Jun 08, 2015, 04:00 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Thread OP
Discussion

RC Boost glider conversion of the uMX Whipit RC hand launch glider

Details in the thread over on the Rocketry Forum.

http://www.rocketryforum.com/showthr...r-an-18mm-RCRG

Stock model
http://www.horizonhobby.com/EFLU3150...FYNAaQodr1oANw

The picture shows my upside down conversion, done to keep parts away from the heat and avoid exhaust damage

Video of flight number two on a B4-2, still working on the trim. First flight was a Red Baron.

P1310518 (1 min 27 sec)
Latest blog entry: RC events for 2019!
to remove ads between posts
Jun 09, 2015, 07:44 PM
Well done!

I didn't notice before but is there any fore and aft play in the wing? It doesn't look like there is any support at the rear set of screws. No wing saddle to speak of.

Richard
Jun 09, 2015, 07:55 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tellurian
Well done!

I didn't notice before but is there any fore and aft play in the wing? It doesn't look like there is any support at the rear set of screws. No wing saddle to speak of.

Richard
No fore and aft play. The rear screws go in at a bit of an angle to the saddle and trap the wing out away from the rear mount. Makes it easy to adjust the wing incidence with a screwdriver. Original plan was to add some plastic tube sections cut to set the wing incidence at these screw locations, but it was not really required.

I filed the outer edges of the front wing mount on the fuse so that the wing would mate to it on a small surface there rather than a single point.
Jun 10, 2015, 11:01 AM
Good to know. I'm the paranoid sort, too many fails does that to you, so I'd put something in there anyway lest vibration or flutter enlarge the screw holes.

Richard
Jun 10, 2015, 07:15 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Thread OP
Quote:
Good to know. I'm the paranoid sort, too many fails does that to you, so I'd put something in there anyway lest vibration or flutter enlarge the screw holes.

Richard
The screws are sheet metal type screws that thread tightly into the plastic wing mounts on the fuse. Between that and the way the screws trap the rear wing mounting holes on the wing itself, I do not see them moving. Before going that route, I tried to move the wing on the screws and it is firmly in place.

I am not as paranoid as you as my failure rate is pretty minimal..... I flew the Whipit three times last week and also put 5 other flights total on 3 other new RC boost and rocket gliders with zero problems.
Jun 12, 2015, 03:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B
I am not as paranoid as you as my failure rate is pretty minimal..... I flew the Whipit three times last week and also put 5 other flights total on 3 other new RC boost and rocket gliders with zero problems.
Point taken.

My income these days does not allow for failure but Murphy contrives them to increase in proportion to my attempts not to. Sorry if I rubbed you the wrong way.

Richard
Jun 12, 2015, 11:18 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Thread OP
Quote:
Point taken.

My income these days does not allow for failure but Murphy contrives them to increase in proportion to my attempts not to. Sorry if I rubbed you the wrong way.

Richard
Nothing rubbed the wrong way. Just letting you know that it is not always possible to do analysis via a picture. Some things do not present visually.

If the wing was loose or in danger of being loose, I would not launch it....

I might take out anothe fraction of a degree of incidence before the next boost.

Quick Reply