This thread is privately moderated by Imageek2, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 10, 2015, 01:57 AM
Bad command or file name
Thread OP
Gallery

Xplorer 1 - 3.8

The Xplorer 3.8 was my next ship after the Stork. I purchased it used but in very nice condition. It took me a long time to dial it in, probably because when I started flying it I had a total of about two months flying experience. It was very much a learning on the job situation. I entered my first competition with the Xplorer. When I was signing up they asked me what class I was flying in and I said "Sportsman". "What are you flying?" "An Xplorer." "Some Sportsman!"

Just when I finally had it flying the way I wanted I tried launching myself on the winch for the first time. I was totally unprepared. The winch yanked the plane from my hand and sent it crashing down field. I didn't get to see it because the tail knocked my hat over my eyes, so I was at least spared witnessing the carnage firsthand. Two destroyed wingtips and a broken fuse and my Xplorer 3.8 was no more .

I didn't take a picture of the wreckage at the field, now I document those moments for posterity. But here is a photo of the damage.

It was then that I decided not to buy any more planes in really nice condition. It is hard to see a nice plane damaged. It is even harder when the guy who took such good care of it before you sees it!
to remove ads between posts
Jun 10, 2015, 08:56 PM
That is totally repairable, no problem, that will fly again. Do some search on repairing molded wings and fuses or get Paul Naton 's excellent repair DVDs at Radio Carbon Art. You will fly it again.

Quick Reply