Aug 12, 2015, 12:41 PM
I have aluminum masts here if you want to jump ahead. My Yankee has a spruce rig which surprised me how light and strong it is. Could use Douglas Fir as well. A sleeve has been developed for the aluminum rigs so that may still be an option. The Rig on Yankee is at the class limit of 10' off the deck but some boats like the Shamrock are sailing with 8'ish. Ranger can handle the full 10' easily.

SJ
to remove ads between posts
Aug 12, 2015, 05:20 PM
Kraut
I would be very interested, just I case I make a mess out of that carbon stuff. I am still struggling with air bubbles in the sleeve and if I can not solve that I need tu built a vacuum chamber, yaiks

I am planning, have already the mold for the lead finished, a keel extention, made out of lead. Did that to one of my Atlantis and was able to hang a lot more sail on it. Sails fantastic. Removed the weight of the extension, from the inside ballast.

I think with that extension, I might get rather close to 9:1 scale of the mast length, which would defenetly change the look of the ship on the water.
The racing version of the RC J look always a little chopped of, compared to the originals.

The extension, will be held by several stainless screws, it can be taken off.

It is amazing how much the lower weight/ballast improves the handling.
Even if it is just 3 inches or 5 pounds as with the Atlantis.
My guess, the extension for the J will be around 10 to 12 pounds, if not 15.
Aug 12, 2015, 05:32 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Check out Tailwind Gliders and Curtis Suter. He has a video about making tailbooms from carbon cloth for small and large gliders. He does use a mandrel to form it on, so finding a 10 ft tapered stock could be hard.

Then there is the question of which carbon to use. It varies in weights and strength depending on type.

I though your idea of ferrules like a jointed fishing rod would work fine - maybe in 3 pieces?

BP
Aug 13, 2015, 06:31 AM
Sounds like the keel extension will allow you to go up in rig height. Scale rig heights are dizzingly tall. Will look amazing though. Can't wait to see her sailing.

SJ
Aug 13, 2015, 05:55 PM
Kraut
The mast on the J does not need to be tapered and a fishing rod would hardly work with out having a keep.

SJ, if you have a 10 feet spar for sale, I would like to buy it.

A real scale mast is naturally not reasonable, it would be around 16 feet.
All you need is to sneeze and the boat would founder.
But 11 feet should be possible, maybe 12.
12 would be daring, that is a lot of sail, added.

Thes basic design, you have a 30 mm, 3mm wall, carbon tube to which you epoxy a 8 or 10 mm carbon tube, which will be the keep.
Than you fill in the gap with foam, sand it in shape, and than run a carbon hose over it, stretch it very tight and epoxy the stuff.
You end up with a 32 mm mast.
Naturally, 11 and some feet, that's where it gets interesting and around $ 300 in material. So getting it right is rather important, can't waste 300 beer.

I found a company that produce 10 feet length of that pipe, and shorter stuff, down to 1 foot and have proper splices.
Material, of the very high strength stuff, is not a problem, the building stuff, is not as easy as it sounds.
Aug 13, 2015, 09:31 PM
Sure, it cost me $100 including shipping. So it would be $100 to you plus shipping to CO. You are aware of what this rig looks like?
Aug 13, 2015, 10:43 PM
Kraut
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingJunkie
Sure, it cost me $100 including shipping. So it would be $100 to you plus shipping to CO. You are aware of what this rig looks like?
Very much so. Shipping would be commercial freight, I would pack it into a 1 1/2 pipe, plug it at both ends, scedual 40.

If you can give me the numbers and per PN a paypal account you will have the beer money, same day
Aug 15, 2015, 11:25 AM
For those of you reading along and thinking these boats are too big and too heavy, let me splain...

They are large. Some are XL like Ranger. The smallest in the 1/16 scale is Shamrock and she carries about an 8.5' rig. Weighs about 80lbs but that's only when sailing. When she is de-rigged, the center and aft chunks of ballast come out and the hull and cradle can be easily picked up and transported. Nearly all the new boats are set up like this. Pick up a Ranger with one hand? No problem.

Older boats often have perm ballast which makes them difficult to move around so if your shopping and have trouble lifting, that's an important question to ask before you buy.

One thing I can tell you is the trouble moving is well worth the reward when sailing. Especially in a decent size fleet. The tactics and boat handling by some of these guys is nothing short of amazing. Of all the classes I sail, the J is by far my favorite.

So don't let the size intimidate you. These are worth the effort.

SJ
Aug 15, 2015, 09:56 PM
Yankee at Mystic
Aug 16, 2015, 02:57 PM
SJ

Can I ask you who did your sails on Yankee.
Aug 16, 2015, 03:55 PM
They were made by the builder a number of years ago out of Challange Polymax (spinnaker cloth). They are fairly old but still hold their shape.

SJ
Last edited by SailingJunkie; Sep 02, 2015 at 02:55 PM.
Sep 02, 2015, 02:54 PM

New Rainbow refit underway

New in the shop is a Rainbow that appears to have been built about 15 years ago. Not well built which is making the disassembly go better than we thought it would. It's a glass hull and despite its rough beginnings, it looks like it should make a good restoration project. Nice to be able to add another J to the starting line.

SJ
Sep 26, 2015, 01:40 PM
Another boat joins the New England Fleet

It's a Shamrock V that was built by DB Yachts a few years ago. It's now in the eager hands of one of our newest members Bob Smith.
Nov 04, 2015, 01:53 PM
rshousha
Greetings from Montreal,

I haven't been on this thread for a while and am happy to see the class progressing.

Did I mention I had completed a design for Rainbow? I am now working on Cheveyo.

Best Regards,

Rick Shousha
Modeller's Workshop
Montreal
Nov 06, 2015, 07:20 AM
Closed Account
Question! Just for scale purposes, is there a typical plank size used for the decks of the full size J's? From pictures I've seen I suspect they run in the area of 5 inches wide. Any ideas how long each one is? 20 feet maybe?