J Class - Page 22 - RC Groups
Feb 24, 2017, 08:29 AM
Steve Landeau IOM USA 12
Are the lines available to build from? Say maybe the Alden or the Payne? If so, who's got them and how much?
to remove ads between posts
Feb 26, 2017, 12:06 PM
Best place to start with ships plans is Mystic Seaport. Not sure what you mean by "the" Alden or Payne. John Alden and Frank Payne were both designers. Don't think Alden designed any Js. Payne designed "Yankee".
Feb 26, 2017, 12:27 PM

The Js are in.

Our first stock order of J hulls are now complete. Ranger, Endeavour and Whirlwind.

Frame kits are done for Endeavour. Ranger next and the on to rudders.

Short kit for each will consist of...

Hull
Rudder
Frame kit
4mm ply deck (rough cut)
Ballast (3 peices form fitted to each hull)

Hopfully will have Ranger and Endeavour kits completed in the next few months.

SJ
Feb 26, 2017, 04:11 PM
Will short kit include rudder shoe - installed or not - to go along with rudder n hull ??
Feb 26, 2017, 04:35 PM
Steve Landeau IOM USA 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingJunkie
Best place to start with ships plans is Mystic Seaport. Not sure what you mean by "the" Alden or Payne. John Alden and Frank Payne were both designers. Don't think Alden designed any Js. Payne designed "Yankee".
In the class rule they are listed as drawn by the designers mentioned but never built.

Are you saying that I need to buy the lines of the full sized drawings and scale them down myself?
Feb 26, 2017, 04:52 PM
Ibldrc

You could get J-class laser cut frames for several different J-class yachts and build board from guy in Canada.

This will give you head start on your J-class build ... and ... same guy can produce the same J-class laser cut frames in whatever scale you want.

Do a search of this forum - you should be able to find the Canadian guy producing laser cut frames (FYI - doubt he would give you lines ... would rather sell you laser cut frames)

Above is just a SUGGESTION
=========================
update 2-26-17 see this link below
=========================
See the following from other forum post on Laser Cut Frames ...

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...J-Class/page14

Post #205
============================
rshousha

You can find my frames at http://www.modellers-workshop.com but the proof is in the pudding and you should have a look at spinnaker225's builds of Rainbow (my frames) alongside Endeavour (a Fiberglas hull). I had the opportunity to visit with him last month and was quite surprised by the differences between using my frames and buying a prepared hull. Mine was so much cooler!

Once you get on my site, we can discuss by regular email through the contact link there.

Best Regards,
Rick
Last edited by slo.ca6; Feb 26, 2017 at 06:07 PM.
Feb 27, 2017, 08:58 AM
Modeler/ Historian
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingJunkie
Our first stock order of J hulls are now complete. Ranger, Endeavour and Whirlwind.

Frame kits are done for Endeavour. Ranger next and the on to rudders.

Short kit for each will consist of...

Hull
Rudder
Frame kit
4mm ply deck (rough cut)
Ballast (3 peices form fitted to each hull)

Hopfully will have Ranger and Endeavour kits completed in the next few months.

SJ
Two questions; estimated prices, and do you have a website? Thanks... They look fantastic, I hope to build a big J someday soon.
Feb 27, 2017, 03:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo.ca6
Will short kit include rudder shoe - installed or not - to go along with rudder n hull ??
The keel shoe will be in the rudder pack for each hull.

SJ
Feb 27, 2017, 03:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibldrc
In the class rule they are listed as drawn by the designers mentioned but never built.

Are you saying that I need to buy the lines of the full sized drawings and scale them down myself?
I'm not aware of anyone who has or sells plans already in 1/16th scale. You would either have to purchase laser cut frames from Rick Shousha (who scaled these boats to 1/16 to sell laser cut frames) or scale them yourself.

SJ
Feb 27, 2017, 04:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Vick
Two questions; estimated prices, and do you have a website? Thanks... They look fantastic, I hope to build a big J someday soon.
Early estimates for the short kit will be right around $1800.00.

We will also offer al la cart items such as deck hardware, mast and booms, winch/servo kits, standing and running rigging and finally sails.

In addition, full or partial builds are available and quoted from the base boat as shown or fully scale replicas of the original.

No website yet...

SJ
Apr 19, 2017, 06:41 PM
If it floats....sail it!

Time is Running Out - 2017 J Class NCR

Time is running out to get the $20 early registration discount from the fees for the 2017 J Class NCR to be held at Bridgeway Lakes Park in West Sacramento on June 9, 10 and 11. The deadline for the discounted rate is May 8, 2017.

The NOR, SI's and application are posted here: http://sacmyc.net/#/event-2017JNCR

So go into the closet (to hold a J it will have to be at least a walk-in closet) and dust off that old J and make plans to participate in a classic battle of the original 12 meter yachts in scale form.

If you need further information, PM me.
May 08, 2017, 08:19 PM
Hi all, another reminder that you should register for the 2017 NCR above. You should also join us for the 2017 Green Mountain Regatta in Stowe VT. This will be our Region 1 Championships and the event is capped at 30. Based on the numbers we saw last year, that may not be out of reach.

http://stoweyachtclub.com

SJ
Jun 08, 2017, 12:10 PM
Kevin Gault
Will anyone be posting photos/results from this weekend's J-Class NCR in Sacto?
I'd love to drive up and spectate, but have to work Saturday...and it's a long drive.

Good luck to all the racers!

Kevin
Jun 08, 2017, 01:36 PM
If it floats....sail it!
Yes on both counts, although I am not sure when they will be up.

We have a person, with a drone, taking both on the water shots from a boat and from shore. It may take some time to sort through all the pictures, but we will get them posted to the clubs' websites and I will post a link here.

Steve
Jun 08, 2017, 02:50 PM
Kevin Gault
Sounds very cool Steve. Looking forward to it. Hope all goes well....you guys put on a first class regatta so should be a lot of fun for the competitors....and us long distance spectators!

Kevin