Jun 02, 2015, 08:26 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
I never checked the static thrust.... but it flies great
I'm about 5800 watts per fan I'm 42 lbs loaded

I think it would fly fine off grass, give yourself some room....
maybe 400 -500 feet for take off

mine looked like in landed in about 500 ft.

Thing looks so cool trucking around the sky

I glued on my wheels also with black rvt silicon.....they shot off on the first flight and I don't want a repeat.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 02, 2015, 09:17 PM
Dont forget the velcro straps
ron..getting close to flying again?
Jun 02, 2015, 10:48 PM
Thread OP
Wow, I would not have guessed they were glued. I need to go back and recheck those. Yeah, it really did look pretty cool. Have you had a chance to fly it again? Sad to say I still have not been flying this season..weather, work, misc BS, things just haven't lined up

I used Dow 3145, which is the best RTV I've ever used. It's used to seal wing Nav light lens on our model's big brothers. It actually holds up better to leading edge erosion than PRC sealants, which is saying something.
I use it for all sorts of stuff....securing air lines, wire runs, servo leads, ect, just a tiny dab on anything that might chaff, or needs to be secured. Really good stuff.

I'll go back and check how its holds on the foam tires

If you are ever bored, just hanging out with nothing to do, and you want to check static thrust, I would love use what yours is making as a goal

http://www.dowcorning.com/applicatio...t.aspx?R=146EN
Jun 02, 2015, 10:51 PM
we use 3145 at work too..... foes hold well....
Jun 02, 2015, 10:55 PM
Thread OP
Yeah, gotta love the price of those "expired" tubes
Jun 02, 2015, 11:02 PM
Had to glue the tires in to my YA F-15 as well.... I just used thick CA and no problem. To save weight you can buy Sullivan Skylites and cut out the rum and glue the tire in to the YA rims, they work great and are in my A4 and my F-15
Jun 02, 2015, 11:16 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Wish the skylights would fit
They are to narrow for the big f-18... I tried a set

I thought about cuting them in half and adding another section from another but wasn't sure it would hold up well
Jun 02, 2015, 11:36 PM
That sucks, they just fit on my Skymaster F-18 SuperHornet, they are about the same size but the Yellow is a bigger scale being its the C model.... I'm sure someone has a tire the right size that could be modified, I would even look thru what Dubro offers....
Jun 03, 2015, 09:13 AM
Pursuit of Happiness
Quote:
ron..getting close to flying again?
I was planning to fly it last weekend but the winds came up, so I stayed home and tried to catch up on my builds. I have three foamies I need to knock out then I can finally start my BVM F-86.

I have to say now that I fly and build 5 days a week at work it does make it a bit harder to get motivated on the weekend... so I have to push myself I don't want to loose interest. I have learned so much more about build it's pretty cool, stuff I will use in my own builds for sure.
Jun 04, 2015, 07:55 PM
Thread OP
Little more progress. Need to add another section or two going aft to get flow nice and straight into the fan, but unsure best way to mount, or should I say, fit fan into position once inlet is glued in place.

With spinner and motor installed, can only extend inlet aft about an inch, and still be able to sneak fan in place. Thinking of installing it from behind the rear former, and maybe using a TF4000/8000 type mounting right to the backside of the bulkhead.

Wondering how this mounting system would work on the Jet Fan's plastic housing??
Jun 05, 2015, 10:55 AM
Pursuit of Happiness
I mounted my fan on rails I made on the rear former... I made them long enough so put the fan place push it back. Slide in duct then push fan forward

that worked out great

here is that post in my thread

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=1690
Jun 05, 2015, 11:40 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Ron
Was just thinking one less piece of wood, is that much lighter There's a lot of heavy wood in these Yellow planes!

Would like to keep duct one piece, which is going to make it hard to get fan into position if I extend it aft. Think I might just make it another 4 inches straight back, do some testing, and cut it to fit later.
At least can get an idea how a JF120 will do in this setup
Jun 05, 2015, 11:51 PM
i had to do my f15 ducts in 2 pieces. otherwise its impossible to get it all in
Aug 31, 2015, 06:24 PM
Thread OP
Did a little work on the Hornet. First I put the new springs in the mains so its not bouncing around every time I touch it. Had really heavy springs in the struts for turbine power, and they made the plane unstable with no weight in it....much better now

I set the plane aside a while back as I wanted to think about modding the fuse a little. The area where the inlet is extended up, and behind the splitter makes it really tough to make a nice smooth inlet duct.

The bigger reason I'm thinking of doing this, is the area aft of the inlet. If I pull the inlet up to meet the fuse in straight line from the front of the inlet to the front spar, I gain a good amount of room inside, and can get a much smoother transition from front of inlet, up and over the retracts.

I cut the left side to try it, and unless you're looking for it, it's really not very noticeable. With wings on, sitting at the field, I doubt anyone would notice. An added bonus is it increases the inlet area a decent amount. The JF120s are going to need all the air they can get to push this beast around
Last edited by 70 ragtop; Aug 31, 2015 at 08:36 PM.
Sep 01, 2015, 08:57 AM
Certified Eagle and Bug Driver
Glad to see you working on it again Mike. Man I loved that bug the first time I walked into your workshop. Please, please let me know when the flight is going to take place. I'd really like to be there for logistical support and to help calm your nerves and all but really would like to see this bug fly.

Jim

Quick Reply