Jun 25, 2015, 02:10 PM
The work on Yankee is progressing nicely. The rudder was removed and repaired, a new spiral drum has been fitted and the 380 has been programed. Still some work to do on the rig which will include new jumpers and another spreader will be added. Going to have to make a spring loaded vang that will keep the boom up in light air.

SJ
to remove ads between posts
Jun 25, 2015, 10:10 PM

J's

I noticed in one of your other photos a large mold in the corner is that a
J mold if so which one?
thx Mike

Jun 25, 2015, 10:18 PM
Not sure which mold you saw but I have the mold for Ranger, Endeavour and Whirlwind. Just acquired them this spring and will start producing hulls in the next few months. I will also have matching ballasts, rudders and mast blanks as well as we develop short kits for these three models.

Stay tuned

SJ
Last edited by SailingJunkie; Jun 26, 2015 at 02:35 AM.
Jun 26, 2015, 09:57 PM
Mystic Race Week is fast approaching and we will be hosting the R1 J Championships. We typically see between 10-15 boats and these guys are full on racing and pushing the limits of these boats. Here are a few photos from last time...
Jun 27, 2015, 12:27 AM
That middle pic is of Rob Hills stick-built Ranger ( #103)-interesting boat,in that
he has a EXTERNAL keel that bolts on thru the hull. With the rig and keel off of
it, the hull itself barely weighs , 8 to 10 pounds maybe ? like picking up a Soling.
But now he has a CPM Shamrock he campaigns from the east coast area.
Allan
Jul 01, 2015, 03:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingJunkie
Great photo Alan, now I can say I've seen one bury the bow!

SJ

Here is the photo I was thinking of. Any size boat can bury the bow.
Jul 01, 2015, 04:00 PM
Thomas Armstrong
Remember this one, too: https://youtu.be/TFjxEfg_mEw?t=130
Jul 01, 2015, 05:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingJunkie
Here is the photo I was thinking of. Any size boat can bury the bow.
That looks like fun!!!
Jul 05, 2015, 11:19 PM
If you like the J's then you have to check out this website. The new J8

http://www.hoekdesign.com/yacht/j8
Jul 06, 2015, 10:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Zebb
If you like the J's then you have to check out this website. The new J8

http://www.hoekdesign.com/yacht/j8
What a beauty. Frank Paine was a very underrated designer.

Too bad nobody has done a Yankee plug for the class. I wrote up the history of her evolution and many modifications for the Classic Yacht Symposium a couple of years ago. PM me if you'd like a copy.

Cheers,

Earl
Jul 06, 2015, 12:06 PM
Hi Earl, I am working on fully vetting out the plank on frame one I have here. If she continues to show good performance then we may use her to produce a mold over the winter. I would love a copy of your presentation.

Also, the class rules show two versions of Yankee, can you speak to the differences between the original and the later versions?

SJ
Jul 06, 2015, 02:00 PM
PM me with your email and I'll send you a copy of the paper.

They changed the profile and moved some of the ballast in 1937 to deal with that humongous genoa they ran that year. The drawings are in the paper.

Cheers,

Earl
Jul 06, 2015, 02:01 PM
Chuck I have the revised Yankee lines on cad. I worked from the data earl found on the changes.
Jul 06, 2015, 07:22 PM
Hi John,

Yes, would be interested in seeing what you have on Yankee. You asked at one point if it had the modified bow. I have been looking for details as I wanted to determine which waterline was appropriate for my version. Any clues would be great.

One thing I can tell you at this point is that this version of Yankee is quite quick and able to go toe to toe with the larger Js just as Hoek Design points out. I was very surprised as once we sorted out a few of her issues, she sprang to life. Very impressed with Yankee.

Chuck
Last edited by SailingJunkie; Jul 06, 2015 at 07:29 PM.
Jul 08, 2015, 07:28 AM
Here is the response I got from John Hanks regarding which waterline is appropriate.

Chuck Yankee was refit in 1937 and brought to the max waterline allowed in the rules, 87 feet, and was then used as a trial horse for Ranger. You can use either LWL, just specify on any entry form that the boat is configured to the 1937 specs if you use the longer measurement. No one should have an issue with that as long as they are smart enough to look in the class rules. The 1937 version also allows for a slightly larger sail plan that was adapted to fit the longer LWL (heavier) to bring the yacht into compliance with the rules.

Let me know if you have other questions.

John