May 19, 2001, 05:21 PM
Frequent User

Great Planes C-20 ESC failure

Wondering if anyone else has had a mysterious failure of their C-20 ESC's. I had flown my little scratch build flying wing through 2 batteries, and was on my third, when something strange happened. I had throttled back after turning the plane to do a low pass, when all of the sudden the plane went to full throttle . A few seconds later the motor cut out all together and I had no control of the plane. Fortunately the elevons twitched themselves into a nice flat gliding circle and I recovered the plane, no damage (it certainly didn't hurt that the wheat it landed in was waist high ). Opening the plane I discovered that something had shorted out on the ESC, unsoldering the batteries negative lead and one of the MOSFETs. Removing the clear plastic cover (which had melted open anyway), showed a few components had also unsoldered.

I know my battery was plugged in correctly, since I had been flying the plane for almost a minute.

Anyone else out there have this happen?
to remove ads between posts
May 19, 2001, 09:52 PM
AMA 697691 / FAA 13675
My C-20s (2 of them) seem ok.

What was your power system (motor, prop, pack) that you were using with it?

Did you install the schotky diode?
Latest blog entry: Greg's Web Hangar
May 19, 2001, 10:13 PM
Frequent User
First two packs were 7 cell kr600ae's.
The pack on the fateful flight was 7 cells 1100mah NIMH pack from Hobby Lobby. Motor was a Permax 6v Speed 400 direct drive to an APC 5.5x4.5 "electric prop".

I didn't install the diode because I understood from the directions (and an article here on ezone) that it wasn't required.

Thanks for any advice you can give