This thread is privately moderated by DWA, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 01, 2015, 06:23 PM
DWA
DWA
1Corinthians 13:1-8
Thread OP
FAQ

Phantom Q&A

I am going to start a blog for a reference point of all the frequently asked questions and problems with the Phantom series quads with the best answers I can find or think of myself.
Most of this will just be a copy and paste from the various forums and threads.
I will not be quoting every post of every question and every answer that I find, that would be too much extra work and this is going to be a lot of work as it is.
So if you see a post that looks familiar, now you know why.

Hopefully it will be helpful for all the Phantom pilots.

Also I will put the question and answer in one post. So users do not have to read a question and then go through all the post in-between the question and the answer.

This blog will have info on the P2 and P3.

I would prefer people do not post in this thread, as I want it to be for reference only, not discussion.
If you have a question about the P2 or the P3 please post those questions in the appropriate threads in the multirotor forum.
Myself or someone else will answer your questions there.
Unless of course you find your answer here, and i hope you do.

DJI Wiki: http://wiki.dji.com/en/index.php/Main_Page

DJI Support: http://www.dji.com/support
Last edited by DWA; May 30, 2016 at 02:19 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 01, 2015, 07:14 PM
DWA
DWA
Thread OP
It is advised that you regularly check the PHANTOM 2’s and PHANTOM 3's product page at www.dji.com which is updated on a regular basis.
Last edited by DWA; Jun 01, 2015 at 11:17 PM.
Jun 01, 2015, 08:03 PM
DWA
DWA
Thread OP
The built-in flight control system is used to control the entire aircraft’s functions in flight such as Pitch (forwards and backwards), Roll (left and right), Elevator (up and down) and Yaw (turn left or right). The flight controller contains the MC (Main Controller), IMU, GPS, compass, receiver.
The IMU (Inertial Measurement Unit) has a built-in inertial sensor and a barometric altimeter that measures both attitude and altitude. The compass reads geomagnetic information which assists the GPS (Global Position System) to accurately calculate the aircrafts position and height in order to lock the aircraft in a stable hover. The receiver is used to communicate with the remote controller and the MC acts as the brains of the complete flight control system connecting and controlling all the modules together.
Jun 01, 2015, 10:28 PM
DWA
DWA
Thread OP
Ideas for cooling down the Phantom to do a advanced IMU calibration.

It you do this freezer thing ,put the Phantom in a large sealed plastic garbage bag and put one or two boxes of Arm and Hammer baking soda in there also. The baking soda is very hydroscopic and will attract the moisture away from the craft. Silica packs work too.

However fridge is better than freezer, do about 20min in the fridge. This is the same as walking outside with the model on a cold winter day. There is no condensation on the model in the fridge or freezer as the model cools.

There is however, condensation on the model when you take it out (volume dictated by your relative humidity) which is why I think 38-40 degrees is plenty cool for a calibration. Freezing might collect a dangerous amount of moisture in my opinion. The small amount of condensed moisture is minimal and evaporates in a few minutes (humidity in my area is 30-50%). I calibrate and then let the model fully warm up and that's all it takes.

Flying in mist/fog is much worse from what I've seen as far as moisture build up.

Generally, if you can cool the sensors down using your A/C (home or car) the IMU calibration is supposed to be better.
Last edited by DWA; Jun 02, 2015 at 03:51 PM.
Jun 01, 2015, 10:41 PM
DWA
DWA
Thread OP
P3

Here's a brief description of the Radar on the P3

The circle represents the area around you. You are in the center of this circle. As the model (represented by the red arrow) flies away from you, it moves away from the center of the radar circle.

The direction of the arrow is the direction of the nose.

The blue shaded area is the horizon, if the model were in a strong crosswind this would be tilted for example.

If you fly the model out in front of you, the arrow should be at the 12 o'clock position. If you rotated your body and directly away from the model, the arrow would now be in the 6 o'clock position indicating that the model is behind you.

So, if you could not see the model, rotate your body (and TX) to keep the arrow at the 12 o'clock position, use the yaw stick to rotate the arrow to point at the center. This will fly the model directly to you.

Keeping an eye in the lower corner for the red arrow, representing the model, is a good thing to learn. With that aid, you can easily navigate the model home if it's farther away and difficult to get good orientation visually.

Note- the green indicator on the front of the arrow represents the direction of the camera's view, this is not very relevant to the P3 but on the Inspire with a fully pivoting camera it's useful to see where the camera is facing in relation to the nose of the model.
Last edited by DWA; Jun 03, 2015 at 01:17 PM.
Jun 01, 2015, 10:48 PM
DWA
DWA
Thread OP
P3

On the P3 there is a 2nd micro SD card for internal log storage, when it fills there is also a scary error that comes up. The memory resets itself with the next power cycle and all is good again.

Next time it happens to me I will remember what the error is and edit this post.
Last edited by DWA; Jun 03, 2015 at 01:18 PM.
Jun 01, 2015, 11:01 PM
DWA
DWA
Thread OP
P2

Question on the P2V+ which part of the Wifi extender should be pointing toward the aircraft? The "top" or the "rear edge"?

Answer:
The flat face or "top" of the extender should always be pointed at the Phantom.

The WiFi Extender is fairly directional, it's face must ALWAYS be pointed at the model. The TX whip must always be vertical, EXCEPT, when high overhead, then tilted to the side a little and the tip NEVER pointed at the model.

The physical extender does the heavy lifting. The Booster App works the other end sending commands to the model's Wi-Fi Module and turns up its power output. This helps the range, up to double some have said. It also has the FPV Camera tab now with 'Wi-Fi Wand" a color coded visual bar between the TX and Model that greatly aids your effort to point the TX right at the model (critical to getting good range). The booster has a "smart" mode that monitors and adjusts the power level as they found that sometimes lower power works better in noisy environments.
Jun 01, 2015, 11:05 PM
DWA
DWA
Thread OP
The purpose of the compass calibration, the compass properly orientates the quad for proper direction.

Quadcopter starts to set orientation to face certain direction. It needs a sensor that gives different readings when it rotates horizontally. This feature is achieved by using magnetometer. Magnetometer is simply an electronic compass, it gives readings in X-Y-Z directions, but what we focus here is the Z-Axis assuming quadcopter is horizontal; some math is required to get the absolution magnetic field direction if quadcopter is not horizontal in case we look for high accuracy. Other sensors provide other functions

So the compass plays a very important roll in keeping the quad orientated in its directiom. if its not correct and the GPS gives the quad a direction to travel and orientation (north) is not correct then you will have a problem.
info on compass calibration

The compass calibration is intended to compensate for metal on the quadcopter. It must be done in an area free of magnetic fields and metal. It can be confirmed to be properly calibrated by checking for minimum toilet bowl effect. Calibration should not be done again unless something is changed on the phantom like adding a gimbal or other metal, a crash, or contact with a strong magnetic field. If you do not see the toilet bowl effect, it does not need calibration. I know a lot of people calibrate at every field. In my opinion these people are just asking for trouble. They have no way of knowing what metal or magnetic fields may be present.

The compass calibration is intended to compensate for metal on your quadcopter. It must be done in an area free of magnetic fields and metal. Calibration should be done anytime something is changed, like adding a gimbal or other metal, a crash, or contact with a strong magnetic field.
Last edited by DWA; Jun 01, 2015 at 11:59 PM.
Jun 01, 2015, 11:12 PM
DWA
DWA
Thread OP
To regain control of the Phantom if fail safe is activated, flip the transmitter switch from GPS to ATTI then back to GPS.
Make sure to calibrate the compass in every new flight location. The compass is very sensitive to electromagnetic interference, which can cause abnormal compass data leading to poor flight performance or even flight failure.

Do not calibrate your compass where there is a chance of strong magnetic interference, be carful of steel reinforcements underground. Do not carry ferromagnetic materials with you during calibration such as keys or cellular phones. Do not calibrate beside massive metal objects, like cars or manholes.

Due to the effects of the shipping process your IMU inside the flight controller will require an advanced IMU calibration through the assistant software.

Due to the effects of the shipping process recalibrate the IMU... So Might Be Something to check if you go on a long drive with your Phantom.
Last edited by DWA; Jun 10, 2015 at 09:39 PM.
Jun 01, 2015, 11:14 PM
DWA
DWA
Thread OP
Not just for Phantoms but good to know for all multirotors.

Some good info about VRS

http://quadcopter101.blogspot.com/20...-of-death.html

and

http://www.decodedscience.com/vortex...er-stall/23857
Jun 01, 2015, 11:15 PM
DWA
DWA
Thread OP
P2
Question: do I need to calibrate in RC assistant and P2 assistant.

Answer: RCAssistant is for firmware updates to the RC as well as calibrations which you found in the Phantom Assistant...

Download both Rc Assistant and P2 Assistant. Also the driver package for mac(If Needed). You will find both Assistant Software Programs on the same page. After downloading the RC Assistant,connect the remote by usb. Turn on the remote. Update if needed,calibrate joysticks. While you are their move the x1 s1and s2 switches through their travel. After that, turn off,then disconnect the remote. Keep it handy. Then connect quad to computer with usb. After that, power up quad(No Propellers) then open P2 Assistant software. Check in the bottom left hand corner to see if two little lights are flickering(Blue one and Green one). That tells you that the quad and program are communicating. Once verified, look under the icon that just reads info. Check for updates to firmware and install them. After that is squared away, calibrate the joysticks, x1, s1, and s2 channels. You will find all of that under the Basic icon, submenu RC. Once complete, place quad on level surface. access the tools icon. You will see basic and advanced IMU calibration. This is critical. With the quad level and stationary perform all IMU calibrations. Ignore the MC Too Hot warning(Unless The Quad Is Warm Due To Use). If quad is not hot just continue with calibration. To verify that the IMU is calibrated drift the cursor over the balloon with a question mark at the top of the calibration menu. It will give you all of the values that you need to verify IMU is calibrated. After that with batteries charged you should be good to fly. Welcome to the skys and enjoy. Word to the wise. Research on you tube anything pertaining to P2s. On The Kitchen Table With Simon Newton is a good source of useful info.

Both calibrations are needed. The RC calibration lets the computer know the mechanical end points of the joystick's. Then tells the quad that info when you calibrate the quad. Calibrate transmiter first. Then quad.

Calibrate in RC assistant and P2 assistant.

RCAssistant is for firmware updates to the RC as well as calibrations which you found in the Phantom Assistant...

Download both Rc Assistant and P2 Assistant. . You will find both Assistant Software Programs on the same page. After downloading the RC Assistant,connect the remote (TX) by usb. Turn on the remote. Update if needed,calibrate joysticks. While you are their move the x1 s1and s2 switches through their travel. After that, turn off,then disconnect the remote. Keep it handy. Then connect quad to computer with usb. After that, power up quad(No Propellers) then open P2 Assistant software. Check in the bottom left hand corner to see if two little lights are flickering(Blue one and Green one). That tells you that the quad and program are communicating. Once verified, look under the icon that just reads info. Check for updates to firmware and install them. After that is squared away, calibrate the joysticks, x1, s1, and s2 channels. You will find all of that under the Basic icon, submenu RC. Once complete, place quad on level surface. access the tools icon. You will see basic and advanced IMU calibration. This is critical. With the quad level and stationary perform all IMU calibrations. Ignore the MC Too Hot warning(Unless The Quad Is Warm Due To Use) if you need to you can put the quad in your refrigerator for30 min or so to cool it down. If quad is not hot just continue with calibration. To verify that the IMU is calibrated drift the cursor over the balloon with a question mark at the top of the calibration menu. It will give you all of the values that you need to verify IMU is calibrated. After that with batteries charged you should be good to go. Make sure you have the right props on the right motors. They only go one way but I have seen one guy crank on a prop on the wrong motor.

Both calibrations are needed. The RC calibration lets the computer know the mechanical end points of the joystick's. Then tells the quad that info when you calibrate the quad. Calibrate transmiter first. Then quad.
Last edited by DWA; Jun 30, 2015 at 05:14 PM.
Jun 01, 2015, 11:16 PM
DWA
DWA
Thread OP
P3 tutorial videos.

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=...sqG8kQ9hifppxp
Jun 01, 2015, 11:25 PM
DWA
DWA
Thread OP
P2

In order to get the P2 batteries with the countdown timer...

You have to be at battery firmware v2.6 but the battery most be at v2.0 to be updateable. There was a brief time when v1.8 batteries could be updated but some bricked in the process so DJI restricted them from the update. Any pack that makes it to v2.6 will have the timer.

v2.6 packs will wait 10 days after the last interaction with the battery, then very slowly, over 2 days, bleed down to about 60% and then go into deep sleep. If you touch the button at anytime before the 10 days is up, the 10 day countdown restarts.
Jun 01, 2015, 11:28 PM
DWA
DWA
Thread OP
P2

Question...
To turn on airplane mode when you get hooked up. That turns off wifi on my iphone and it immediately shuts off the FPV.
Answer...
Turn on airplane mode and then turn on wifi,no phone calls and no data...
Last edited by DWA; Jun 03, 2015 at 01:19 PM.
Jun 01, 2015, 11:32 PM
DWA
DWA
Thread OP
P2

This is how you cache maps with the P2 Vision+

Open the Vision App. Make sure you are connected to your home wifi. Open the camera. Swipe left to open the GS, Ground Station, portion of the App. You will see a map. Enlarge the map until you get to the area you will be flying in. Continue to enlarge and move about the flying area to get the greatest detail. When you get to where you are flying, turn on the Tx and the wifi extender, connect your device to the wifi extender network, open the App. Start you Phantom and wait until you have GPS lock and camera picture. Swipe to the left and the map that you cached should be available to you.

This will work for the phantom four also. But the differences you cannot exit out of the go app you need to leave it open.
The phantom four has a future in one of the menus that will download your maps but it is not working with iOS devices yet .
Last edited by DWA; Mar 18, 2017 at 10:45 AM.

Quick Reply