May 28, 2015, 03:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeechF33A
What I like about the Chroma is that you can set your own flight restrictions. You're not a helpless pawn of DJI and their mandatory flight restriction zones for the Phantom series. For those who live in a location DJI considers a no-fly zone, the Chroma seems to be a good alternative.
Those no fly zones are so small, and are literally only around airports. I agree a factor for those who may be affected, but the NFZs enforced by the pilot app aren't even close to encompassing all the areas you are not supposed to fly. Major military installations, for example, aren't enforced or even shown on the map as NFZs.
to remove ads between posts
May 28, 2015, 03:34 PM
Consumer of Toast
One thing i am not happy about is the fact that this is yet another quad requiring a proprietary battery pack to fly with. DJI Yuneec and now the Chroma. Not a trend that I am happy to see.
May 28, 2015, 03:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip
Upgraded battery with over twice the flying times (claimed), improved GPS, also looks like new motors.

600$ - 349$ = 251$ for all these differences.
The upgraded battery I see, but now that it's proprietary, you'll be forced to buy another $100 replicate if needed. New motors it does look like. Would assume they're better. Upgraded GPS, I'll wait for the choir to report back, I put a Taoglas in mine for $15 and it blew away the stock little guy. Combine that with a ground plane and I have no problems.

I think you're out of your mind to buy a $600 BNF "QX4" essentially. But maybe that was Horizon's thought that would push more to the higher end models. We'll see how the market reacts. Like Horizon, but not sure how they came up with their pricing schematic.
May 28, 2015, 03:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyKoots
One thing i am not happy about is the fact that this is yet another quad requiring a proprietary battery pack to fly with. DJI Yuneec and now the Chroma. Not a trend that I am happy to see.
Agree... It is the worst feature of all the mentioned quads and also the solo.
May 28, 2015, 04:55 PM
Mastering the basics
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyKoots
I notice a significant bump in flight times for quads that are requiring proprietary batteries vs ones that take standard Lipo's. I'm not happy about having to pay a premium for batteries, but I am happy about the expected 30 minutes of flight time.

Also, I wonder if this is the end of the road for the Blade QX line? It looks like they have upgraded and streamlined everything on the Chroma vs the QX. Hopefully this means cheap QX's on the 2nd hand market as I'd like to get my hands on one to throw on a carbon fiber quad racing frame.
May 28, 2015, 05:10 PM
Consumer of Toast
Horizon is calling this a 400 size quad. When asked if the 350 qx line would still be available the answer was "for now". I would guess that the 350qx may be going away.
I would hope they would atleast replace it with something in the same price category. $349.99 for the current 350 BNF and $599.99 for the Chroma BNF leave a pretty big price gap.
The 350QX makes a great entry level 350 quad. But at nearly double the price I have a hard time putting the Chroma into the same catagory.

Also the price of spare packs on the Chroma have a MAP price of $119.99 if anyone was interested
May 28, 2015, 05:17 PM
If you look closely, the battery settings for the Blade 350QX3, the Q500 Typhoon, and now the Chroma are all the same: 11.1V 5400mAh 3S LiPo

IN fact, the battery charger & balancer for the Blade & the Q500 are identical - you can use either charger for either battery.

My third party battery charger, I never have to change settings between Q500 batteries or Blade 350 batteries when charging, just the balancing adaptor.

What is different is the housing. However, the power connector at the end - not the balancing connection - are also identical.

I wonder out loud then, for all you "do-it- yourself" types, could Blade 350 batteries be adopted for use in the Chroma, if somebody figured out how to make a simple housing for the battery to fit in the Chroma.

Maybe I'm smokin something wrong here, but if you have a Blade 350, just don't dump all your Blade 350 battier that quick - yet.
May 28, 2015, 05:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserteagle83
I notice a significant bump in flight times for quads that are requiring proprietary batteries vs ones that take standard Lipo's. I'm not happy about having to pay a premium for batteries, but I am happy about the expected 30 minutes of flight time.

Physically larger battery that has the extra juice to provide the longer flight time?

also, one word of caution. On the Q500, we are told "up to" 25 minutes of flight time, but if you are running the video camera all that time, I seldom get close anything over 20 minutes. I think it is 25 minutes *without* running the camera.

I imagine the Chroma will be similar. Still longer than the life of a Blade 350 battery however. One reason I would love to see a GoPro gimbal - for either the Chroma or the Q500, if you are using the gopro battery (which themselves ain't all that great - always carry spares) , you will extend flight time. I know with my Q500, there has been a couple of times that extra 5 minutes would of been really usefull.

Anyhow, keep your eyes open for that. Also along those lines, be prepared for - my guess only here now - the possible shorter battery life once the 4K camera comes out. Sometimes a better and/or bigger sensor in any digital camera sucks back more juice and battery life. I notice that in my Nikons. My old 12 mp D700 has twice, maybe three times the battery life of my 36mp D800. Different batteries mind you, so I am comparing apples and oranges to a degree, but both cameras have the same sized sensor, I use the same lenses, etc, but man oh man, that D800 just suck them batteries dry by comparison.

So just saying, keep yer eyes open.
May 28, 2015, 08:36 PM
I'm Bonafide!
The battery for the QX3 is 3000mah.

Also, I agree with the other poster that a DJI is a NO GO for me because THEY decide the flight restrictions instead of the pilot. I'm not paying 1200 bux for a nanny quad. Best thing you can do right now because of all this proprietary crap...build your own and control your own destiny!
May 28, 2015, 08:45 PM
Mastering the basics
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight2
The battery for the QX3 is 3000mah.

Also, I agree with the other poster that a DJI is a NO GO for me because THEY decide the flight restrictions instead of the pilot. I'm not paying 1200 bux for a nanny quad. Best thing you can do right now because of all this proprietary crap...build your own and control your own destiny!
I'm still flying the original QX so I'm flying with 2200mAh's. I have a ton of then so it's not worth swapping to the larger 3000's. Also I always said that I would upgrade to the larger batteries once I crashed it as the battery tray would need to be swapped out. (Knock on wood) that Hasn't happened yet. In any case, the DJI is really not an iption for me either, but I was dead set on the Yuneec 500+, but now It looks l ike I need to do some more research. This might be a nice competitor to the Yuneec 500. Decisions, Decisions.
May 28, 2015, 09:00 PM
Looking for the perfect heli
So are these smaller than the Q500+?! Thought those were true 500-series, but Blade is calling the Chroma a 400-series? What is the impact on visibility, stability, etc?
Thx!
May 28, 2015, 09:18 PM
Surface, Air & Water Rc Toys..
It looks very much like the same 350QX frame but may appear a little bigger due to the 10" props.. The body may also me thicker to accommodate the larger 5,400mAh battery so could very well be considered 400size...

I have fully compared but I would say I can fly my 350QX just as far as I can with my f450 with the 450 maybe being able to go a little further based on the RX system I have it in versus what's in the 350....

The only reall difference is the color of both model with the 350QX being all white makes it a little harder then Red and White on my 450....

As for Stability, IMO the smaller they are the more they are influence by wind.... BUT still my CGo2 makes everything look smooth.
May 28, 2015, 09:53 PM
Consumer of Toast
400 or 500 the size is somewhat insignificant. Stability wise the 500 should be better however with the advanced flight controll systems and 3 axis gimbals on both the Yuneec and Chroma it will likely go unnoticed.
The 2 main features that are setting the 500 and Chroma apart (the price is nearly identical) are The fact that Horizon will directly support the Chroma. Though they sell the Yuneec Q500 they do not support it after the sale. All Customer service there after will be directed to Yuneec directly. I was assured that Horizon will directly support the Chroma as they do with all other Blade branded products.
Secondly the Chroma will be much faster in flight. Though very stable and a great flyer the Q500 is not much in the speed department. The Chroma is stated to have a 40+mph top speed when flown in advanced mode. It will also be able to reach 20mph in follow me mode the Q500 only goes about 10mph in follow me mode.
I was also told that Horizon is working on a post release update (software/firmware) to increase the follow me speed to 30+mph on the Chroma.
May 28, 2015, 09:53 PM
I got to say the looks of the 350qx from blade is one of the better, stock from the factory, looking multirotors. The DJI Phantoms look god awful. It's one of the ugliest looking flying machines I've ever laid eyes on. Almost all of the Blade line is pretty sweet looking straight from the factory.

The blade line is my all around favorite. I have the nano, 180, 200, 350qx2 and LOVE them all. It's not to say they are perfect but performance, looks, and price for me they are fantastic.

I truly do love Horizon Hobby, blade, E-flite, Parkzone...
May 28, 2015, 10:03 PM
Phantom 3P, Inspire 1, P4
This little quad will be a big hit. Its a truly RTF out of the box quad. Should also be pretty reliable using the ST10+.

Quick Reply