Cc3d setup - RC Groups

Benton County R/C Aerodrome (Adair Village, Oregon, United States)

May 28, 2015, 10:23 PM
Help!

Cc3d setup

Levi, I think you know the cc3d software but anyone else might help. I can't get past the ESC calibration where you check the three boxes that the props are off, etc. the esc's chirp a pattern, then it goes through another softer, higher pitch chirping. If I let it go it runs through the cycle again. If I press stop, it goes back into the high pitch,soft chirp that doesn't stop if I go to next and check the motor starts. They won't start. The few times I've manages to get past this the rascal won't arm. Any suggestions?
to remove ads between posts
May 29, 2015, 12:56 PM
Hi Dave, I'm not sure about the steps the wizard uses, but I can tell you the steps to manually calibrate the ESC's using OpenPilot GCS.
  1. Remove props and unplug battery from quad.
  2. Go to Output page on OpenPilot GCS.
  3. Click the 'live testing' or 'test output' button on bottom, I forget what it's called.
  4. Put a checkbox in the 'Link' box for all your motors, so the sliders move together.
  5. Move the sliders for all 4 motors to their maximum value.
  6. Plug in the battery, all ESC's should chirp but shouldn't move.
  7. Hit the 'Home' key on your keyboard, which should simultaneously move all motor sliders to zero. (I think they chirp again?)
  8. Now drag the sliders up until the motors begin to move, which should happen close to simultaneously. Then back the sliders down just until they all stop. Doesn't have to be super precise, just make sure they all stop.
  9. Make sure you hit the 'save' button on the bottom.

As I understand it, those steps will program the ESC's to accept max and min values, and stores a motor start value on the CC3D.

Hopefully that will help but if you're still having problems with it we should get together sometime for a tuning session. I have openpilot gcs on my laptop so it's pretty easy to plug in the quads and compare settings.

I'm pretty curious what rates the rest of you run, and I'm happy to share my settings for anyone who wants them.
Jun 11, 2015, 11:40 AM
Thanks Levi, I'll give that process a try. Your suggestion about getting together for a tuning session is right on. I bring my computer now when I fly the 250. I've been busy with a new fixed wing build but I'm done so back to focus on the quads. Need stick time, im a real novice!
Sep 03, 2015, 05:58 PM

QAV250, CC3D, GCS all OK, motors won't run

Building a QAV250, all basic components from Lumenier kit. ESCs, motors, CC3D, and receiver installed. Seems to go all the way through the GCS setup wizard without a hitch, including output calibration, motors run fine. GCS voice says it's armed. But motors won't run when throttled up, one or two of the motors only twitch. I've run through the wizard again three times, including the radio set up. Hopefully I'm making a simple mistake somewhere. Any ideas? Thanks! Robin.
Sep 03, 2015, 06:45 PM
Are you trying to spin the motors from inside GCS, or using the controller, or both? Using the GCS is nice because it takes the radio out of the equation and means one less place things can go wrong.

I would check to make sure you have the motors plugged into the right ports on the CC3D. It's possible you have them on pins 3,4,5,6 instead of 1,2,3,4, which might explain why 2 respond (poorly) and the other 2 don't respond at all.

Is it possible you have the plugs from the motor connected to the CC3D on upside down? This seems unlikely, but would also explain why they won't budge.

When you plug in the battery, do the esc's chirp and make musical tones?
Sep 03, 2015, 09:32 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. I checked the motor wires at the CC3D, they are in 1,2,3,4 with black (neg) on the outside, red (pos) in the middle, and white (signal) on the inside toward the middle of the controller. The motors won't spin with the radio, only twitch, doesn't seem to be any logic in which of 1 or 2 (sometimes #3) will twitch on any attempt, varies. Motors will run from the GCS, radio off. I tried your suggestion for Dave for manually calibrating the ESCs with the GCS. Each motor would run independently up to about halfway along the slider and then stop. Next time I tried it, only #s 1 and 2 would run, still stopping at halfway. If all the motors were linked, only #s 1 and 2 would run; #2 stops 1/4 way along the slider, #1 stops at halfway on the slider, #3 and #4 didn't move at all. Clear as mud right? Thanks, RB
Sep 20, 2015, 01:51 PM
Post...Edit...Post...Edit ....
I had a similar issue(I think) in which only one motor would spin up #4. I tried your idea Levi but still only #4 spun up. I have calibrated all of the esc seperatly by connecting each to the recieved going full throttle the. Plugging in the battery etc. all of the motors spin up. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Sep 20, 2015, 07:41 PM
Here's what solved my problem, originally posted under "250s, QAV and others" thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanager
OK, finally found out what was wrong. In the GCS vehicle configuration I had set the ESC type to "rapid", assuming the Lumenier Simon-K flashed ESCs that came with the Getfpv QAV250 kit were that type (also all YouTube tutorials indicated "rapid" was the correct choice for the kit ESCs). Since we tried just about everything else, I decided to change the setting to standard ESCs s, just to see what would happen. Now all motors seem to be running fine and responding appropriately to control inputs. LeviW and LucWB, thanks very much for your help!
Sep 20, 2015, 08:17 PM
I just tried that myself tested all three options but no cigar. I'm putting an extra KK board on now just to see...
Sep 21, 2015, 09:41 AM
The KK works just fine...I might put the KK in and reserve the CC3D for another project
Feb 26, 2016, 06:59 PM

Calibrating esc

Can anyone help me im trying to calibrate my esc and when I come to the screen to do it where I check the boxes I click start and I dobt hear any chirping or anything then I go to test my motors and still nothing
Feb 27, 2016, 08:44 PM
i would help you but i only use naze32
Feb 27, 2016, 11:32 PM
Can you describe what you're doing a little better, maybe include a screen shot?

When someone says they are trying to calibrate their esc's they usually mean they want to set the min and max values the esc expects to see. On most esc's you can do that by holding the throttle all the way up when you plug in the quad, wait a few seconds while they chirp, then pull throttle all the way down. They should chirp again.

The other way 'calibrate' esc's is to set the min and max values on the flight controller side, which varies depending on what software you're using. That's where the screenshot comes in.

Anyway, maybe that'll help, or if not try to describe what you're doing as well as you can.