This thread is privately moderated by Rob Knox, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 31, 2015, 04:46 AM
Captain Coolite
Thread OP
Discussion

Custom P40 Flown for War Hero's Daughter

Today, I had the honour of showing off my model P40E to the daughter of the man who flew the full sized aircraft back in 1942.

How did it come about?

Last year, September, a friend of mine had the misfortune to crash his FMS P40E.
Knowing that I am a bit of guru with repairing crashed foamies, he gave the model to me to fix and to keep.

The repairs didn't take me too long, and I flew it serviceable within a day of starting the repairs. I flew it a few times, then tried to sell it, without success.
SO, it hung from my ceiling for about 6 months gathering dust while I procrastinated over what to do with it.

A short while ago, I learned the story of Squadron Leader John Jackson of RAAF 75 SQN in 1942. John and his pilots were the only fighter squadron standing between The Japanese and Port Moresby between late March and early May 1942. (see 44 Days
44 Days: 75 Squadron's Defence of Port Moresby 1942 (Part 1) (17 min 26 sec)
)

I have also read the Book by John's two children, Patricia and Arthur, which is his diary and his letters home to his beloved wife Betty. A truly fascinating read.

http://www.3squadron.org.au/subpages/jackson2.htm

As a result, I chose to customise my model after John's last fighter, A29-8.

Naturally, my detail info came from the internet, old B&W photos and photos of a plastic model of his aircraft.

Once I had completed the model, I posted photos here on RC Groups, Face Book, and onto the 75 SQN Association web site.

On Saturday, I was presenting at a model expo at Wynnum in Brisbane for Chad of Xtreme Hobbies with my elder brother John. After a long day in the sun, John and I arrived back at his place ready for a well deserved beer. I opened my email on the iPad to check it, and found an email from both Arthur Jackson and his sister Patricia.

Long story short, Arthur is in country NSW, while Patricia is here in Brisbane, so I arranged for Patricia to come to the Tingalpa Model Aero Club, TMAC, to see the model of her Dad's plane fly.

I was pretty excited, and my brother and I phoned a couple of people who we thought should also be there. Brian Fooks, a former fast jet pilot in 75 SQN from the 60's and 70's and Jack Lynch, MBE, a fast jet pilot from around the same period as Brian.

We arrived at the club at about 7 am and gave the model a good shake down flight before our guest of honour arrived.

At about 915am, Patricia Jackson arrived at the club field and we met, introductions to all others were made, and my brother flew the model for her.

Patricia was ever so pleased to see her Dad's plane fly. She stayed for a good two hours and chatted with us all, and then watched as I flew the model, then my brother flew his big model Zero for her as well.

The little girl who lost her Father to the war when she was only 3, finally got to see him fly....In Spirit, some 73 years later.

My thanks to all the pilots at TMAC today who gave us a 10 minute window today so we could fly John Jackson's plane alone in the circuit this morning.

Here are the pics of the morning.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply