Sep 06, 2020, 01:32 PM
FlyLikeAnEagle-LandLikeADove
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoAround
That is a very good point! With all weight I was adding and using a big 4S to balance, I neither noticed or thought about that. Most important for the stock plane (which, like you say, doesn't need it anyway)
If I remember correctly, when I cut out the 3mil laminate to cover the top and bottom of the wing it weighed almost half as much as the bare foam itself and, as I mentioned, 2/3 of the weight is behind the CG. While it adds a lot of strength, it adds weight and worse 850 mah 3S lipo.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 06, 2020, 05:38 PM
Can't fly 3D for toffee ...
It is fortunate that this wing is so good at handling extra weight!
Sep 06, 2020, 08:11 PM
FlyLikeAnEagle-LandLikeADove
This wing is good at everything. It can fly light or heavy, quite fast, and amazingly slowly, has a fantastic glide, can turn on a dime, has a gentle stall, tracks like it is on rails, makes a great FPV platform forsmall fields, and is very rugged. It is a superb aircraft for having a lot of fun in a small space.
Nov 23, 2020, 04:24 PM
Just picked up the zorror and the rapier. Which one should I build first? Any of you guys have the rapier? Thinking about the zeta also.
Dec 13, 2020, 12:02 PM
Ready for maidens. Twisted Hobby Zorror & Hacker Rapier.
Feb 23, 2021, 05:26 AM
I have just bought a Matek F405 Wing flight controller and BN-880 combined compass and GPS unit. Never used a wing FC before and have just limited experience of betaflight in a few quads.

Anyway, I thought it would be fun to put an FC in an aircraft, using iNav for RTH and auto-launch as well as some in flight stabilisation. If I can find space for it, it will go in (on?) the Zorro as it seems an ideal platform. Mine is 4S, quad motor, FPV, covered in clear laminate and carries an 1800mAh 4S lipo so a few more grams can't hurt!

I'm behind on a number of RC projects but will try and get this ready for a maiden by the end of March which is when we start a slow release from lockdown.
Feb 23, 2021, 08:52 AM
Sil
Sil
Quote:
I have just bought a Matek F405 Wing flight controller and BN-880 combined compass and GPS unit. Never used a wing FC before and have just limited experience of betaflight in a few quads.

Anyway, I thought it would be fun to put an FC in an aircraft, using iNav for RTH and auto-launch as well as some in flight stabilisation. If I can find space for it, it will go in (on?) the Zorro as it seems an ideal platform. Mine is 4S, quad motor, FPV, covered in clear laminate and carries an 1800mAh 4S lipo so a few more grams can't hurt!

I'm behind on a number of RC projects but will try and get this ready for a maiden by the end of March which is when we start a slow release from lockdown.
The Zorro always fly. Its best use is having it light because it is not stiff at all. maybe lamination will help.
I would advice thought to also try half the lipo. Between 800mA and 1000mA. to be abble to compare Lipo/weight.
Feb 23, 2021, 09:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil
The Zorro always fly. Its best use is having it light because it is not stiff at all. maybe lamination will help.
I would advice thought to also try half the lipo. Between 800mA and 1000mA. to be abble to compare Lipo/weight.
It already flies fantastic with lamination and a hot set up. The only thing I'm talking about adding is the FC/GPS. It's currently twice the AUW that's on the box and flies so well ... a testament to the original design.

The lamination was necessary because, as you say, it's not stiff enough without. I suffered with aileron reversal until I covered it.
Feb 23, 2021, 09:43 AM
Sil
Sil
Quote:
It already flies fantastic with lamination and a hot set up. The only thing I'm talking about adding is the FC/GPS. It's currently twice the AUW that's on the box and flies so well ... a testament to the original design.

The lamination was necessary because, as you say, it's not stiff enough without. I suffered with aileron reversal until I covered it.
OK so just adding a FC will be no problem at all.
Mar 12, 2021, 03:22 PM
Sil
Sil
My last LOS flight:
LOS flight on a Zorro wing (1 min 54 sec)
Mar 15, 2021, 01:31 PM
Quote:

OK, I scrapped that plan as there there really isn't room for my experiment into iNav. I bought an AR Wing to play with flight controllers as it has a large bay. I'll probably leave my FPV gear on the Zorro though as I'd only have to glue back bits of foam and find the CG again if I removed it.
Jul 11, 2021, 08:36 AM
Sil
Sil
Hi!
My Zorro has No stab No FPV. Just a ESC including a 2Amps BEC, and a Cross fire Micro RX V2
I use it mainly LOS with a Insta360Go inside, but I mightuse a combo cam+micro VTX

I would like to add the following feature :
* Voltage Telemetry
* 5 Amps BEC for powering the miro VTX properly

Is there a way to use an ESC wich could provide some telemetry to the Crossfire ?
Does any one know a small ESC with 5Amps BEC ?
Or maybe just a really small FC including a 5Amps BEC?

Cheers
Jul 12, 2021, 07:18 AM
Why not use the f411wse fc or the new f405wse. They are much smaller form factor and lighter to still be able to do inav. Id go with the f411 wse

Quote:
OK, I scrapped that plan as there there really isn't room for my experiment into iNav. I bought an AR Wing to play with flight controllers as it has a large bay. I'll probably leave my FPV gear on the Zorro though as I'd only have to glue back bits of foam and find the CG again if I removed it.
Jul 12, 2021, 07:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaheed40
Why not use the f411wse fc or the new f405wse. They are much smaller form factor and lighter to still be able to do inav. Id go with the f411 wse
I might still do that but, as I already bought the bigger FC and AR wing, I need to get that airborne first. Unfortunately, the project has stalled for no good reason. I just sort of forgot to carry on! I think I need to install the GPS antenna, FPV equipment and LEDs and set it all up on the PC.

When that is flying and if I enjoy it, I might get a small controller for the Zorro. Or I might just leave alone as it flies really well in its current form (2205 2300kv quad motor, 5" 3 blade quad prop, 1800mAh 4S lipo, film covered wings and basic FPV gear powered from the balance lead)
Aug 01, 2021, 11:42 AM
Sil
Sil
I upgraded the zorro with a Kiss 32bit ESC, and a TBS Unify EVO.
But I still fly LOS half of the time:
Zorro LOS (0 min 51 sec)

Quick Reply