Thread Tools
Jun 01, 2015, 08:50 AM
Registered User
johngr's Avatar
Thread OP
Discussion

Escapade .61 as a second plane


Hi guys,

I'm thinking of buying a low wing sports plane as a second plane. I like the F1 rocket from Great Planes but it will cost me around 400E including engine and servos. Instead I found a used escapade .61 for 230E including engine(90 FX OS) and servos/receiver battery. I want some advice what I need to check before I buy it? (engine condition, throttle transition from low to high rpm, ball bearings. etc, about the plane from someone that has got it, working servos etc.

thanks in advance
Last edited by johngr; Sep 23, 2015 at 02:02 PM.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jun 01, 2015, 10:48 AM
Registered User
los36's Avatar
Just curious, what was your first plane and how confident are you with it? An escapade has good flight characteristics, but a 60-sized plane with a 90-sized engine in it usually equals a very fast airplane.
Jun 01, 2015, 07:31 PM
RC Addict
rmsingh's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngr
Hi guys,

I'm thinking of buying a low wing sports plane as a second plane. I like the F1 rocket from Great Planes but it will cost me around 400E including engine and servos. Instead I found a used escapade .61 for 230E including engine(90 FX OS) and servos/receiver battery. I want some advice what I need to check before I buy it? (engine condition, throttle transition from low to high rpm, ball bearings. etc, about the plane from someone that has got it, working servos etc.

thanks in advance
Go for it! My 2nd plane was an Escapade 61 with an OS 91 Surpass. A ton of fun and you never get tired of it.
Jun 02, 2015, 09:13 AM
Registered User
johngr's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by los36
Just curious, what was your first plane and how confident are you with it? An escapade has good flight characteristics, but a 60-sized plane with a 90-sized engine in it usually equals a very fast airplane.


I've had an avistar .40 with a .46 engine for 3 years. I still have this airplane. Also I had a low wing kyosho calmato which is not in working order. I had a crash and the wing broke in half.
The avistar is a pretty good airplane but after some time you get used to it and want sth more. I think the f1 rocket is a nice plane and I'm thinking of powering it with a .55 size engine, however the escapade is a good choice because like you said it combines good flight characteristics and with a 4S .60 will be a blast. What should I check before I buy it used? The best would be to trial fly it but that's not possible.
Jun 02, 2015, 09:29 AM
Registered User
johngr's Avatar
Thread OP
...
Last edited by johngr; Jun 03, 2015 at 07:41 AM.
Jun 02, 2015, 10:55 AM
Registered User
los36's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngr
I've had an avistar .40 with a .46 engine for 3 years. I still have this airplane. Also I had a low wing kyosho calmato which is not in working order. I had a crash and the wing broke in half.
The avistar is a pretty good airplane but after some time you get used to it and want sth more. I think the f1 rocket is a nice plane and I'm thinking of powering it with a .55 size engine, however the escapade is a good choice because like you said it combines good flight characteristics and with a 4S .60 will be a blast. What should I check before I buy it used? The best would be to trial fly it but that's not possible.
Sounds like you have plenty of experience. I noticed you said 4S 60. I thought the one you were looking at had a 91FX (2S) in it. Big difference. Under-powered with the 4 stroke 60, over-powered with the 2 stroke 91.
Regarding what to look for:
Obvious major crash damage. Was it put back together straight and strong? Is it much heavier after repair?
Engine condition. Does it turn over smoothly? Is the compression good? Can you see it run?
Control rods. Are the clevises in good condition? Are the control horns securely attached to the surfaces? Do the pushrods move freely in their sleeves (no crazy bends or misaligned servos)?
Hinges. Are the control surfaces firmly attached to the wing/stabilizers? Do they move smoothly through their range?
Wing and stabilizer attachment. Does the plane feel solid? Is there damage or broken wood beneath the covering? Is the tail aligned with the wing (eyeball test - is the plane straight).
Landing gear. Is it firmly attached? Patches of covering around it? Broken wood beneath the covering?
Fuel tank. If accessible, does it look clean and does the clunk move freely?

If you find any of these issues, most can be easily fixed. It would be up to you to decide if you want to do the work / if you can bargain with the seller.
Jun 04, 2015, 07:45 AM
Registered User
My second airplane was a 4 Star 60 I had no troubles going from a trike gear trainer to a tail dragger.
It will surprise you that you may have to fly the plane back to wings level
Jun 04, 2015, 03:59 PM
Traranisaurus TX
I think the Escapade 60 would be a fantastic 2nd plane. I am flying the mid-wing Escapade MX 40 at the moment. It's a very nice plane, but it might be more suited as a 3rd plane.

The 4S and the Goldberg Tiger 2 are also excellent choices. They have helped countless pilots transition to basic low-wing aerobatics. Not even the Escapade can beat these proven designs.

The Big Stiks are also a good choice for a 2nd plane. They are high-wing designs, but are capable of a variety of basic aerobatic maneuvers.
Aug 20, 2015, 07:35 AM
Registered User
johngr's Avatar
Thread OP
Hi guys

Is there a way to iron out the covering on the wing and the fuselage, it has blisters , I had it in the car for a month during summer and the heat created blisters on fuselage and wing.
http://s14.postimg.org/sty0d4oc1/20150820_160759.jpg
any advice is welcome
Last edited by johngr; Aug 22, 2015 at 08:25 AM.
Aug 22, 2015, 11:28 PM
Traranisaurus TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngr
Hi guys

Is there a way to iron out the covering on the wing and the fuselage, it has blisters , I had it in the car for a month during summer and the heat created blisters on fuselage and wing.
http://s14.postimg.org/sty0d4oc1/20150820_160759.jpg
any advice is welcome
Just iron it out with a covering iron. A heat gun might work as well, but I would try the iron first.
Aug 23, 2015, 09:23 PM
Registered User
That will easily reshrink. An iron can be used, and would be my choice around seams.

For open areas I would use a heat gun. You will see the covering sag as it approaches shrinking temp, then start to pull tight. Don't heat it more than needed, especially around seams, as the covering can pull away.

Keep the heat gun or iron moving.

When you are done, check to make sure things are still flat and true.

If you have found you have pulled a warp in a wing or whatever, gently twist it back to straight, plus a little more. Holding it there you will see areas where the covering is looser. Shrink those areas , give it a second to cool- and check to see that you have removed the warp/twist.
Aug 24, 2015, 09:53 AM
Illegitimi non carborundum
grosbeak's Avatar
The Escapade .61 was on my short list of second planes. I went with the Pulse 125, but the Escapade would have been an equally good choice.
Sep 13, 2015, 01:01 PM
Registered User
johngr's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffinTD
That will easily reshrink. An iron can be used, and would be my choice around seams.

For open areas I would use a heat gun. You will see the covering sag as it approaches shrinking temp, then start to pull tight. Don't heat it more than needed, especially around seams, as the covering can pull away.

Keep the heat gun or iron moving.

When you are done, check to make sure things are still flat and true.

If you have found you have pulled a warp in a wing or whatever, gently twist it back to straight, plus a little more. Holding it there you will see areas where the covering is looser. Shrink those areas , give it a second to cool- and check to see that you have removed the warp/twist.

I used a covering iron and the covering is now smooth. thanx
Sep 13, 2015, 01:01 PM
Registered User
johngr's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by N410DC
Just iron it out with a covering iron. A heat gun might work as well, but I would try the iron first.

thanx for the advice
Sep 13, 2015, 01:27 PM
Registered User
johngr's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by N410DC
I think the Escapade 60 would be a fantastic 2nd plane. I am flying the mid-wing Escapade MX 40 at the moment. It's a very nice plane, but it might be more suited as a 3rd plane.

The 4S and the Goldberg Tiger 2 are also excellent choices. They have helped countless pilots transition to basic low-wing aerobatics. Not even the Escapade can beat these proven designs.

The Big Stiks are also a good choice for a 2nd plane. They are high-wing designs, but are capable of a variety of basic aerobatic maneuvers.
Hi,
the escapade 60 had a major crash and had wings break in half. I decided to purchase a new one as it would cost less than to repair it .I got it for 150E

From yesterday I am an owner of an escapade MX "52 .I've heard good reviews about it. I was in a dilemma either the escapade mx or the f1 rocket evo but the escapade had good looks and better design in my opinion.

I want to have more thrust for vertical climb so I'm gonna use a 4s engine (70) and a 13x6 or 13x8 prop may be I'll get it from ebay.

http://s3.postimg.org/x6fr9gb8z/20150913_190711.jpg
Last edited by johngr; Sep 23, 2015 at 01:48 PM.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question Escapade 61 ARF and Evolution 61NX as a second plane trbst Fuel Plane Talk 3 Apr 03, 2014 05:08 PM