Jun 04, 2015, 02:49 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Align Trex 550E DFC Pro vs. Trex 550L Dominator

I recently built a Trex 550L Dominator and a few days ago an acquaintance offered me aTrex 550E DFC Pro super combo kit with the latest version of the 3GX for $500. So how do the flight characteristics of the 550E compare with the 550L. I'm tempted to grab the 550E for what looks like a steal but just curious as to how they compare. I know the 550L is built on a new frame but that 550E is a pretty looking heli also.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 04, 2015, 01:28 PM
www.scotiarc.co.uk - OMP Helis
The very latest 550 DFC has the same motor (730MX) and same mechanicals as the 550L. Really only the servos and frame layout are different, so I'd expect them to fly very similar.

Probably the biggest difference in the way they fly would be down to the FBL controllers. Dropping a Kbar in would solve any shortcomings with the 3GX
Jun 04, 2015, 02:05 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer
The very latest 550 DFC has the same motor (730MX) and same mechanicals as the 550L. Really only the servos and frame layout are different, so I'd expect them to fly very similar.

Probably the biggest difference in the way they fly would be down to the FBL controllers. Dropping a Kbar in would solve any shortcomings with the 3GX
Thats what I was thinking...replace the 3GX with a Kbar. Well, I gotta think this one over. I need another heli like I need a hole in the head. I m getting pretty tight for airplane and heli storage space.
Jun 04, 2015, 03:47 PM
Just remember the scientifically proven formula for optimum number of helis/airplanes:

Optimum number = Current number of airplanes + Current number of helis +1
Jun 05, 2015, 01:40 PM
Thread OP
I got a lot of stuff stored in my guest room and I have friends visiting in October so I gotta clear the room out. Actually, I have a bunch of old 4 channel and a couple Walkeras that I need to clear out. I was never able to fly those Walkeras. I made a mistake of buying them as entry level CP heli's. Wrong move and much frustration. I could probably fly them now but they need to be repaired. I have tons of spare parts for those and my two 450's. But the 550L Dominator flies so nice I'm tempted to try this 550E.
Jun 08, 2015, 06:44 PM
A man who delivers.(packages)
Quote:
Just remember the scientifically proven formula for optimum number of helis/airplanes:

Optimum number = Current number of airplanes + Current number of helis +1
sir, would you break it down for me? i'm sure there's some hidden answer within the equation, but my gray matter seems a little modest to find the answer.
Jun 08, 2015, 11:28 PM
Thread Lurker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Pitcher
sir, would you break it down for me? i'm sure there's some hidden answer within the equation, but my gray matter seems a little modest to find the answer.
The formula in english means, there is always space for one more.

unfortunately that applies even if you do not have any space, cuz you can always build a bigger space - or move out.
Jun 08, 2015, 11:51 PM
Errr yeah... The '+1' at the end of the equation means that no matter how many airplanes and helis you currently have the optimum number is one more.
Jun 09, 2015, 03:10 AM
Thread Lurker
Quote:
Errr yeah... The '+1' at the end of the equation means that no matter how many airplanes and helis you currently have the optimum number is one more.
Yeah, im having trouble resisting the temptation to buy another heli.. i have to keep telling myself that i can wait a little more..
Jun 09, 2015, 07:39 PM
A man who delivers.(packages)
i was itching to get something in the "extra300" class, but somehow rash is gone. i feel like a happy old man with 3 aircraft.
Jun 09, 2015, 11:04 PM
Thread OP
Only 3 aircraft? You better hurry and buy more soon. I've been in CP helis less than 2 years and I have five. I also have 4 airplanes. Been concentrating more on helis. They seem to offer more of a challenge.
Jun 09, 2015, 11:39 PM
Thread Lurker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Pitcher
i was itching to get something in the "extra300" class, but somehow rash is gone. i feel like a happy old man with 3 aircraft.
Now that the phoenix 2000 is out of stock at hobbyking, i decided to finish up the Precision Aerobatics Extra MX instead. I only have 2 planes left after losing the p2k. the 7 helis sitting on my shelf still get most of my flying time though..

Flying an airplane can be equally challenging, depending on what you are doing - but most of the time its alot more relaxed. Gives me time to actually breathe and is great for days where i'm not looking to have a heart attack.

Back on topic, i did look at align helis before.. They've really diluted their product lineup now with all the helis they're pushing out. If you want to buy them brand new, just go for the Dominator line - because the parts for them are available in more areas. Performance wise, they're actually mostly the same - though they are switching out of DFC with their newer releases.. which makes it better for people who never liked DFC to begin with.
Last edited by ZeniethLily; Jun 09, 2015 at 11:46 PM.

Quick Reply