This thread is privately moderated by DWA, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 01, 2016, 06:26 PM
DWA
DWA
1Corinthians 13:1-8
Thread OP
DJI Phantom 4 #01 - Unboxing (17 min 19 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Mar 01, 2016, 08:43 PM
DWA
DWA
Thread OP
DJI Phantom 4 - OFFICIAL Overview. Should you buy it? (14 min 51 sec)
Mar 02, 2016, 07:02 PM
DWA
DWA
Thread OP
Good P4 write up.

http://www.visual-aerials.com/phantom4.html
Mar 02, 2016, 07:03 PM
DWA
DWA
Thread OP
P4
This is from DJI's web site.
Beginner Mode

The Phantom 4’s beginner mode limits Beginner flyers to 100ft (30m) up and away. It also prevents camera tilt controls to allow beginner pilots to familiarize themselves with flying before adding more distance and camera control. When beginner mode is switched off, the Phantom 4 will default to a maximum flight altitude of 390ft (120m) above the takeoff point. This can be adjusted to a maximum of 1640ft (500m). You can also set your own maximum distance.

Dave
Mar 02, 2016, 07:04 PM
DWA
DWA
Thread OP
zbip57

I have four batteries, all updated to the most recent firmware, all were set to 3 days self-discharge.

I had all four fully charged, but then couldn't go flying that day. I let everything sit untouched for a week. When I checked them a week later three batteries had discharged to two-solid lights with third LED blinking. But the fourth battery was still 100% fully charged.

I repeated the firmware upgrade to be absolutely certain all four batteries were on the same most recent firmware upgrade. Then I changed the self-discharge setting on each individual battery down to just 1 day. Charged them all up to max capacity and let them sit one week. Again the same three batteries auto-discharged while the fourth battery remained fully charged.

I had never run a battery calibration on any of them. So this time I took that fourth battery (the one that wouldn't self-discharge) and left the Phantom, sitting on the floor in my room (it's winter and cold out, eh), running at idle speed with props on for cooling until it hit critical low battery and shut itself off. Then left the battery sitting until it was cooled before recharging to 100%. That should have re-calibrated it, correct?

Then I let that fully charged fourth battery sit for a week. When I checked it after a week, it had successfully self-discharged itself. Two-solid lights and third light blinking.

Yippee for me! It seems a full discharge and full recharge seems to have corrected the non-self-discharging issue on that fourth battery.
Mar 03, 2016, 03:05 AM
DWA
DWA
Thread OP
P4
A redundant IMU and compass enhances system reliability. The Phantom 4 can constantly compare data received from both IMUs and then navigate itself using the most accurate data. The same is true of the redundant compasses.
Mar 03, 2016, 03:19 AM
DWA
DWA
Thread OP
Pulling stills from video, it can be done in software very easily & with much more precision. VLC has the capability to extract any frame you want from your video at the resolution of the video, which is an 8mp image from 4k.

, however there are some advantages, for example, getting the full resolution 12MP vs 8MP, and getting a RAW image, rather then a JPG from a very highly compressed video stream.

Personally I'd rather do video/photos separately as you should be using very different settings for both, but if you wanted to, taking screen-grabs from the video is less then ideal.
Mar 03, 2016, 01:26 PM
DWA
DWA
Thread OP
Phantom 4 Tutorials - Firmware Upgrade (1 min 40 sec)
Mar 03, 2016, 01:27 PM
DWA
DWA
Thread OP
Firmware upgrade video, no more downloading and unzipping bins to sd card.

More to come on the p4 YouTube support channel

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...L0ZCztUE9JaFK8
Mar 03, 2016, 03:02 PM
DWA
DWA
Thread OP
P3 will work with the P4 only if it's a later model remote.
GL300C is the only one that will work the P4.

The Inspire1 remote will not work with the P4
Mar 04, 2016, 01:06 PM
DWA
DWA
Thread OP
P3

Q:
Can the VPS module be removed without any ill effects? Don't know how much weight it would save or any gain in flight time .

A:
Nope (won't fly)!!! You wouldn't gain 30sec. Turn it off probably saves more flight time.
Mar 04, 2016, 08:41 PM
DWA
DWA
Thread OP
The Phantom only has one way of measuring height. It has a barometric altitude sensor built into it. When you take off from somewhere, it registers the altitude as zero.
Mar 10, 2016, 12:33 PM
DWA
DWA
Thread OP
Here's a link to the HDMI upgrade board: http://store.dji.com/product/phantom...-output-module. It's a painless install; 7 screws and 3 flat flex cables

Works for P3 and P4
Mar 15, 2016, 12:45 PM
DWA
DWA
Thread OP
With the P4 a new CSC procedure has been implemented.

After the FW and controller update the new emergency motor shutdown will be

Left stick down then right into the corner, whilst at the same time pressing the RTH button on the controller.
Mar 15, 2016, 02:37 PM
DWA
DWA
Thread OP
2.Changed procedure for stopping motors during flight. To stop motors during flight, pull the left stick to the bottom inside corner while simultaneously pressing the Smart RTH button. This new procedure will only become available when Remote Controller firmware is updated to the latest version.

Quick Reply