This thread is privately moderated by mfwilliams, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 01, 2015, 01:52 AM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Thread OP
Discussion

2015 Hood River-Day 2

I would usually start our NW trip Day 1, Day 2, etc. I’m just going to start it with Day 2.
Day 1 was a complete washout for me. I left my transmitter case at the rental counter in Portland. I realized at Hood River where I’d left it. So after driving over an hour to Hood, I turned around and went back, for another hour drive back to Portland. Unfortunately, PDX lost and found closes at 4PM on Saturday and does not reopen until Monday morning (!!??). Luckily for me an airport policeman, took pity, and reopened the office and allowed me to retrieve my case. I turned around and drove another hour back to Hood.
In the meantime the rest of the crew, Ben, Andrew, Amadeo, and DJ hit the slope at The Dalles. They were able to get some good trim flights in and take in the scenery.
Day 2 was not great. Winds were barely over 5mph. This was a rarity for this time of year. That’s why we come out here in late May/Early June. The windsurfer reports showed the highest wind at the East side of the Dalles. So we ended up at the Dalles site. I flew my light XR combat wing, but could barely stay up in the air. DJ then whipped out his Rifle 1M and treated us to some high speed passes.
DJ almost toasted his Rifle on landing, but got very lucky with just a small ding on the fuse. We decided to try out Klickitat. At Klickitat, the air was the same condition. But after a while the “wonder winds” drifted in at about 4PM and suddenly lift was all over. We threw out several planes and had some great flying. Just as suddenly the lift died out and we decided to pack it in.
We returned to The Dalles, since the online wind reports looked promising. Unfortunately, The Dallas had a wind coming from the back side. Then rain started to move in. We saw the writing on the wall and stopped for the day.
We ended up at the the Pfriem family Brewery for dinner and then called it a night.
Mike W
to remove ads between posts
Jun 01, 2015, 12:43 PM
Jun 09, 2015, 11:15 PM
The Dalles, EFX Racer 2015 (2 min 54 sec)

Quick Reply