This thread is privately moderated by DWA, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 04, 2015, 06:33 PM
DWA
DWA
1Corinthians 13:1-8
Thread OP
P3

If you are having video lag problems with the P3.

Try putting it in manual transmission mode and set it to a clean channel and turn down the transfer rate to 6mbs
to remove ads between posts
Jun 04, 2015, 10:17 PM
DWA
DWA
Thread OP
Phantom2

Q:
I just tried to update the TX firmware on the RC assistant and I bricked my TX !
It did all the update ... and asked to reboot the device, i did and no led turn on anymore... and it recognize as " unknown device"

A:
The driver is the standard dji driver. I would try a few things. Remove the batteries from the Tx, remove the dji driver and reboot the computer. After that reinstall the batteries and connect to the pc, then run the dji driver installer.
If windows is not loading the usb to serial device you wont be able to load the firmware. An unknown device under device manager is just that, unknown. If windows doesn't know how to communicate with the device the assistant will not either.
also
A similar thing happened to me when updating firmware. It was going and then failed, asked me to power cycle which i did but then no red led on the TX. I pluged it in anyway, started the assistant software and tried to rerun firmware update and it worked the 2nd time.

Try plugging it in and update firmware anyway.
Jun 05, 2015, 05:24 PM
DWA
DWA
Thread OP
P2 P3

Regarding issues with devices and firmware releases.

If you see an odd behavior that others don't, all you can do is to try to isolate the issue. Back up the device, factory reset, only load the DJI app and see if it works. If it does, then you have to decide what you want to do, restore from backup and see if the problem is gone, if the problem returns with the restore, it's some app/config issue with your setup and will have to be methodically tracked down, no fun.

close all apps except the DJI app when flying
Jun 05, 2015, 05:41 PM
DWA
DWA
Thread OP
P2

Q;
Phantom 2 Vision Plus gimbal problematic.

A:
Update the camera firmware if you haven't. Download the update from DJI and read the text file. It explains how to use a empty SD memory card and to put the . Bin file on it and change the name. Then when you start up the quad it will auto update the firmware. When you update one you need to check and update all and that includes the DJI app also. Also check the three connectors plugged into the gimbal, and make sure they are plugged in tight.
Jun 06, 2015, 12:12 AM
DWA
DWA
Thread OP
P3
Phantom 3 Professional User Manual v1.2
In the Pilot App, on the start up Home screen, click the Help button in the top right of the screen.

Next to the Flight Simulator are each of the document files, Safety Guidelines, Battery Safety, In the Box, User Manual, and Quick Start Guide.

Clicking any of those items gives you a prompt asking if you'd like to download any of those files to your tablet, after which they are always there for handy reference.
Jun 06, 2015, 12:19 AM
DWA
DWA
Thread OP
P3

Q:
Each time I turn it on, it stays warming up for few minutes. It wasn't happening with the previous FW...
A:
Do an IMU calibration with a cool bird. It will shorten warm up time.
Jun 07, 2015, 02:31 PM
DWA
DWA
Thread OP
UV filter removal on P3

My advise is-resist the temptation of trying to unscrew the UV filter!! IF, you're not getting ND filters, or they haven't arrive yet-leave it alone.

Some come off easily when You just gripp the area around the lens only. I think that the material is so thin that if you grip around the threads you actually lock them. Some do not come off easy and you could break it.

Agree, that's why the early suggestion to apply some double-sided tape to the circumference was very clever. It lets you apply more force circumferentially without squeezing very hard. Hose clamp applied gently would do the same thing. In my case, just persistent gentle twisting by hand while holding the camera body steady did the trick. Had to reduce squeezing to avoid the exact problem you cite.
Jun 09, 2015, 01:31 PM
DWA
DWA
Thread OP
Q:
In regards to my Phantom V2 Plus, with firmware 3.12 and the latest Assistant software. I was out about 2000 feet (at an altitude of 120 feet) when I switched over to Home-Lock in order to pull back on the right-stick on the TX to return to my Home-Point. Watched the video feed I could tell I was heading in the correct direction to my Home-Point. At about 1500 feet distance, I decided to stop and turn the PV2+ 180 degrees so I could see the Home-Point in the video feed. When I pulled back on the right-stick, the PV2+ started going away from the Home Point. (The S2 switch was still in the Home-Lock position). The bird was totally confused. This is the 2nd time this has happened to me. When I got about 900 feet away the Home-Lock feature started working like it should. Home-Lock was set correctly before I took off and I had at least 9 satellites. Seems like this started happening with the latest 3.12 Firmware update. Has anyone else experienced this?

A:
I have seen this, it seems like if there is a momentary signal loss, that HL will sometimes kick off and then the model will head off in another direction depending on its heading. If you still have video it's critical to keep landmarks visible to fly home to or validate where it's heading.
Jun 09, 2015, 01:49 PM
DWA
DWA
Thread OP
P2V+

If you are getting calls while flying.

Turn airplane mode on thats automatically turns off wi-fi but just turn wifi back on.
No more calls while your flying and you still have wifi to connect to your Phantom 2V+
Jun 09, 2015, 02:01 PM
DWA
DWA
Thread OP
The new P2V+

Throttle locks in full down position. This is how you shut down motors now. Not both sticks down and inside.

it's not a dual-stick method anymore, it's (ONLY the throttle) it will tell you with that click--or a "sticky" position (most likely) a safety feature that ensures it stays in that position so as not to suddenly throttle up if you let go of the stick suddenly and it "bounces" back up.
starting the rotors with the dual-stick method still works , the throttle down "click" position and three to five seconds later motors spin down and stop. the dual-stick method to power down, will send Phantom tipping and skimming across the ground.
Jun 10, 2015, 02:48 PM
DWA
DWA
Thread OP
P2

The find my Phantom wil only show the last point on the map of where it was when the signal was lost.
Jun 10, 2015, 02:51 PM
DWA
DWA
Thread OP
P1 P2 P3

Primary causes of “Fly Aways”:

Pilot error:

• Pilot did not calibrate the compass prior to launching.
• Firmware is not upgraded.
• IMU has not been calibrated.
• Loss of orientation.

Environmental interference:

• Flying near high tension power lines.
• Taking off from metallic surfaces, concrete with rebar, manhole covers, cars and pickup tailbeds etc..
• Flying near microwave towers and cell phone towers.
• Interference from the copter to the GPS/Compass. This can be from the lipo, video down link or RC link depending on the frequencies.

Hardware failures:

• Compass/GPS failure. Check the Mod readings in Assistant. If the calibration does not bring them into normal range, contact your dealer for replacement.
• IMU failure. Make sure that the IMU/Naza/Phantom controller is mounted with the supplied DJI double stick tape. If not reattach and test. Also check the Mod readings in Assistant. If they will not come into normal range after advanced calibration, contact your dealer for replacement.
• ESC/Motor connections. Make sure that the ESC’s are connected to the flight controller correctly and they motors are connected to the ESC’s. There have been reports of bullet connection failures.

There may be others but this is a list that if you follow the cautions and do the recommendations you should be problem free.
Jun 10, 2015, 09:50 PM
DWA
DWA
Thread OP
I would recommend you first do a basic and then a advanced IMU calibration. Make sure your Phantom is cool before you do the advanced calibration. Also make sure your Phantom is sitting level when you do the IMU calibrations.

After that do a compass calibration. Do not calibrate your compass where there is a chance of strong magnetic interference, be carful of steel reinforcements underground. Do not carry ferromagnetic materials with you during calibration such as keys or cellular phones. Do not calibrate beside massive metal objects, like cars or manholes.

It is best to do your compass calibration in a open grass field.
Jun 10, 2015, 09:50 PM
DWA
DWA
Thread OP
Plug your Phantom into your computer with the Phantom Assistant software.

Click on the Tools Icon

you will see Compass (raw) Mod

read the number under the Mod value.
it should be between 1400 and 1600
Jun 15, 2015, 07:22 PM
DWA
DWA
Thread OP
It is always better to go first with low gains, and raise it until it's stable.
It's better this way, because gains too high can lead to oscillations.
Gains too low it's just the slow to react to your commands.

Quick Reply