Yellow Aircraft F-18 Twin update/conversion - RC Groups
Jun 01, 2015, 10:26 PM
Build Log

Yellow Aircraft F-18 Twin update/conversion

Was lucky enough to pick up a really early F-18 twin a couple months back. Plane was complete, minus the main landing gear. Was able to find a pair of used mains, so it now stands on its own.

This was YA's owners plane, and had at least one flight on it, as it had the last flight's trim correction sheet from Fio stuffed inside. After I pulled the fans and exhaust ducts out, I'm guessing they were really light on the sticks They must have been using this one to try different things out

Plan is to update the plane for EDF, and see where it ends up weight wise.
*New wood spars, with more meat over inlets
*New inlets, smoother transition to fan while lowering top of inlet under fwd spar
*Update larger spars in wings/CF reinforced skins around spars
*Update stabs
*Generally go thru it and update

Another "no rush" project, but with all the JF120/Dynamax talk on Tumblers F-100 thread, decided to try out new ducts for a JF120, and see how the inlet vs bellmouth compares. See how static vs "dynamic" air into the small inlet compares. What effect the long thrust tube will have, and try different exhaust openings from stock, up to 106mm. If no good, try same thing with a converted Dynamax

I'm curious to see how it does...should be fun
Last edited by 70 ragtop; Feb 25, 2016 at 01:11 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 01, 2015, 11:32 PM
its TALON TIME!
niiiice!!
Jun 02, 2015, 12:02 AM
deltas are cool
that ought to work as well as C/N's F-15
Jun 02, 2015, 12:23 AM
Thanks
I would be pretty psyched if that were the case

Heavy gear, small inlets, small outlets....I don't know

Given the shortcomings, EVFs would likely be a pretty good fit, but need a winning lotto ticket to go that route

Going to be fun finding out
Jun 02, 2015, 01:12 AM
Well Ron's had no problem getting enough air.... They originally flew on twin glow dynamaxs so any of the fans you mentioned will work.....
Jun 02, 2015, 01:25 AM
its TALON TIME!
you could easily cut the turket feathers to open them up...and give it the AB look. that solves the exhaust size pretty easily. inlets look plenty big enough
Jun 02, 2015, 01:55 AM
Ron's certainly flew just fine

Turkey feathers will be easy, there's a big taper at the very back.

I was just eyeing the area at the top of the inlet....sure could make a much nicer inlet if I tweaked that area...just a little

Not going to do anything like that just yet. Need to add a little more foam on the bottom to keep the cross section, and taper that sharp edge out
Jun 02, 2015, 08:35 AM
its TALON TIME!
dude..leading edge flaps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jun 02, 2015, 08:40 AM
Yup
Jun 02, 2015, 10:02 AM
Pursuit of Happiness
Nice find!!!
you will love the way it flies

PM anytime if you have any questions or I can give you my number.

Your a master builder so you know what your doing I read through your plan and it's a good one

Nice thing about your JF120's is you will have a bit more room, things are VERY tight with the 128mm Dynamax, I made it work but it took getting the landing gear mounts as low at they would go with the wheels touching the gear doors.... so it was tight in there

looking forward to watching!!

I'm sure you know but the foam main tires are garbage they will flat spot just sitting at the feild and wear out really fast. Talk to thomas (invertmast) he make tires for this plane (rubber) or some guys use BVM phantom wheels and brakes which takes a mod to do
Jun 02, 2015, 10:06 AM
Pursuit of Happiness
boy they really hacked up the rear main former
Whats with the push rod down the middle of the plane? one sevo for the stabs? or speed brake? I would rip out the both those main formers and start fresh there at least
Jun 02, 2015, 12:54 PM
Thanks Ron! I'll have questions...I'm sure
Don't know about being a "master builder" but I do enjoy these glass and foam planes

Old style stabs, single rod thru both sides with a single servo located between the inlets...and yup, all that and the wood is coming out.
As far a rear former, I was really surprised to see that. Giving them the benefit, thinking they must have been adding on, or trying new things as they developed the kit, and that just ended up all cobbled together.
The actual fuse does not have the area around the gear molded in, its a separate piece that's glued/glassed on, as were the early 1st gen kits. Maybe they kept reworking that area as they went??

Yeah, the foam tires are tough. I was doing taxi test on the P-38, after I had already gone thru gear and tightened it all up. After those videos in the backyard, which was rough, gear had all kinds of slop as the scissors spread at the joints. Right when that video ended, I had to stop because the nose tire rolled off the rim. Ended up going thru the gear again, changing all the hardware to nuts and bolts and adding bushings. Also changed grease on brakes, and RTV'd the tires to wheels. Of coarse, right after I glued them on with RTV, I read that canopy glue works really well, and is still removable?? Oh well, not worried about them coming off now

I only have grass field option, and yours seams to have a lot more power than the JF's will have. Thinking larger is better on grass (big tires)
What are you making for static thrust?
How do you think your would do off grass?