Sep 17, 2019, 12:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donaldsneffe
Still cannot understand the hype.
One of the best marketing gags probably...

Walter
Why would you say that?
to remove ads between posts
Sep 17, 2019, 08:33 PM
Regarding batteries, those so inclined can open up the shell to access the battery wires/solder points on the main board. De solder the wires and make a new wire lead ling enough to extend out the back with a common plug on one end to except COTS 3s batteries. The process works well for the Typhoon H.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sep 17, 2019, 08:54 PM
What goes up, hopefully lands!
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEolfart
Why would you say that?
Not speaking for him, but in my instance I agree. Back 3 years ago 4K was new. Most couldn't afford a 4K TV, nor there was no reason to have one as there wasn't much out there to have it. It pretty much just upscaled 1080p. Even today with a 4K TV that I finally bought nothing is on 4K unless you got NetFlix. As I understand it just isn't much better it's highly compressed just to get it over the antiquated systems available. And cable TV can't send it over their systems.

The only reason I ever "Film" above 1080 60 is to scale zoom in on POI's down to 1080. 1080 TV is better than the human eye to most, so 4K is just hype to me as well...YMMV, just my thoughts on it. I bought a P3P with 4K for expandability for the future, here it is 3+ years later...I still rarely use it. Most people then and even now don't have a computer or screen that can even edit it either...well not unless you have 10+ hours to wait on such.

Then there is the data onboard to transfer to the SD..very few of todays aircraft have the bandwidth to transfer 4K to even use it. While many new ones say they have 100mbps it is scalable on quite a few, so what exactly is the Hype on 4K I ask ya

Has to be something like 80% of "normal" users are buying it just to say they have it. Much like when I was a kid...many wanted a schwinn, but a huffy got you to school just as good!
Last edited by Repaid1; Sep 17, 2019 at 09:19 PM.
Sep 17, 2019, 09:11 PM
PatR...pardon my ignorance, what is a "COTS" 3s battery?
Sep 17, 2019, 09:17 PM
Quote:
PatR...pardon my ignorance, what is a "COTS" 3s battery?
Allow me..."Commercial Off The Shelf"...I blame today's and some of yesterdays kids for this crap....LOL...BTW love your pic and name And before you ask..YMMV is "Your Mileage May Vary"
Last edited by Repaid1; Sep 17, 2019 at 09:32 PM.
Sep 17, 2019, 09:25 PM
Repaid...I'm NOT a video expert here. That said, when I started looking for an "affordable" camera drone I sought the opinion of a couple experienced aerial videographers who use them for a living and they both stated unequivocably that the detail quality captured by the 4K is noticeably superior over 1080, even scaling-down showed better results. I pull frame captures from my videos like the ones above because it gives me a selection of 1,000's of images to pick one out of a short period of time, while giving me a very high degree of detail.

EDIT: And two of those four images I posted above, I had to resize down in order to get the MP count down below RCGroup's 9.54 maximum count in order to post them here.
Last edited by THEolfart; Sep 17, 2019 at 09:30 PM.
Sep 17, 2019, 09:42 PM
Concur, I was told that as well, although I rarely screen capture, but the same thing applies to 4K video, scaled down to 1080 it is better...but honestly who really does that? Sure there is "that" guy here and there, but most people can barely edit and post right out of the camera and can't figure out what setting does what on manual and leave the darn things on Auto. Point being is yeah we bought it for what it can do, but as I said who really uses it? You get my point. Let's face it the YouTube generation thinks 4K is the next best thing since sliced bread, but have no idea how bad YouTube destroys their precious unedited 4K video that took them 10 hours to upload.
Sep 17, 2019, 10:59 PM
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Quote:
but have no idea how bad YouTube destroys their precious unedited 4K video that took them 10 hours to upload.
Lol yep, was just opening someones eyes to this one last week. Just to get a "proper quality" [email protected] video on youtube, you have to upscale it to 4k when exporting, CBR. Fast moving FPV video pratically requires this because of [email protected] bitrate starvation on youtube. Of course this means YouTube destroys any actual 4k @ 100Mbps video. Yeah it still looks nice and all, but it's sad.
Sep 18, 2019, 01:28 AM
I have to agree with you guys about the difference in what people think they are seeing and what they are actually being presented with YouTube’s “4k”. Even more perplexing is the percentage of people thinking they are seeing 4k resolution on 720 and 1080 monitors and TV’s.

Then we have the group that believes they need to shoot 4k stills for real estate work and spend a bunch of time and effort in post making it look perfect. The quality level of the media the stuff is published in would have done just as well at 1/3 the resolution, and RE agents are usually satisfied with cell phone pictures.

But the next resolution revolution with 6k and 8k is just around the corner, and people will line up to shell out big bucks for equipment their viewing and processing systems won’t be able to handle.

Sep 18, 2019, 04:06 AM
Vienna calling...
Quote:
Why would you say that?

Because "for what"?
For most of us 4k is absolutely not necessary.

When I bought my Chroma only the 1080 version was available and 4k was coming (in few weeks).
I wanted to wait.
Asked a good friend (professional photographer), he told me: Do not buy, it is not necessary, computer, software problems, extremely large video files, ... even the vendor told me (the price difference between 1080 and 4k was not big): Do not buy it (now).

In 99% 1080 is more than enough.
People make YT and FB videos, ... people watch on computers, smartphones, tablets, ...

I also use it for YT and FB, but I also give talks and lectures in larger rooms and lecture halls. There is a beamer...
So far I did not miss 4k in any way in the (few) Chroma videos I showed, the quality was/is very, very good.

I know, people say, you can zoom in better with 4k ... probably true.
How often do we zoom in in videos?
Probably today, 4 years later, this "software-problem" my photographer friend told me 2015 of, has also been solved. I use VSDC video editor for my videos, ... probably it also can do 4k.
I still do/would not like the much larger video files compared to 1080.

For professional videographers 4k is for sure a big advantage.
But I dare to say: For 99% of the people making drone videos 4k is only "a gag", not necessary.

Of course today every medium and high priced drone camera does have to have 4k, otherwise it would not sell anymore...

Walter
Sep 18, 2019, 04:25 AM
Vienna calling...
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatR
I have to agree with you guys about the difference in what people think they are seeing and what they are actually being presented with YouTube’s “4k”. Even more perplexing is the percentage of people thinking they are seeing 4k resolution on 720 and 1080 monitors and TV’s.

Then we have the group that believes they need to shoot 4k stills for real estate work and spend a bunch of time and effort in post making it look perfect. The quality level of the media the stuff is published in would have done just as well at 1/3 the resolution, and RE agents are usually satisfied with cell phone pictures.

But the next resolution revolution with 6k and 8k is just around the corner, and people will line up to shell out big bucks for equipment their viewing and processing systems won’t be able to handle.

You nailed it!

Walter

Quick Reply