J Class - Page 3 - RC Groups
Jul 18, 2015, 04:06 PM
Just aquired an older fiberglass Rainbow. This is the only JClass Rainbow that I am aware of especially in fiberglass. It's an older build and needs everything. New deck, rudder, winch, rig and sails. Like I said, needs everything. I will post some photos shortly but if anyone is interested let me know.

SJ
to remove ads between posts
Jul 29, 2015, 06:24 PM
Mystic is next week and we currently have 8 Js registered for this years Regional Championship. 8 might not seem like much but when you consider they average around 8.5' with 9-10' rigs, 8 can consume a fair bit of race course.

Here is a sample of Mystic and Js. For what's it's worth, the boat starting port end is tragically under ballasted and it shows. The leader by the first leeward mark is a Ranger with a huge sail plan on a 10' rig. She is carrying a fair bit of ballast as well. She weighed in at about 100 lbs.

J Class Nationals, Mystic CT last race (9 min 54 sec)

Enjoy!
Last edited by SailingJunkie; Jul 29, 2015 at 06:31 PM.
Aug 01, 2015, 08:18 PM
Any boats coming from the South East or West Coast ?
Aug 01, 2015, 09:27 PM
This is a one day Regional Championship regatta. That generally reduces the number of traveller's so no one from the SE or West Coast.

SJ
Aug 04, 2015, 02:56 PM

Another Shamrock sailing...

The Chicago fleet continues to grow, this summer saw the maiden voyages
of THREE new Shamrocks. This one belongs to ken Young, he had it done,
but personal commitments kept him from making the J regatta's out east.
I had a chance to attend today's tuning sail, and snapped a few pics...
Yes, Ken is Irish.
Aug 04, 2015, 06:09 PM
She's a beauty. Is this hull from a plug ? Anybody out there producing Shamrock hulls ?
Aug 04, 2015, 06:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Zebb
She's a beauty. Is this hull from a plug ? Anybody out there producing Shamrock hulls ?
Yeap!
There are lots of shamrocks out there.
The Mould is in production with CPM models:http://www.rcyachts.com/JClass.htm
Aug 05, 2015, 05:49 PM
Bill, currently there are three sources for J class hulls.

In fiberglass, there is Shamrock from CPM as noted above and there is Ranger, Endeavour and Whirlwind from New England Model Yachts.

In Wood, Laser cut frames are available for nearly every J out there if you want to build a plank on frame hull of something more exotic like Rainbow, Enterprise or Weetamoe.

All good stuff

SJ
Aug 05, 2015, 05:52 PM
Yankee got some final tweaks today. New Spring Vang, new jumpers and some repairs to the standing rigging. Once complete, the rig was dock tuned and looks quite good.

Expecting some good breeze Friday for the Region 1 Championship.

SJ
Aug 07, 2015, 07:11 AM
rshousha
Greetings,

I was pleasantly surprised to see this thread. Here I though the J-class was in a lull. I am happy to report that I just cut and delivered a set of frames for a Lionheart model. I will have to pass this thread along to the owner who is sure to have many questions. He seems very keen to build a really nice model.

Best Regards,

Rick
Aug 10, 2015, 08:16 AM
No lull at all Rick! The class is alive and growing. 6 events this year on the East Coast with the 5th just last weekend in Mystic CT. The next is in Chicago. Seems to be a fair bit of interest in building some of the lesser known Js which is great.

The Region 1 Championships were held this past Friday as a one day event at Mystic Seaport. We had 8 boats registered but only 6 showed. We had light and shifty winds with a few periods of zero wind which allowed the incoming tide do it's thing. Mid afternoon, the breeze improved and gave us some excellent racing. We were able to complete 12 races for the day and the results looked like this with two drops...

1 Chuck Luscomb /Yankee 15pts
2 Kevin MacLellan /Shamrock 23pts
3 Brian Kerrigan /Ranger 30pts
4 Tim Stone / Endeavour 30pts
5 Skip Hall / Shamrock 41pts
6 Rob Hill/ Shamrock 56 pts (retired)
7 Gary Mueller / Ranger DNC
8 Biff Martin / Endeavour DNC
Last edited by SailingJunkie; Aug 10, 2015 at 08:23 AM.
Aug 10, 2015, 10:45 AM
rshousha
That's good to know. I'm making a huge effort to learn some surface design techniques so I can redesign some of these J-boats with more accuracy and tighter bulkheads. I'm glad to know the demand will still be there as time passes.

I'll keep the group posted as I start drawing using my new techniques in the New Year.

Cheers,

Rick
Aug 10, 2015, 07:28 PM
Kraut
Nice thread.
Got a Ranger I am building. Not for racing so I will do some changes under the waterline, that did rather well with my Atlantis'
Aug 12, 2015, 04:36 AM
Hi Shrott,

Saw your build thread a few months ago. How's the build coming?

SJ
Aug 12, 2015, 09:25 AM
Kraut
slow SJ.
I could not find a mast and did not get any response from the usual supliers for the Js.
So a friend of mine in Germany teaches me at the time how to built one of those tooth piks out of carbon. I have been working with short pieces, a foot long, to practice before I spent hundreds on a more than 10 feet long mast. That carbon stuff is rather priecy and it has to work on the first try.
The biggest problem will be the cutting of the keep and I have been playing around how to built a rig for my mini table saw, that will allow me to run a 10 feet plus work piece in a perfect straight line.
One idea I have been mulling on, how to built a mast that can be taken apart, like a fishing rod, would make it so much easier to transport.

I am not in a hurry