Lumenier RB2205C-12 2400KV SKITZO Ceramic Bearing Motor
Old Jun 02, 2015, 04:40 PM
Find More Posts by SeByDocKy
Mini-Review

HUAJUN W609 (under construction)

INTRODUCTION

Here is my mini-review of the W609-10, a micro-hexacopter equiped of 2Mpx camera. It's one of the first camera hexacopter plateform and thanks to its 6 motors, the W609 should offer more stable videos. Let's analyse this new "alien"

BOX CONTENT

+ 1 x HUAJUN W609-10 (with a 1S 650mAh LiPo ending with JST connector )
+ 1 x Transmitter (using 4xAA batteries not included)
+ 1 x USB microSD reader
+ 1 x 4Gb microSD
+ 1 x USB charger for the quadricopter LiPo
+ 4 x Spare props (2 CW, 2 CCW)
+ 1 x Instruction manual (English/Chinese)
+ 1 x Screwdriver

OVERVIEW

side view

rear view

top view

The ground clearance is around 9cm thanks to these long legs

The camera is connected via a 3 pins mini-JST connector. Good news, there is power switch

Some nice and bright LEDs (white on front and green on rear) give to W609 excellent night capacities

The battery bay must be opened by first turning the lock clockwise then too slide the battery door up

The bay don't have a lot of room. Anyway some 750mAh turnigy LiPo seems compatible

The shipped LiPo have a 650mAh capacity, no discharge rate indicated. I found this one a little bit weak.... probably with a low discharge rate value.

and with the LiPo. The total weight reach 160g ... a little bit heavy IMHO even for an hexacopter especially with some 7mm motors

Motor pod

Motor and oil bushings

oil bushing are 2.5mm(ID)x5mm(OD)x2mm(witdth)

Disassembling

As you can see, arms are jailed into a transparent plastic holer. It means in the absolute, you can remove the canopy structure to save close to 20g. If you remove also motor pod canopy, at least 10 extra grams can be saved. The flying duration should increased a lot in such conditions.

Some 5mm metallic boon

Some weight would have been saved with some carbon models

Flight controller

Some small ball are absorbing transmitted motor's vibration

The classic invensense 6050C for the 6-axis stabilization and a XN297 for the RF part. Good news, the emulation of the XN297 by a nRF24L01 is almost complete. We can hope a deviationTX hacking for this quad.

Camera

The lens orientation can be tuned .... a good point

This camera for a toy model is pretty good. High frame rate, sharp and color respected. Unfortunatly, the lens mount is a M5.5 model and as far I know, there is no available widelens for this size.

Transmitter

4xAA batteries are required to feed the TX. The throttle trim is used to turn on/off lights when pressed up or to cycle between the two speed modes when pressed down. The right shoulder button turns on/off the camera recording (no photo mode) while the left shoulder button activâtes the flipping move. To calibrate gyroscope, you have push both sticks in lower left position. It's a very basic radio model, nothing special ....

FIRST USAGE

First thing, the W609 offers video jellofree out of the box even without installing any foam/sponge between camera/batery doors (to absorbe remaining vibrations). Videos are sharp and frame rate constant. The field of view can be better of course but at least, you can tune the lens orientation. Unfortunatly, with the tiny lens mount size, it will be hard to find a compatible wide lens. The quadcopter is already "touchy" in beginner mode and in expert mode, thank to the increased pitch rate, the W609 becomes much more sporty. The yaw rate is normal not slow not fast. I was not impressed by the power lift of this quad. I think the 160g even for six 7mm motors is not so favorable and/or you need to install a LiPo with a better discharge rate. Last con point, the control range also is not great: around 60-80 maximum out of the box. You can install the RX antenna vertically below the top canopy part as well as for the TX part. It should improve the radio control range.

HUAJUN W609 outdoors test (Courtesy Gearbest) (7 min 8 sec)

raw camera sample

W609 raw sample (1 min 48 sec)

CONCLUSIONS

Very stable and jellofree plateform out of the box. Coupled with a really good HDready camera, for less than 60 USD this W609 is one the best camera microcopter in the market. In expert mode, this copter can be very sporty and fast. I really appreciate the LEDs too. I regret the lack of power lift and the none-fantastic range control out of the box.

UNBOXING

HUAJUN W609 Unboxing and quick testing (Courtesy Gearbest) (15 min 24 sec)

PROS

+ Very good flyer, stable for beginner and sporty in 100% mode
+ Nice design
+ Good ground clearance
+ Night flyer
+ Good 720p camera (30fps)
+ Jellofree video plateform
+ Orientable lens
+ Power switch

CONS

- Oil bushings (2.5mmx5mmx2mm)
- [60-80m] of control range out of the box
- No headless mode
- Lack of power lift
- Flight time of 5min with the camera turned on
- Lens mount (M5.5) not comptabile with M7 lens

This quadcopter have been courtesy provided by Gearbest in order to make a fair and not biased review. I would like to thanks them for this attitude.

You can find it actually for 57.7 USD at W609-10
Last edited by SeByDocKy; Jun 11, 2015 at 01:29 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 02, 2015, 04:41 PM
reserved
Old Jun 03, 2015, 01:07 AM
Added raw video sample in #1 and extra details
Old Jul 03, 2015, 06:43 AM
Find More Posts by peter.k
Pedja
good test, as usual, thanks
It is also interesting to the test :
http://www.gearbest.com/rc-quadcopters/pp_193699.html
.... Berometric pressure sensor: This function provides you to set a height for W609 - 8 to hover......low voltage reminding function, smart headless mode, one key return, video recording / picture shooting, berometric pressure sensor ( set high hovering, vertical above or below 0.7m ), 5.8G FPV real-time transmission ( 2.0MP HD camera )
Copter size: 54 x 47 x 21cm
Copter battery: 7.4V 1500mAh lipo battery
Charging time: About 150mins
Flying time: 8 - 10mins
Remote distance: Above 300m ( max. 500m )
Old Jul 03, 2015, 06:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter.k View Post
good test, as usual, thanks
It is also interesting to the test :
http://www.gearbest.com/rc-quadcopters/pp_193699.html
.... Berometric pressure sensor: This function provides you to set a height for W609 - 8 to hover......low voltage reminding function, smart headless mode, one key return, video recording / picture shooting, berometric pressure sensor ( set high hovering, vertical above or below 0.7m ), 5.8G FPV real-time transmission ( 2.0MP HD camera )
Copter size: 54 x 47 x 21cm
Copter battery: 7.4V 1500mAh lipo battery
Charging time: About 150mins
Flying time: 8 - 10mins
Remote distance: Above 300m ( max. 500m )
Hummm ... I am a little bit in doubt when I see associted photos. Seems to be a FPV with a Digital 2.4G system like the H9D, CX-30S.... After the lens of the camera is not wide IMHO. Anyway I can be wrong
Old Jul 06, 2015, 12:35 PM
Find More Posts by seattlebruin
I'm very curious to see if this W609-8 thing is for real. According to the specs, it's got 6x 220mm props and looks like a ~550mm frame size. If it's got rudimentary altitude and position hold and FPV, might be a fun little copter that could carry a GoPro on the cheap

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeByDocKy View Post
Hummm ... I am a little bit in doubt when I see associted photos. Seems to be a FPV with a Digital 2.4G system like the H9D, CX-30S.... After the lens of the camera is not wide IMHO. Anyway I can be wrong
Old Jul 06, 2015, 02:08 PM
Find More Posts by Waterbound
that quad will doubtfully carry a gopro
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hubsan H107D Custom FPV Setup
Old Jul 06, 2015, 03:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterbound View Post
that quad will doubtfully carry a gopro
For sure not or maximum 15s
Old Jul 15, 2015, 09:37 AM
Find More Posts by RemyMartinXIII
SeByDocKy

I am expecting one of these shortly, I am wanting to replace the camera setup with a TX/Camera setup. I have been looking for sometime for this combo but I am just too unsure on which one to buy. I am more concerned I guess with the weight than I am with any thing else. I see that the camera and housing weighs 10.3 (your review is greatly appreciated by-the-way) and that should be my goal. Or no more than 10grams in addition.

The following are links to the ones I am looking at, if you have a setup that you feel may be better. Please post:
http://www.goodluckbuy.com/fpv-fov16...ter-combo.html

http://www.goodluckbuy.com/-fpv-fov1...er-qav250.html

http://www.goodluckbuy.com/700tvl-hd...50qav-fpv.html
Old Jul 15, 2015, 10:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemyMartinXIII View Post
SeByDocKy

I am expecting one of these shortly, I am wanting to replace the camera setup with a TX/Camera setup. I have been looking for sometime for this combo but I am just too unsure on which one to buy. I am more concerned I guess with the weight than I am with any thing else. I see that the camera and housing weighs 10.3 (your review is greatly appreciated by-the-way) and that should be my goal. Or no more than 10grams in addition.

The following are links to the ones I am looking at, if you have a setup that you feel may be better. Please post:
http://www.goodluckbuy.com/fpv-fov16...ter-combo.html

http://www.goodluckbuy.com/-fpv-fov1...er-qav250.html

http://www.goodluckbuy.com/700tvl-hd...50qav-fpv.html
If you can solder a bit, I would advise a lightweight TX5823 or even better a FX758 (https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2456116), a very light cam
http://www.banggood.com/600TVL-8_0MP-14-2_8mm-CMOS-FPV-170-Degree-Wide-Anlge-Lens-Camera-PALNTSC-p-984345.html,a pololy Vreg. and a cheap CL antenna
I will produce a building log video for such combo. The ojvective is to have a cheap and light FPV setup. The total bill shound be around 35USD and scale around 5g.
You can have lighter but more expensive
Old Jul 15, 2015, 10:19 AM
Find More Posts by raduque
Subbed.. I'm curious about that bigger model.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 11:32 AM
Thanks for the quick reply!

5 grams would be GREAT! but at what cost (not that it matters with a toy). I would like to get around a 50 - 70 meters before we start losing signal.

Looking forward to your build log!
Old Jul 15, 2015, 05:07 PM
Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply!

5 grams would be GREAT! but at what cost (not that it matters with a toy). I would like to get around a 50 - 70 meters before we start losing signal.

Looking forward to your build log!
With this 200mW ... you can have 300m of video range without problem
Old Jul 26, 2015, 04:35 PM

Battery drain

I have some older 1S batteries that I had with my SYMA X5. They are 680mah. The battery that came with the W609-10 are 650mah. However, I am unable to get more than 3-6 minutes out of a fully charged battery.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Old Jul 26, 2015, 04:38 PM
Quote:
I have some older 1S batteries that I had with my SYMA X5. They are 680mah. The battery that came with the W609-10 are 650mah. However, I am unable to get more than 3-6 minutes out of a fully charged battery.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Like me... I wrote as con point the relatively poor flying duration time