Proctor Antic monoplane - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jun 05, 2015, 10:50 AM
Help!

Proctor Antic monoplane

Hello, I just recently acquired Proctor Antic monoplane.
It is in very good condition. It's a beauty. It has wire spoked wheels which I love.

Guy started redoing wing rigging/flying wires but haven't finished it yet. I'd like to finish it, and make sure I set correct amount of dihedral and maybe washout (if needed).

Also, I will convert it to electric, wan to keep it clean.

I need some help with:
1. Finding manual to read up about dihedral/washout
2. Electric conversion - what motor/ESC/battery combo.
3. Proctors curved prop 14x4, wold it work with my conversion.
4. Source of WW1 era looking props in different sizes.
5. Any other details I can do, to make it look nice. Maybe some pictures of your Antic

Thanks in advance
Mario
to remove ads between posts
Jun 05, 2015, 07:12 PM
Mario,
1. I'd give Joe at Proctor Enterprises a call. He can tell you everything about the antics and he's a great guy as well.

http://www.proctor-enterprises.com/c...s/contacts.htm

2. you just have to size the motor for the weight of the plane and how you want to fly. Electric isn't my bag, so I'd check in the electric forums for some help.

3. If you size the motor correctly.

4. http://www.espritmodel.com/xoar-prop...wi-pjwwis.aspx
This isn't the only place. Search Xoar scimitar or Xoar WWI props. Plenty of others sell them.

5. It's not the full size Antic, it's a mini Antic. Everybit as nice and flies just as well as its larger brother.

Martin
Last edited by mcjustis; Jun 05, 2015 at 08:15 PM.
Jun 05, 2015, 08:10 PM
Branjo
Mario,

Also, The prop you have is for Gas engines. You will need a propeller made for electric motors, but as far as one that is WW1 era, I'm not really sure if there are any. There are some great links though here at rcgroups about painting and detailing your prop to look the part. Just do a search. Anyway, Really nice plane. Joe at Proctor can help you with the rest.
Branden
Jun 05, 2015, 10:37 PM
Very nice antic.
Thanks for responses guys. I'll contact Proctor Joe
As for the prop and weight I'm not really sure, but I'd imagine it'll weigh same as glow or maybe 10% more.
By the way. How much do they usually weigh?

So far just guessing, but Power90 electric motor with 5 cell should be more than needed. I'll do some cakculations soon.
Jun 06, 2015, 12:31 PM
Matt Haugh
When designing electric power systems for scale(ish) flight, I try to start by figuring out the largest prop I can comfortably swing without having to worry about striking the ground, then build back from there based on weight of airplane and flight goals. This maximizes air over the tail and tends to result in a more efficient setup overall, even up to the point of being able to drop a cell from your LiPo plans. For example, going from 4 cells to 3, or from 3 to 2. I like the wood Xoar props (they seem very efficient) and one would look great on your old Antic. You can even sand off the varnish and stain them if you like. Since this is a stately plane that will probably look best flying slow, you may only need 60 watts per pound or so. Once you know the weight and how big a prop you want to swing, the motor and battery bit becomes a piece of cake to sort out.
Jul 11, 2015, 05:33 PM
If you build it, it will fly

Video of proctor antic

Here is a video I made on a median flight of a hand built Proctor Antic

Proctor Antic median at RSA California, no crash (6 min 11 sec)
Jul 13, 2015, 12:05 PM
Heli Bouncer
At the 2006 Dawn Patrol at Mollala two owners of Antics had electric conversions. One was flying on an AstroFlight 60 brushed geared motor with Nimh round cells and was getting 12 minute flights with enough excess power to do loops without diving. Not exactly a light weight power system.
Jul 13, 2015, 12:26 PM
The old days of electric power
Jul 13, 2015, 12:42 PM
I love the video.
Sep 22, 2015, 10:19 PM
son of a pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by purefun
Here is a video I made on a median flight of a hand built Proctor Antic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upu-pAZbL3I
Probably the best produced video I have seen here on RCG. And I have been here 15+ years.
Sep 29, 2015, 10:16 AM
I finished and flew my conversion some time ago. I went with Turnigy G60 500kV motor, 14x8 Xoar Scimitar prop and Turnigy Plus 60A ESC, Using 2x5S 2000 mAh for tatal of 4000mAh battery. Power system is too fast, but I fly up to half throttle most of the time. Good thing is, that i did not need any nose weight. Motor and batteries did it for me. Flight time, well, 8-9 minutes with a lot to spare.
Plane flies gracious and stable. Looks pretty in the air. I painted Polish air force checkers and added Vickers gun to it. It's not really scale, so I made it the way I like it.
Oct 11, 2015, 12:14 PM
Few more pictures from flight
Jan 26, 2016, 05:00 PM
nice how difficult to remove the batteries?
Jan 26, 2016, 10:54 PM
very easy. Unclip two brown straps going across top of the "cowl". open up the cowl. Batteries come out.