Jun 22, 2015, 08:00 AM
Can't fly 3D for toffee ...
Nooooooo!
to remove ads between posts
Jul 25, 2015, 12:07 AM
Anyone tried a bigger faster motor on one of these? Just ordered the plane, and I'm wondering if I should be installing one of my 24gram motors, and sticking to a standard build, or dropping something like my spare 60 gram funfighter motor on it.

1950kv Funfighter motor, a 6x4 prop, 30A esc and 850mAh 3s battery could be a lot of fun.
Jul 25, 2015, 12:37 AM
Team Twisted!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by localfiend
Anyone tried a bigger faster motor on one of these? Just ordered the plane, and I'm wondering if I should be installing one of my 24gram motors, and sticking to a standard build, or dropping something like my spare 60 gram funfighter motor on it.

1950kv Funfighter motor, a 6x4 prop, 30A esc and 850mAh 3s battery could be a lot of fun.
Too big of a motor will cause trouble with obtaining CG... even with the 24g motor the battery is pretty far forward.... you could probably get away with something 35g or less.
cdee
Jul 25, 2015, 01:28 AM
How about using a bigger battery? Wing loading will of course go up, but if this plane is anything like other twisted hobbys designs, wing loading is tiny to start with.
Jul 26, 2015, 08:32 PM
Team Twisted!
Thread OP
you could.... certainly run a bigger battery, probably would not want to do something any larger that 1000mAh. Fuselage structure in that area is intended for smaller packs... I run two 450/3s packs in a saddle configuration and like it very much.
cdee
Jul 26, 2015, 09:04 PM
Out Standing In The Field

About that noise...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdee
With the New F22 Raptor from RCF/Twisted Hobbys however, you will have to settle for something as easy to launch as 32" Crack Yak, and not so loud that you get banned from the park...
cdee
As much as I like AC/DC (the intro to "Have A Drink On Me" is the finest in all of Rock and/or Roll), in this other well done video (which unfortunately does not specify the motor used) the plane sounded very loud to me. I thought that the lower kv motor might make this F22 quiet enough for me, but this second video seems to prove that wrong.

Any chance of a video of your plane with your motor/prop sounds?

Maiden flight of my twistedhobbys 29" F-22 (2 min 1 sec)
Jul 26, 2015, 09:55 PM
Team Twisted!
Thread OP
no sound of the motors available without doing a re-edit of the video... sounds similar to what you have thought... Prop in Slot planes are usually a little louder than a similar size "Tractor" prop plane.
cdee
Jul 27, 2015, 12:18 AM
Crash-safe
Propslots are noisy
But look at Otto's tests. With some tinkering (not the best optics though) you can reduce it: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1608266

As for the power setup:
I compared this Raptor with Tomhe's. The dimensions are the same.
I fly the Tomhe Raptor with some cheap 1800kV, 3s 1300mh and a 7x5 prop.
It just rocks ! From hi-speed to very slow hi-alphas (even managed to hold it in place for 10 secs with a little headwind)

cdee,
On such a power setup you expect weight or stability problems ?
The kit is nicely done by the way

Just my 2 cents
Jul 27, 2015, 09:48 AM
Team Twisted!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by lessram
Propslots are noisy
But look at Otto's tests. With some tinkering (not the best optics though) you can reduce it: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1608266

As for the power setup:
It just rocks ! From hi-speed to very slow hi-alphas (even managed to hold it in place for 10 secs with a little headwind)

cdee,
On such a power setup you expect weight or stability problems ?
The kit is nicely done by the way

Just my 2 cents
the forward area of the fuselage is kind of narrow, and locating a bigger battery up there might not be the best fit. The weight itself should be fine, and would not expect stability problems either
cdee
Jul 27, 2015, 01:57 PM
Out Standing In The Field
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdee
no sound of the motors available without doing a re-edit of the video... sounds similar to what you have thought... Prop in Slot planes are usually a little louder than a similar size "Tractor" prop plane.
cdee
Quote:
Originally Posted by lessram
Propslots are noisy

As for the power setup:
Thanks for the prompt & informative responses! Especially the link to Otto's tests. I read the thread and wherever it lead and it was very interesting.

It kind of looks from the RCFactory/Twisted build instruction pics that there's already a bit of "bow tie" on the leading edge side of the prop, but there doesn't appear to be enough "meat" in the foam to carve out more material to approximate the dimensions that Otto recommends. It seems that there's plenty of room to open up behind the prop, but that's the less critical direction.

My brother in law has ordered this plane (I heard about it from him), so I'll probably wait & see what his "hands on" experience with it is.

Thanks again!
Jul 28, 2015, 12:35 AM
Kit arrived today. Which was extremely fast, didn't expect it until later in the week.

Since it was here, I decided to build it.

Unfortunately, the Funfighter motor was not going to work without more mods than I wanted to deal with. It was just a bit to big, and there was no good way to accommodate the prop shaft without cutting it, or drilling through the main spar.

The 24g motors I had, also wouldn't work without chopping things, they were too long. Since I wanted it built, I threw on a spare 30g 250 quad motor with a 6045 HQ prop.

Should provide 620 grams of thrust at full throttle. I'm using a 20 amp esc.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2203375

Build came in at 311 grams with an 850mah 3s battery installed. My 20a esc and wires must be heavy or something, didn't expect to be that far above the quoted 250 grams.

If the wind goes away, I'll be trying it out tomorrow, and see what it can do. If it's not fast enough, I'll be getting a bigger motor.
Jul 28, 2015, 06:20 AM
Team Twisted!
Thread OP
Hey Localfiend... build looks great.. looking forward to you flying report with that setup.
cdee
Jul 28, 2015, 10:24 PM
The weather was nice this evening, and I used burned through three 850mah batteries. Flight times are right around 5 minutes with 30% capacity remaining.

The plane handles great. Flight envelope is huge, no problem at all goofing off in the back yard. Could be flown indoors without a problem. Glide slope is very good, even at my 311 gram weight. High alpha, and inverted high alpha are a breeze. Heck, it'll even hover for a few seconds, but without a rudder that's kind of an exercise in futility. Top speed is still slower than I was hoping for, but I don't recommend adding any more power.

This motor has enough torque to twist the whole plane when you really get on the throttle. I imagine this could be cured with a stiffer main spar (carbon?), or perhaps the addition of some additional stiffeners. If you watch some of the high speed passes, the twisting is obvious.

Here's a quick video of my 3rd flight. Missed the takeoff somehow, but oh well. It's a breeze to launch.

TwistedHobbysF22 (3 min 30 sec)

It's kinda loud when you get above 50% throttle, but no more so than any other prop in slot plane I've flown. It's an F22, they're supposed to make some noise.
Aug 03, 2015, 05:00 AM
Is this a good motor for the Raptor?
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ess_motor.html
Ive got already servos and the ESC but Im looking for a suitable motor in the budged region.

Regards
Bodo
Aug 03, 2015, 10:10 AM
Plane Destroyer / Life Enjoyer
Mine arrived today still on the fence on wheter I want to do a 3 servo or two servo build. (Three servo would be one on elevators and one on each aileron) Seems like it would be more fun running it withe ailerons / elevator.

You guys have experience though, does it fly well enough with the connected elevator / ailerons?

Quick Reply