's shoe size, it looks like 3-4 inches is more like it. No idea on plank length.

Cheers,

Earl
to remove ads between posts
Nov 06, 2015, 06:37 PM
Kraut
According to the original plans, the width of the planks, scale 3 inch plan equal 1 inch, 3:1, I guess, the planks on the plans are 5/8 of an inch.

So 3 times 5:8 =

Considering measuring, my measuring, I would take a nother reference on the plan, same drawing 2 1/4 x 2 1/4 decking.

There are some other details showing fixture placing on the decking, that show kinde center to center of 2 planks, hard to say were they start, that say 4 inches.

So I would say the 2 1x4 by 2 /14 is correct.
A detail drawing of the king plank shows 2 1/4 thickness.

Sadly my copy is not really that good and I can not see or measure any length.

The plans can be ordered through Maine Maritime Museum.
The Website is a bit confusing, at the beginning.
Service is great.
Nov 07, 2015, 07:20 AM
Closed Account
Thanks guys. Interesting stuff. For me anyway. reason I asked is I came over from scale airplanes. I have a CJ I plan to build this winter with hopes of eventually doing a 1/16 size Ranger someday. Being scale oriented I would like to plank the decks with scale size planks. But that works roughly to 1/4 inch planks on the big Ranger assuming 4 inch planks on the real one. Would take a little time to do all those planks.
Nov 07, 2015, 08:58 AM
Here is a planked deck just finished on Ranger with an effort to be as close to the original as possible.
Nov 07, 2015, 09:08 AM
Believe plank width is 3.5" on the full size version. Length is based on desired finished pattern. Although black caulk is used between planks, it did not go the full thickness of the plank. The planks were all routered to half the plank thickness to accommodate the caulk. Plank thickness was 5/4 to avoid splitting and provide a serviceable thickness for years of refinishing.

SJ
Last edited by SailingJunkie; Dec 31, 2015 at 11:43 AM.
Dec 15, 2015, 08:52 PM

New J Class Endeavour

Well we finally popped one. Took some time but was worth the wait. It came in at our target weight and is pretty close to perfect.
Dec 16, 2015, 08:39 AM
Looking good!
Dec 16, 2015, 10:43 AM
Yup! That looks great
Dec 16, 2015, 09:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Fries
Looking good!
Thanks John! How's production over in your shop?
Dec 19, 2015, 08:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingJunkie
Thanks John! How's production over in your shop?
Still making some 2m AC boats, we just wrapped up one and sent it to Antigua for Richard Archer!
Dec 19, 2015, 09:20 AM
So please say hi to Richard for me!

How many are we up to now? I think I have to have one. They are way too cool not to!
Dec 19, 2015, 09:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingJunkie
So please say hi to Richard for me!

How many are we up to now? I think I have to have one. They are way too cool not to!
Will do, he's happy to be back from the south pacific.
Would LOVE to build a boat for you, just let me know.
We have 5 in the fleet now.
Dec 24, 2015, 10:55 AM

Useful links for the J-class

I just subscribed to this thread and wanted to ask a question and also contribute a couple of links I have found most useful: The J-class does not current have a well-developed web site, but the Delta Model Yacht Club (Delta MYC) has two excellent sub-links that can be found at http://deltamyc.com/ One is to a very complete building manual for the EC12 that I have found most useful. The other is to a J boat building site that is still under development, but has good information. Have a look and see what you all think. There is a great discussion on the RMG winch in the GENERAL REPORTS section of the EC12 site and I really liked the "arrow turning block shaft" (see http://www.ec12.info/Sheetlines.htm), which makes the access to the bow block truly a snap! See what you all think.

My question is whether anyone out there has seen or had any experience with the sail winch made by Schepp Modellbeau in Germany? See
http://www.rcsailing.de/genua.html
I would be most appreciative of any feedback from those more technically experienced than I am.
Dec 28, 2015, 02:51 PM
Endeavour finally delivered to Stowe VT where she will be completed with a traditional deck and color scheme. Custom composite reinforced Sitka Spruce Mast and composite sails by Vector will round out this build. The boat next to it is a plank on laser cut frame Rainbow. The owner hopes to have both complete by June 2016.
Dec 28, 2015, 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriesailor
I just subscribed to this thread and wanted to ask a question and also contribute a couple of links I have found most useful: The J-class does not current have a well-developed web site, but the Delta Model Yacht Club (Delta MYC) has two excellent sub-links that can be found at http://deltamyc.com/ One is to a very complete building manual for the EC12 that I have found most useful. The other is to a J boat building site that is still under development, but has good information. Have a look and see what you all think. There is a great discussion on the RMG winch in the GENERAL REPORTS section of the EC12 site and I really liked the "arrow turning block shaft" (see http://www.ec12.info/Sheetlines.htm), which makes the access to the bow block truly a snap! See what you all think.

My question is whether anyone out there has seen or had any experience with the sail winch made by Schepp Modellbeau in Germany? See
http://www.rcsailing.de/genua.html
I would be most appreciative of any feedback from those more technically experienced than I am.
No experience with this one I'm afraid. Been using RMG for nearly all J related projects. Converted An older J build from an arm winch to an RMG. Due to sheet length differences between the main and Jib, I had to increase the sheet speed of the main by making it 1:2 which doubled the sheet load on the RMG. Add in the loads from the Jib, you are pushing beyond what most winches will handle but the 380EH with the 9turn spiral drum gets it done.

SJ