Jun 08, 2015, 10:58 PM
hot air rises...
Thread OP
Discussion

Road to Ludbreg

I always like reading other's thoughts/write-ups about contests. So I feel like I should pay back a little. I'm not as witty as Seid or Siler nor am I as thorough as a Barnes (btw, good to see you flying again!), but hopefully you'll find some insight and laugh at my boneheaded mistakes too. I'll try to post at least once per day to this thread about what I'm doing to get myself ready. And I'll try to post here once I'm over in Croatia, but if you do FB and you're not yet my FB friend, send me a request (https://www.facebook.com/jon.finch.39) 'cause I'm likely to post more there once we're in Europe just 'cause it's easier to post to FB and my family/non-RC friends want updates too and I don't want to be typing all evening .

So before I start I'd like to thank everyone who's helped me/us along the way. Graupner (Mannie and Hannes) for my awesome radios/servos and always having an open ear to listen to a glider pilot's wishes. MKS (Thomas) for your support, you've got the servos everyone wants to emulate. Kennedy Composites/Vladimir's Models (Barry and Vladimir) for helping with the Snipes. And especially everyone reading this... your donations, no matter how much, takes so much homefront pressure off all us pilots. THANKS!

What I did today: Ordered a bunch of replacement batteries from HobbyKing for my planes and a couple new 2200 mah 3s packs to power my field charger. Hopefully they'll get here before we leave . Tonight the weather was dead dead calm. Perfect to get my elevator to butterfly compensation worked out on my newest Snipes. I got a couple new snipes that showed up last week. One shorty fused and one "Poway" special (light wing). I got them built late last week but the weather wasn't really cooperating until the weekend but on Saturday I met up with Lemon and Clint for some group fly... and when I group fly there's no time to "tune". So tonight I got the elevator compensation dead on for both new planes. No more pitching up.

I decided about a year before the last TS event that I was going to concentrate on a single plane for at least a year to see if getting to know it would help my flying. I think it did and the plane I decided to concentrate on was the Snipe. But after the TS event I thought I might try out some other planes to see if I was missing anything. Everything I tried was nice, but none of them "bonded" with me like the Snipe. About a month ago I put all the other planes aside and decided it was time to get back to concentrating on flying the plane I'll fly in Croatia, Snipe. Having said that, I also have a Vortex 2 and Vibe... one of those will also make the trip but I'm not really sure which one. Probably the V2 since I've had it much longer and I'm more comfortable with it... but sometimes it seems the Vibe has magic... decisions, decisions.

To be continued...
to remove ads between posts
Jun 08, 2015, 11:05 PM
hot air rises...
Thread OP
I think this is the field we'll be flying on...

F3K Stobel V3 (2 min 7 sec)
Jun 08, 2015, 11:38 PM
Full disclosure, not sponsored
Tell me more about Saturday...............
Jun 09, 2015, 01:51 AM
(2 min 49 sec)
Jun 09, 2015, 08:19 AM
Must Luv DLG

Home Crowd Cheers

Take the Snipe(s)

Bring Home the GOLD

Last edited by Launch-1; Jun 09, 2015 at 09:14 AM.
Jun 09, 2015, 08:36 AM
Hey Jon,

actually, it is not our WC flying field where the guys in the videos are flying at.
The first scene of the Stobel vid shows a field in about 3-400m distance with bushes and 3 larger trees. That's the area to be prepared as our flying field.

Happy to see you guys so soon

Have a safe trip,

RJ
Jun 09, 2015, 03:15 PM
Where is the lift?
Sooooo, what happened on Sat?

Charlie
Jun 09, 2015, 03:28 PM
hot air rises...
Thread OP
On Saturday I kicked Lemon's trash in AULD for about 2 hrs using three different planes! I can't wait to do it again this Saturday (if he'll show up)...
Jun 09, 2015, 05:07 PM
Where is the lift?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfinch
On Saturday I kicked Lemon's trash in AULD for about 2 hrs using three different planes! I can't wait to do it again this Saturday (if he'll show up)...
Muahhh! That's a confidence builder!

Charlie
Jun 09, 2015, 06:16 PM
UAV Test Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptsnoopy
Muahhh! That's a confidence builder!

Charlie
Hahahahahahahaha
Jun 09, 2015, 06:18 PM
UAV Test Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfinch
LOL.. Kicked his trash..

The Mormon way to swear without swearing! It's OK.. we all know what you meant, Jon.
Jun 09, 2015, 06:44 PM
hot air rises...
Thread OP
How to Speak Southern Utah'n (5 min 31 sec)

On my way out to fly....
Jun 09, 2015, 07:43 PM
launch height can't fix stupid
Actually kickin' Lemon is kind of like so many bully clichés that you should be ashamed of your actions.

You might need to moderate this thread too
Jun 09, 2015, 09:41 PM
Just Fly it

Lemon

I have nevver met John, but i see his name all the time. Im sure i will know him when i see him. Im certain there is a large bulls eye on his back. That is how i will know him.
Jun 09, 2015, 11:00 PM
hot air rises...
Thread OP
I flew at lunch today. It was stoopid easy air so I practiced QTs. I have a 30 second countdown timer on loop on my phone that I practice with. I need practice! I was consistently 1 second early or late for about 30 min of flying. I think I'll practice QT again tomorrow.

Looking at google earth it appears that we'll have about a 1/2 mile walk from the hotel to the flying field. Not bad, but I think I need some way to transport my planes other than the sport tube. I'd really like to put them together on day one and take them apart when we leave. So I built this "tote". I quickly sketched it out in autocad, printed it and transferred it to some Sintra , cut it out on my bandsaw and using a hot air gun folded it along the fold lines. I think it'll work (for at least 3 planes) IF it'll fit in my luggage...

I also spent about 45 min tonight just before the sun went down eeking out 2:30 - 3:00 min flights. It was great practice for flying in almost no lift...

Quick Reply